• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Boognish

Boognish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:27 AM

Is it true that diving knives are banned in Coz? Just something I read somewhere.

#2 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:33 AM

I've always been told that technically, knives and gloves are not allowed within the marine park (which is where most of the dive sites are, south of the international cruiseship pier). Because of the currents (sometimes mild and sometimes no so mild) there is the temptation to grab onto something if you want to stay in one place and observe it more closely. This has a high chance of damaging the coral so if you don't have gloves (to hold onto things) or knives (to dig into something as an anchor) there is less chance of damage.

#3 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:15 AM

Knives and gloves are banned. An exception can be made with the gloves if a diver is hypothermic. DM's can carry knives, but there is no reason to have one, especially in the Marine Park.

Cozumel Diving

#4 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:21 PM

Oddly enough we frequently see snorkelers with gloves and some macho guys with a knife strapped to a leg. For snorkeling. What is proper protocol? We gave up yelling at all the folks we've seen stomping on the coral and instead seethe in silence as we're not the reef police, though my husband is considering that for his retirement job.

#5 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:19 PM

Oddly enough we frequently see snorkelers with gloves and some macho guys with a knife strapped to a leg. For snorkeling. What is proper protocol? We gave up yelling at all the folks we've seen stomping on the coral and instead seethe in silence as we're not the reef police, though my husband is considering that for his retirement job.

I actually saw a guy pull a knife on a Barracuda once. It was rather comical.

Cozumel Diving

#6 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:33 PM

I think we should all be armed with our own Barracuda, instead of gloves or knives.

#7 austinacoustic

austinacoustic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:25 PM

Barracuda's love bright, shimmering things!!

Danny in Austin

#8 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

Years ago we took my Mom snorkeling and she floated next to a huge barracuda. One of her favorite stories, though she insists they are dangerous and feels quite proud of herself for "fighting" it off.

As I tell her on a regular basis, barracudas only attack if they're caught and in the boat. I no longer wear my sequined opera length gloves for snorkeling. (Kidding, no I never have nor never will wear gloves).

#9 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:59 AM

When we stayed on the North end I would do a lot of snorkling by myself and liked the fact I had a dive knife on me. There were several places where fishing line was tangled. This of course is the only reason I can see for having one on me. I am also thinking about getting a pair of cutters instead, however I won't look as COOL without my giant dive knife B)

#10 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:31 AM

When I started Diving, a long time ago (1989, I think), it was considered essential to have gloves and a knife on every dive, and nearly all Cozumel divers had both for several years. The gloves did provide temptation to grab ahold of something - you weren't afraid you might be grabbing Fire Coral, or something equally painful. I never did have occasion to pull out my knife, except to bang on my tank to get someone's attention (the tank-bangers on elastic straps that go around the tank are much more convenient for that). It's been years now since I used either gloves or a knife in Cozumel, & I don't miss them. Although, since I'm just the tiniest bit claustraphobic in enclosed spaces, in my one trip through the wreck dive (I really don't like going into that thing - just a personal thing), I did wish I had a knife - not that it would have done me any good if I got really hung up, but I would have used it to bang on those walls like a mad man.

#11 cozdude

cozdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:rock & ice climbing, mountaineering, snowboarding, diving, mountain biking, mixed martial arts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:04 PM

I bring my dive knife every time I travel to Cozumel, but I have never taken it diving.

#12 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:45 AM

I have found that a Driving knife comes in handier since the jeeps I rent always seem to have a place in the top that needs a piece of string or rope to reattach it to the frame work.

Sam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users