Photo

Whale Shark Trip Operator Recommendation?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:38 PM

Thanks for the breakdown, Dan. Once again, age and treachery trump youth and beauty. Less than $100 more for much less stress with the puddle jumper.

Folks, the whale shark tour is a MUST do! If you are under 40 and in good shape, by all means do the ferry, bus, etc. Knock yourselves out. I wouldn't. Take the puddle jumper if you want to save the rest of your day and your sanity.

#22 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:14 PM

Or you can stay a night (or 3) on Isla Mujeres. I'm flying into Cancun and that's where I'm going first... then heading over to Coz.

When I went to Holbox in '06 I took the ferry to Playa, bus to the Cancun bus station and then the bus to Chiquila where you catch the 10 minute ferry to Isla Holbox. Inexpensive... you don't need a tour operator to guide you there. Spent 2 nights on Holbox. I like stretching out and seeing other places in the area.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#23 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

Enjoyed that post, Dan. In fact, I laughed my ass off. Because I'm out of shape, too, and I was kind of thinking that experience would be just like you described it. You are intrepid. And a good writer. But maybe not a good waiter. But neither am I. Ja Ja.

#24 diverdicozumel

diverdicozumel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Travel, Culture, Rotary, Real Estate,Food,
    Great People

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

We did the Whale Shark trip yesterday from Cozumel. Booked through Duende Tours in Cozumel, Ismael locally at 987 857-2884 office, cell 987 876 0613. I can't say this day could have been any better! Flew out of Coz at 7ish on a 6 seater to Cancun, then our van was waiting to take us to the boat in Cancun, about a 25 minute ride, on the boat for a hour and 15 ( could be longer or shorter) depending on the shark location. Then 9 of us took turns swimming with these magnificent creatures! The tour from start to finish was so professional. Guides were enthusiastic, fun and on time. There were so many whale sharks! Hundreds I would say. 30+ boats out there, each boat had their own sharks. Never felt crowded. My friend did this trip to Holbox said this was so much better due to the clarity of the water in Isla Mujeres. She said she could see the whale sharks entire bodies, where in Holbox, did not. Big comfortable, clean, top condition boat.

They had food, drinks, and on the way back we stopped off of Isla Mujeres for a swim and ate fresh Ceviche that the Boat Captain prepared for us. What a wonderful day. Cost was 300 us a person, included the flight. I felt that it was well worth the money considering we did not have an overnight stay off of Cozumel. One more check off the bucket list!

#25 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:54 PM

Your report mirrors ours, Diverdi! What a fantastic experience!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users