14 replies to this topic

#1 dawn76

dawn76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:50 PM

Hello,
I am new to these boards but wanted to see if I could get some assistance with trip planning. I have been to Cozumel before a couple of years ago, and stayed at Hotel Cozumel with the all inclusive package. It was fine and being within walking distance to town was great!
I am currently looking to book a 3-4 day trip after the 4th of July. Basically, that week or weekend. My budget is extremely tight, but I really need to get away. Airfare from my part of the country is astronomical, but some of the packages that were somewhat possible were at Hotel Cozumel or at the Sabor. We are not divers, but I enjoy the beach and snorkeling. We are either looking for a place with nightlife or to stay somewhere where we can get to town easily/cheaply.
As a side note, I loved Cozumel while I was there. It was absolutely amazing! The people were extremely friendly everywhere I went! I am so hoping that I can get there soon!
So, question would be which resort Hotel Coz or Sabor? Or, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
thanks

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:07 PM

Scratch Sabor. It is at least 10 miles south of town. Cost of taxi EACH way to town, about $15usd's.

The beaches are closer out this way (I live less then a half mile from Sabor)and will can walk to a couple of them, but your really going to need to rent a car, or your going to paying a fortune in taxi's.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 dawn76

dawn76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the response! Looks like I really need to be closer to town, and rent a car for a day or so.

#4 dawn76

dawn76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:42 PM

One more question, I forgot to ask in my first post. Is it better to arrange for shuttle from airport when booking trip? The price seems high.

#5 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:11 PM

NO!!! Double NO!!! You will pay 3X more when buying your transfer at the time of booking. What a racket that is. After exiting customs and Xray machine area, just hurry over to the right to a window that says "Taxis"...do NOT stop to talk to ANYONE no matter how official they look and no matter what they say. The time share sharks are vicious. Have a good time.

#6 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

To the far right as you exit. Just before the outside door. I think it says "shuttles". Do not talk to any of the seemingly helpful, nicely dressed young men. Much cheaper to get a shuttle at the airport, as opposed to buying online.

LOL, Pecosgirl! Very descriptive!

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:27 AM

you know, try to see what you would get on rates staying at the Blue Angle. Much better in my opinion then either of the places you mentioned.

Not that it is really upscale (it's not),but the location, and the staff are wonderful.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:20 AM

We like Blue Angel. For that matter..check out Villa Blanca. La Hach and La Palapita are right across the street and have live music.

#9 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:16 AM

Just out of curiosity, what rate can u get a shuttle at the airport?
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#10 Jean Mc

Jean Mc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:23 AM

Shared shuttle price varies by distance. Seem to recall that we pay $8 per person to go north to Condumel.

#11 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:45 PM

Wow - last time I book online then... We paid 37.50 each to go to Allegro labor day week :/
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#12 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:08 PM

I can never remember, it's either 8 or 10 bucks for two of us to go to our downtown hotel.

Don't book shuttle online!

#13 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:46 PM

Here is a link (from TravelNotes) that contains the shared van fares from the airport:

http://home.pcisys.n...ePriceSmall.jpg

Valli

#14 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:08 AM

Yep - a scam - that sucks for us, too late... We aid $37 for round trip transfers in September to the allegro... so we lost $40...

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:34 AM

Well, now, wait a minute. I pay $45 pesos/person to go one mile to my house in centro. Condumel is very close to downtown so that would explain the cheap by comparison price. Allegro is a 20 minute drive from the airport so I would think $15 would be a fair price. Problem is, this is per person. A taxi from the airport for 4 people would cost perhaps $40 total including extra for an onsite pick up and more than 3 people. But you can't get a taxi from the airport. Zat is zee problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users