• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa L.

Lisa L.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:55 AM

Hi - longtime reader - first time poster. This has always been my go-to site when I prepare for my trips to Coz. For the first time, we are renting a house this year instead of staying at a resort so it will be an adventure.

We want to rent a car and after reading almost everything I can about renting cars in Mexico, I decided I would book with Hertz/Avis/Dollar or Budget since they are at the airport. I would have like to book with ISIS as she has the most positive reviews but I will be traveling with a large group(7) of adults including senior citizens so I don't want to add shuttling to a rental car facility on to their travel day.

For the past week, I have gone to all of the major rental car companies so I could compare rates for cars as well as LDW (insurance). Avis' site worked the best but was very expensive. Both Hertz and Dollar quoted $95 for the week..which has to be an error but I have tried requoting it several times and the site keeps saying that ist he weekly rate. I just wanted to compare apples to apples... Avis comparable rate was $400 for the week.

Anyone else have trouble with the rental car websites?

#2 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:24 AM

You might consider calling them and talking with a real person by phone. Also, make sure that you have both kinds of insurance coverage (the part the pays for people and property, and the part that pays for damages to your car). There is a lot of info on this site (search for "car insurance" or "car rentals") that you should look over. If you have a couple drivers you might consider renting a couple cars. I rented a 4-door from ISIS once that worked very well and was between 35 and 45 per day with all the insurances. Email Margarita or call her to discuss your needs (2-door/4-door; AC or not; manual or automatic). I've seen the car rental spaces across the street from the airport but have never rented from them. Remember to consider how much space your luggage is going to take. Sometimes I've had to send people in the vans because I could not fit both people and luggage in the car. Have a great time.

#3 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:47 AM

I use Executive all the time which is located just outside the airport by the circle.
They have various car rental companies that they monitor and the prices are very good.
Hertz and Avis at the airport will charge you more for their insurance plus another charge when you drop the car back...hidden in the small print..??
Go online to www.carrentals.com and click in CZM (it will bring up Cozumel Airport)
scroll down and look at the rates on certain cars...
I agree maybe having two small to mid size cars would be better than one big van...? more flexibility for people who want to stay at the house you are renting or for those who want to go to the beach or shopping etc...
Good luck and enjoy your visit to Cozumel.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#4 Linkslady

Linkslady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:33 AM

The $95 is correct! But you have to add insurance on top of that. We pay approximately an additional $25 per day for the SDW insurance which is full coverage and zero deductible. It usually averages $35-$40 per day including insurance... and that is an automatic with a/c and c/d player.

#5 Gator & T

Gator & T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

we always rent from Thrifty/Dollar. They're just across the street from the airport and will pick you up and drive you pick up your car. They always have the lowest prices and their customer service can't be beat.Not to mention they're honest as can be. Carmen & Russell rock!

#6 2cozlovers

2cozlovers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Diving, living the good life!

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:47 PM

We have rented from ISIS in the past and they would pick us up and then drive us to the rental office. Never tried having them meeting us at the airport, so not sure if this is possible.

#7 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:53 PM

I have seen several posts where Executive has been the source for credit card numbers being used for things other than credit cards. I've never used them, but "eyes wide open" is the best idea.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#8 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:42 PM

Another possible scenario to consider - after a long and tiring day of travel, especially for seniors, maybe all of you (and your luggage!) could take the airport shuttle van to the house. Then when you are rested and ready just you and your partner take a cab to your chosen car rental office. That way Isis is back in the mix of possibilties. No need for everyone to be there waiting while you go thru the interminable paperwork process. Maybe you can even do it the next day if your house is within walking distance of a store &/or restaurant. Just a thought.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#9 jules55

jules55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:48 PM

Does anyone know where a smart car can be rented?

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:04 PM

Wow, I saw a few the other week. Or maybe I just saw one alot. It had a rental sticker, but it isn't coming to me. I will keep saying "Smart Car" in Canadian accent till it comes to me.....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#11 4aGoodCoz

4aGoodCoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Travel, food, family and friends.

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:03 PM

We use Thrifty without much issue. We were "forced" to sign an accident report before leaving with the car last year. The first few times we rented, we politely declined and all was well, but last year it was "mandatory". I plan on calling Thrifty stateside before we head down in Feb. Anyone ever heard of that before (preventative accident report) with any of the other agencies? Is it common practice?
Christie
"I have to go, I feel Iím sinkin'. I just donít know, but I canít stop thinkin'...Mexico." - Firefall

#12 Linkslady

Linkslady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

4agoodcoz.. Thrifty started doing that to us too when we take out the full insurance coverage.. I don't know why.. it's the same form we signed when we DID fill out an accident report. Do you pay the extra $$ for full coverage? Will have to ask Carmen about that..

Thinking about taking a pic of the blank form after I sign it just to have "proof" if I ever need it.. :P

#13 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:22 PM

Seriously, you signed a blank accident form? That's a little scary.... I mean could they fill stuff in above your name?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#14 4aGoodCoz

4aGoodCoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Travel, food, family and friends.

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

Linkslady: Yes, we always buy the full coverage, "walk away" insurance. Fishy, huh?

cvchief: I know, right? That's why I'm going to call Thrifty before we go this winter.
Christie
"I have to go, I feel Iím sinkin'. I just donít know, but I canít stop thinkin'...Mexico." - Firefall

#15 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:48 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:50 PM

Smart Fortwo Rental Avis, Explora Caribe Tours( not just for boat people only)
and others in Cozumel have them, +/- 332.49 MEX base w/o ins. Good for 2 people and 1 suitcase.

Hope this helps

T.

#16 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:22 AM

Linkslady: Yes, we always buy the full coverage, "walk away" insurance. Fishy, huh?

cvchief: I know, right? That's why I'm going to call Thrifty before we go this winter.

I don't get it? I am all for full coverage. I used to rent from another firm and after someone raised insurance questions, I changed companies. True or not, it scared me off of them. I have rented from Isis and would recommend Margarita highly. She is nice and I think she would be there if there was an issue from all I have read. We have been renting for the last several times from another guy, because he give me a good rate with full coverage on an automatic with a/c. I don't mind a stick, but the wife prefers an automatic. Isis has like one automatic which gets a premium and isn't always available.

My other comment was directed at my understanding of the Thrifty pre-signed accident report. As posted, I understood it to be an blank accident report that customers were force to sign ahead of time which would seem to mean that in case of an accident, Thrifty could fill in their version of the accident above the customers signature. If that is correct, I did find that a little scary. So that really would not make Thrifty move to the top of my list of choices.

More importantly, 4aGoodCoz, do I HAVE to wait to winter to come back? :o

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#17 Lomalinda

Lomalinda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:03 PM

Avis rents smart cars. We saw several with their sign a few weeks ago. Think they're pretty pricey, though.

#18 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:41 PM

Thats who it was!

Specialty smart fortwo Cabrio

And it looks cheaper than the jeep and everything else on the web site. Weird. Goto avis.com and stick in CZM. I didn't look at all the insurance or all.

That smart car seems to be the car for those who never want to take a friend for dinner. :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users