• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Polly

Polly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:38 PM

My friends and I (3 or 4 of us) are looking to rent a private home mid-March 2012. We'd like to be close to downtown as well as the waterfront. Does anyone have any experience with either of these properties (Casa Tropicale or Island House)? Thanks.

#2 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:32 PM

I stayed at Island House a few summers ago. It is in a good location - closer to the waterfront than Casa Tropicale. I can't comment on Tropicale, but the location is also very good, and is probably nicer in terms of interior.
Island House is very close to 11th as well, easy walk to Mega or Chedraui (grocery stores) and a 2 minute walk to Oxxo. Area is very safe. The grounds and gardens are beautiful. The pool is very nice and a good size. However, it is older and showing its age and definitely can use some upgrades. There is a main house with about 2 or 3 bedrooms and kitchen and living room. Furnishings are older and somewhat drab. Then towards the back, there is a separate section which has very large master bedroom and bathroom with doors directly to the pool area. That section is nicer than the main house. Either place will probably work out well for you.

Valli

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:56 AM

I have also seen Island House and would agree with Valli's assessment. Excellent location but was showing its age 8 years ago when I looked at it. Can't speak to the other property. Sorry

#4 Polly

Polly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:56 PM

Thanks Valli and Carey for your input regarding Island House. I've only been to Cozumel for day trips while on cruises, so have not had an opportunity to visit most of the island. We have decided to stay close to town based on the information we read on this site. There appear to be several (some fairly new) villas in the Corpus Cristi area, but we weren't sure if that would be too far from downtown.

We are a group of single friends in our 40's and 50's, each from a different state. In the past, we have done cruises as well as all-inclusive resorts together, but we have decided to try something different next year.

If you have any recommendations for other villas, location, or any other input about things to do, it would be greatly appreciated. One person in our group is a diver and will probably be off on his own most days, but the rest of us are interested in exploring the town, snorkeling, sailing, and perhaps taking a cooking class. We may even try the Cozumel Bar Hop, although I would hope to get in with a small group rather than a busload of people.

Thanks again for your input. This site has been great for obtaining information about our next adventure.

Polly

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:09 AM

You might consider a condo downtown.... Like maybe Las Ventanas? Maybe B404.... 1 block back from Melgar and a few from the Plaza. Nice walking distance to lots of nice stuff. Even a little ocean view. Gated parking for your rental car. etc, etc. Here ends the commercial.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

Las Ventanas does have a convenient location on the quiet north side of El Centro. Haven't looked at any places but the location is attractive and because its not right on the ocean, the prices would be much better and because it's nearly new everything should be shipshape.

#7 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

Well, Carey, we will be 'in residence' the end of the month. Stop and grab a Sol.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#8 Polly

Polly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:32 AM

Hi CVChief. Las Ventanas does look very nice. Does Unit B404 happen to be your personal unit? How does one go about getting rental information for these condos? Thanks.

Polly

#9 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

Polly,
I have stayed at Las Ventanas. Not that particular unit. The complex is very nice. The units are well laid out and spacious. As Carey mentioned they are fairly new. The pool is very nice and large. The location is perfect if you want to be close to everything in town. It is a pretty far walk to the Mega or Chedraui but there is a small grocery a couple blocks away.

#10 Jean Mc

Jean Mc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:41 AM

If you are referring to Casa Tropical at El Cantil Condos, we have stayed there. There were four adults and two children. It is a beautiful unit with a wide balcony complete with hot tub. The property is located less than a mile south of the ferry pier right on the waterfront. The facilities are wonderful. The only objection we had was street noise.

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:00 PM

Polly,

Why, yes, yes it is our personal unit. I don't have the web site done yet, but you can look at it here: I sent you a PM with my email.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#12 Polly

Polly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:07 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your input. We have decided on Las Ventanas. Can't believe we have to wait 8 months!

Polly

#13 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:10 PM

This is obviously of no help to the OP, but...

There are possibly multiple properties on the rental market called "Casa Tropicale". However, if you're referring to a 3BR house on 14th that's listed with a couple of vacation rental companies, we've stayed there in the past and will be staying there in February. Very nice condition, decent furniture, great quiet location, private pool, rooftop palapa with hammocks. Not really walking distance to much of anything unless you're a hiker.

#14 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:03 AM

MSTEVENS, it is confusing the double name. We stayed in the house last March and it was spectacular. When we come down with a group again we wont hesitate to stay here again.

#15 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

MSTEVENS, it is confusing the double name. We stayed in the house last March and it was spectacular. When we come down with a group again we wont hesitate to stay here again.

Well, as nice as Casa Tropicale is, we won't be staying there again after the end of this month...

We've rented Casa Tropicale when our first choice wasn't available. I recently learned the reason that house wasn't available this month was because it was on the market. So, we made an offer and it was accepted yesterday. I reckon we'll be staying at our own place from now on!

It will remain available as a rental when we're not there but I suspect we have months of bureaucracy to contend with before we can offer it as a vacation rental again.

#16 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

Congrats!!!!

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#17 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

Congrats!!!!

Thanks. We're all just about beside ourselves with excitement. The opportunity arose and was pounced on so fast I'm also a bit terrified.

I had to drag my parents to Mexico with heavy equipment the first time they came, but they were the driving force behind getting this house! They're talking about getting FM3's, a car, etc. Total converts.

We'd already made our non-refundable payments for Casa Tropicale for this trip when the opportunity came up. Even if we're able to close on this trip, it certainly won't be upon arrival. Thus, we'll be in the odd position of staying in a rented house on 14 Norte while we may own one on 23 Sur.

#18 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

Nothing from nothing, a lawyer is a good thing when buying property..... I'm just saying.....

I would so like to spend more than 10 days or so at a clip at our place...... :)

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#19 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:10 AM

We're all just about beside ourselves with excitement. The opportunity arose and was pounced on so fast I'm also a bit terrified.

It would be wise to be a bit terrified. I would urge to to run, don't walk and start working with an attorney that will fully protect all your interests exclusively. You have a tremendous learning curve to climb in order to learn enough to begin to know what questions to ask.

If you intend to hopefully one day make this a rental, I won't express any opinion on that, but would urge you to actually know what the laws, regulations and taxes you face. I would not go by what about 85% of the people have been getting away with for years. Newspapers print articles now about every six to eight weeks regarding the huge market of illegal, unlicensed rentals that are in unfair competition with legal tax payers and that unfair advantage is helping to kill the hotel business. Was this house as a rental actually paying the 11% IVA and the 3% hospitality tax they claimed to charge? The majority collect, but they have no means of paying even if they wanted. In 2010 the state legislature passed an unnecessary law just adding emphasis to standard Mexican law, that foreign owned rental villas are not exempted from tax requirements. On the Pacific coast, Puerta Vallarta as one example, every year (for the last seven that I know of) La Hacienda (Mexican IRS) has sent letters in Spanish and in English to all foreign owners reminding them on the legal restrictions and tax obligations.

Since this property is on the edge of the jungle, I would hope the lawyer would be very careful about checking the property deed the work of the Notario Publico, I am guessing this was under a fideicomiso. Besides a competent and honest attorney, you will need the services of a Notario Publico.

I wish you luck, happiness and success, but the glut of real estate that has sat on the market for years, especially in the Corpus Christi area stands as testament to people that had unrealistic expectations. There are success stories, but they are not close to the majority. Most failures come from not doing their homework and having no idea what they were getting into. For years this forum has had numerous recommendations for people to come here, rent and see how well they adapt and their comfort level with the expectations of being eventual full time residents or live here seasonally. So many discover that living here compared to vacationing has quite a difference.

#20 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:06 AM

My mouthpiece is Lic. Gisela Rodriguez gisela@cozumellawyer.com She is remarkably economical for an attorney. She came well recommended.

It does seem that the prices have been dropping ALOT in the house market.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users