http://www.cortinasi...om/contacto.htm

#2 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:08 PM

Products of this type were shown last month at "deconarq 2011" in Cancun, they should be shown again this week at EXPHOTEL 2011 in Cancun. I spoke with a vendor of Storm Catcher products last year.

Storm Catcher

Cancun
Calle Punta Nohku
SM 32, M 4, Lote 22
Cancún Q. Roo 77508
Tel. (998) 886 3071

Playa del Carmen
Ctra. Federal Cancun-Tulum
M 2, Lt. 1, Local 13, Planta Alta
Esq. Constituyentes
Playa del Carmen, Q. Roo
Tel. (984) 859 2222 / 23

#3 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:16 AM

I've seen these installed on a couple of condos on the island, the new/renovated place near la Hach and Peninsula.

What I don't understand is how, unless there is a sizable gap between the screen and the glass, it stops glass breakage. A flying board at 100mph is a flying board. If the screen is flexible and can touch the glass, then the 100mph board can touch the glass. The result is broken glass, wind and water into your home.

If there were a foot or so gap and the fabric was stretched taught, this might work to protect the glass.....but certainly not in the applications shown in some of the pictures. They might work as "missile" protection to prevent entry of large objects, but you still lose the window glass.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:45 AM

Mark, your correct in your observations. They have these installed (or something very similar) at the Cozumel Airport.

I took a really good look at them when they had them up last year. The problem was how close they installed the screens to the windows. It would not stop flying debris from hitting, and breaking a widow, or door.

My guess is that the fabric would stop something from penetrating the house (like a 2x4)however, I would be interested in how it would do on sharp projectiles, like flying roof tin, and large glass shards.

They used huge eye bolts to anchor the straps all around. When you remove the screen, your left with some pretty large and ugly eye bolts decorating your doors and windows.

Of course, those can be removed, year in, year out.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 drjoe

drjoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:natural wellness/health ,the sea ,food , meeting interesting people

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:36 AM

We have a similar (but not exact ) type of "storm catcher" in our condo in Peninsula Grand Cozumel. They are made of very heavy duty fabric similar in type to commercial pool covers in the states . We know that as far as Cozumel is concerned the are untested & their usefullness rewmains to be seen . But we were assured that they have been very effective protecting windows in other hurricane prone areas. On the balconies I believe they will work well. I am not as certain with the windows. There is about 1 foot between the fabric & the glass when properly installed, I'm not sure is that is enough. If you are not in a hurry to install a window guard I would be glad to give as honest of an account of how this system works out after we have had a storm that might be considered a fair test. My guess is that the particulars of installation are going to be a critical issue. I have become aware that there is some antipathy towards my adress in Cozumel & would like to go on record saying that the residents here are good people and the majority of us were unaware of any controversy reguarding the development prior to making our purchases . This forum has been a great source of information to me & on the occasion when I can provide useful info in return I will try to do so

#6 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:47 PM

i had a friend who was a rep for these hurricane screens here in cozumel and was about to get an estimate from him for our home. he then told me he lost confidence in the product and would NOT sell them to a friend so he quit selling them.
that pretty much changed my mind. plus the big ugly bolts that have to be no more than a foot apart. lots of holes for a bigger window.
the material is trampoline material. very hard to stretch and it only allows 3% of the wind to come thru. if glass broke, your home would still be protected from rain and wind. a light mist is all that MIGHT come thru, according to CAT4 storms. i do love the idea of being able to see thru them and have light....however...

for me, i am sticking with my rails and painted plywood shoved into place when a storm is coming. i have storage...that is what it is for!
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#7 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:30 PM

If the glass breaks I think that water would easily penetrate the house. From the pix there appears to be gaps between the wall connectors and the wind and would get in the house if the window broke. When we are in a downpour and the wind is blowing at 135mph+ the slightest gap will allow surprising amounts of water to enter the house (depending on wind direction). As we all know if enough wind gets in the house the windows can explode from the inside out. I would stay with professionl grade metal panels or sheet rock above exterior walls and metal curtains or sheet rock on windows and doors below the wall line.

Cozumel Diving

#8 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:20 AM

I can speak to what happened to us during Wilma. We had the aluminum accordion shutters installed the moment we closed on the condo. We lost our sliding glass doors, not from impact, but from the wind pressure literally breaking the glass in the frame. This, in-turn with what was then a silly arrangement of accordion shutters inside the glass panes on the corner bedrooms allowed a lot of water into the condo.

The combination of two windows on opposite ends of the condo and the fact that our bedroom doors were shut caused a wall to blow over and several gypsum board ceiling sections to fall out. The owners of Nah Ha all collectively agreed to redesign the glass system to prevent this from happening again. All owners were required to install aluminium hurricane shutters and a stronger storefront system that we used computer analysis to design. Some of us upgraded our glass even further to tempered, laminated glass in lieu of float glass.

As drjoe stated, I think these screens might work if they are several feet from the glass. If the glass is compromised, then water and wind is going to get into your place.

In spite of the damage we got from Wilma, I am reasonably certain with the re-design, we could weather a pretty significant storm with only minor damage now. (Not that I want to test it.)

Nah Ha 602

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:26 AM

Let us hope you don't get the opportunity to test the new designs, Mark!

Assume the gypsum boards were replaced, too? As I understand it, that type of material shouldn't be used close to the ocean and particularly beachfront as you are.

#10 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:16 AM

Even though none of our hurricane panels were breached during Wilma, we had two windows in the highest area of the house (2 1/2 stories) implode from the extreme pressure. I am 100% with Mark that if anything is wind propelled into a window screen and it touches the window or sliding glass door the glass will be history and then both wind and water are going to be in your house.

Cozumel Diving

#11 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:01 AM

Believe me Carey, I don't want to tempt fate anytime soon.

We used durock cement board on the balconies with new uplift braces that were not installed the first time. I upgraded to laminated glass on the really big glass areas.

All the gypsum board inside is green board. We haven't had an issue with mold like some people have. We also don't have any leather in our place and I suspect that is some of the source for mold spores to get their start.

I would have preferred all of our walls to be concrete, but that isn't going to happen.

Nah Ha 602

#12 budaman

budaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

I would like to thank everyone for their observations on this subject...Carey started this post on my behalf based on a question I posted on another thread.

We have decided to go with the bid we received for these screens....it was the only cost effective measure we could come up with other than plywood. Unfortunately, we don't have the space to store plywood sheets or would we have confidence in having them installed properly if they were needed....lets hope no one has the need this year.

The screens will be installed so there will be appropriate deflection angles and will also have side skirts to prevent intrusion from the sides. The eyebolts are removable & will have color matched covers for the anchors to keep debris from entering them & clogging the threads when not in use. This system will enable them to be deployed in less than an hour...this will make our mgmnt.company happy. Plus we can store the screens under the bed.

I'll try to post pics when they are done with the installation.

Mike

#13 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:02 AM

I was just wondering how far can you get those screens from the windows? If I remember from looking at SB, there isnt alot of depth on those patios in front of the windows?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#14 budaman

budaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

While it won't be the optimum distance the entire height of the windows, it will be 24" at the base to about 10" at the top of the windows.So, in the middle of the window it should be about 15". Optimum distance is 18"if they were vertical, but since they are at an angle, the deflection distance will require less distance. I really hope we don't need to find out.....kind of like fuel mileage on cars....your actual mileage may vary, as they state in small print :lol:

Mike

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:36 AM

Do keep us posted, Mike. And a picture would be great if you ever get the opportunity to take one. Hopefully during a dry run. May your money be wasted on screens you never have to deploy. But, sadly, I'm afraid that'll be the day!

#16 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:38 AM

Budaman,

Be sure to verify that your property manager will install these for you. Some PM companies state in their policies that they will close accordian shutters, but will not install plywood shutters due to the time required to install the plywood.

Nah Ha 602

#17 budaman

budaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:39 AM

Already have that issue covered. One of the reasons we decided on this system. Of course, it WOULD give me another excuse to hop down there. Never been thru a hurricane :blink: Not the kind of excitement I need or look forward to though.

Wife was down there this weekend & said the winds were so high on the upper terrace, it was moving the patio chairs around...pushed them all against the railings & even turned a few over. These weren't light aluminum chairs either. We did discover we need to re-seal the bottoms of the patio doors as we are getting some leakage. Just like here, it's always something. Wish you could ship some of the rain up here....3 weeks plus without a drop & 14 days straight of 100+ temps. With the constant wind it's like being in a convection oven.

Mike

#18 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:13 AM

You didn't say which condo you were in, but we had one of our aluminum, chaise lounge chairs get "removed" from our sixth floor balcony due to a sudden storm. Needless to say, it was destroyed. It happens.

You can weigh them down with zip tied diver weights.

Nah Ha 602

#19 budaman

budaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:37 AM

We're in Summer Breezes on 25th at the top of the hill. Three stories & we're on the 3rd. The common terrace is above us, which was were the chairs were rockin & rollin. The stools on our front terrace didn't move though. She said it sounded like a tornado going through!

Mike

#20 budaman

budaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:14 AM

Happy to report first stage is done. The anchors have been installed. Screens next month. The only hiccup was they didn't have the colored anchor caps, so will have to paint them. Also were missing a few, but will be replaced when screens arrive.

Mike

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users