2 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:19 AM

A 40 year old tourist, a U.S. citizen, died last Thursday evening when he fell 80 meters from his sail into the ocean landing on his face. The captain and mate of the boat that took him out are currently in jail and possible negligent homicide charges may be filed. Apparently witnesses indicate the man was drunk when he contracted for immediate services and should never have been allowed to go anywhere, let alone up in the air.

#2 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

not sure of the details but the crew have been released. saw him yesterday. some confusion as to if the harness failed. my honey worked on these boats in the past and it is almost impossible for the harnesses to fail or break. sorry for the loss and all involved.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:57 PM

When I did some consulting work with Sand Dollar sports, they also have a parasail boat out. Their rigging was testing, and certified for fitness, yearly.

You can not SEE that the line is beyond the tinsel straighten, you can not SEE that the harness is at the breaking point.

From what I read, and the injuries reported, it would have been the harness that broke. The gentleman in question sustained head, and internal injuries from the impact of the water.

That would indicate that one, or both sides of the harness broke, and pitched him head first into the water from a great height.

If it had been a shoot malfunction he would have been pulled out to sea, or into the iron rock.

As for the tourist being impaired...where to heck was the crew!!!!

My thoughts are with the family.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users