20 replies to this topic

#21 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:35 AM

It's got to be a pet peeve of local property managers handling homes where the owners have never spent much time on the island or handled all their own affairs here of awhile. Because unless an owner has done this, they have no conception of the sheer quantity of time it takes to keep places here even half shipshape. I guess condos would be easier and hence the lower pricing.

But for homes? Lord in Heaven there is a lot to be done most of which Mike has laid out. It's not necessarily difficult work in most cases. But it can be very time consuming especially if you spend time waiting for parts, waiting for workers to show, supervising workers, paying bills that for whatever reason have to be paid in person.

Owners who have never managed their own properties have no conception of the time involved. And they often don't want to pay a fair price for the service because of this.

There's also the conception among many, I suspect, that they should be able to get the work done cheaper because it's in Mexico. Well, to that I say, first of all, most of these managers are U. S. citizens with English as their first language. They are internet savvy and actually communicate with you quickly about things like repairs -- at least the good ones do.

So keep that in mind when you compare property management prices for your place. You get what you pay for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users