7 replies to this topic

#1 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:11 PM

we are going to fill our wall side with bouganvillia (sp?) and thinking about clumping bamboo in between, the kind that is not very invasive and can be trimmed back with success. anyone have any that want to get rid of?

since sam's took away my pretty forestral view, i need to replace it with something!
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:23 AM

Bamboo is the worst mosquito magnet I've ever encountered. At least it is so in NC. And it's difficult to get rid of, at least most species are.

I would offer up the following suggestions for fast growers that will provide you with a good screen and look pretty.

#1. The vine copa de oro with the big yellow flowers grows like a weed and if you set up a trellis for it to cling to.
#2. Bougainvillea grows like a weed and also doesn't need water but it also needs something to cling to or lean on and it will end up flowering up high with a vine trunk down below that doesn't give you proper coverage.
#3. red hibiscus does great here -- the ones with different colored flowers are slower growers and often more tempermental but the red hibiscus loves it here and will grow quickly into a tall bush with many lovely flowers. (My pup likes to eat these and so do our iguanas.
#4. Night blooming jasmine does wonderfully here as well. It does require periodic watering to grow really well.
#5. Oleander is commonly used for dense hedging. I remember seeing it a long time ago bordering one of the Cancun beach strip hotels back in the days when you had still had to take a shuttle from the airport to the downtown bus station to get to Playa. It was a good 8 or 10 feet tall. Also loves it here and is a fast grower. I don't believe it needs much water.

Let me see if I can get AJ, the family gardener, to come up and check out your space and give you some rec.s. I'll be in touch by email.

#3 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:06 AM

FYI- Oleander is highly poisonous if animals ingest it.

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:38 PM

My dogs wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole just like they don't touch other things that are bad for them -- including onions. Castor Bean is another hellish one. They love hibsiscus flowers, however. And so do the iguanas. Oleander will grow into a tree if you let it so you can make a higher hedge with a trunk below your wall and bushy starting, say, 3 feet up. Very hearty to this clime as are every other plant I mentioned in this thread. We've tried 'em all.

#5 Guest_Jaccob2_*

Guest_Jaccob2_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:57 AM

Clumping bamboo is fine, just make sure it's not a running bamboo. The issue with clumping bamboo is usually temperature--it needs warmer temperatures, and extended freezes can kill it.

Once it's established, it takes very little maintenance. Put plenty of good compost in the soil when you plant it, and you'll have a beautiful hedge in a year or two.

#6 Sandy H

Sandy H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Nauticab, did you ever find clumping bamboo? We would love to have some too.

#7 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

nope... my trees pretty much block the view
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe