33 replies to this topic

#1 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:53 PM

Wow. This place is spectacular. We had it all to ourselves for a couple hours, then the cruisers arrived. It is like a Corona commercial, beautiful beach and amenities, good and plentiful food, beer by the bucket, pool, decent snorkeling (very strong current today, but still good), and fantastic showers. We had eaten here a couple times before, but hadn't used the other facilities. We did not get charged a cover.

We will be back!

#2 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:42 AM

Sounds good Dawn... I keep meaning to get over there. If you eat at the restaurant then you can stay and hang at the beach, right? If so, will guacamole and a beer do it? I think it is reasonable for places to expect you to spend some $ to use their facilities (chairs and umbrellas) but I balk at $12 burgers or entrance fees + food buying.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#3 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:29 PM

We have tried to go twice and both times they insisted on a 100 peso per person entrance fee... We explained that we wanted to eat lunch, and have drinks, that we live here full time, etc, etc, and no go. Maybe I have bad luck? Needless to say, we didn't stay.

#4 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:47 PM

Our third time here, and we have never been charged a cover. Age and treachery over youth and beauty? Maybe we look poor. The guy just drops the rope, and in we go. Probably good to go when there aren't too many people there. Or drive really fast when he drops the rope.

We started out just ordering a couple beers, the waiter who we had to scrounge up ourselves talked us into a bucket (6th beer free.). They then basically ignored us. We sat in the restaurant after a few hours and ordered. Absolutely no pressure..

CC, I think if you just order drinks, even soda, you should be good to go. A couple we met recently just had a couple of Cokes.

We asked the waiter where is everybody? He said a late cruise ship. Two hours after having the place to ourselves, they showed up. Lots of them.

Hopefully our luck will hold out. Buccanos is a truly beautiful spot.

#5 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

I don't know what we did wrong. We even asked to go in and check it out, talked with a waiter and manager, and they wouldn't budge from the 100 pesos per person. They only had 2 tables the last time we tried. Looked nice, maybe I'll try again...

#6 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:44 PM

Erin, I am totally confused as to why they would do that. We were like a potted plant, totally ignored, which was fine. The waiters actually all scattered when we tried to ask about the snorkeling. Maybe just drive in and act like you know what you're doing? Don't ask questions and act like you own the place? Age and treachery...

#7 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

I was kind of confused too, so we just went to Playa Azul and spent our money and time there... I will give it another try, but it left kind of a bad taste...

#8 QueenAngel

QueenAngel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:31 PM

We were there 2 weeks ago, and we drove up to the chain, told the guard we wanted to go in for drinks and lunch, and were told there was the 100 peso per person charge, even though we clearly explained about the meal, and were told that we must pay, and you get nothing for the 100 pesos (I was thinking maybe they would give you a margarita or beer with that cover). Turned around and left. :(

#9 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:12 PM

Whew, glad I'm not the only one.

#10 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:28 PM

Try it next time speaking only Spanish. Say voy a pagar en el restaurant. I will pay at the restaurant. Boy ah pah-GAR en el rest-are-AHN-teh. See if that works. Just keep repeating it until he lets the rope down.

I will contact the owner and find out what the scoop is.

#11 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:35 PM

Oh the plot thickens... somebody is eventually going to contact that manager now that this little scam is getting out. Good call Carey. Playa Azul used to charge a cover but then gave you a credit back on your food/drink. Now there is no cover. As much as I'd like to check out Buccanos, I'd go to PA instead if I got the 100 peso spiel... (mordita!). Dawn, consider yourself lucky. Love the potted plant reference :-)

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:44 PM

I found the email from Ines and just wrote her to say that they should either make the cover charge issue clear and across the board if that was her intention. Or she might want to look to her gate keeper if this was not her intention.

I'm sure she'll handle it in some good way.

#13 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:12 AM

The 100 peso charge for entrance is per person. You then receive a voucher to apply this "entry" charge to your bill.

There is a "list" you can get on to avoid the "pay at the door fee", but you need to know someone to get on it.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#14 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:50 AM

I have gone there with friends a few times and because I am driving a Mexican plated car, I told the gate keeper we are all locals and no issue with the cover charge fee?
I think they are trying to catch "touristas" as they don;t know and will pay the fee..?
It does get credited back to your bill when you get a drink or food...if you get a receipt?
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#15 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:04 AM

I can understand the charge this club as well as some others are implementing.

Many PEOPLE (tourist and locals alike) will go to a beach club, use the tables, chairs, pools, showers, bathrooms, and bring there own food, and drinks, that's not right.

I have been asked to pre-pay, and have declined telling the gate keeper that I would be having breakfast, and I had no problem. I also ate breakfast.

I really don't think this is a scam.

I believe the club is simply covering the costs (per person) for use of the facilities if the guests do not eat or drink. I think that is more then fair.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#16 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:19 AM

I guess if they asked us to pay 100 pesos apiece, it would be well worth it. The place is gorgeous. We may have to go back just to see if they would charge us. In fact we had totally expected to be charged the last time. Pleasant surprise!

#17 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

I agree that it's a totally gorgeous facility. A class act and an easier drive from downtown than going to the southern beach clubs. I plan to take my parents several times next Christmas. Also agree that it is completely fair for them to find a way to be sure you spend $100 pesos/person. That is a very low price for enjoying a place like that while you eat and drink. I believe the main dining area there used to be someone's home. I went with a friend awhile back who said she'd been to a party there many years ago when it was a private home.

#18 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

Just heard back from Ines Barbachano Falkenberg, the manager of Buccanos. Here's what she wrote. Perhaps we can offer her some ideas. Read below:

"Thank you so much for your email, Carey

Originally when we opened as a day park the $100 peso charge which is credited towards the restaurant bill did not exist and we were filled with picnickers It really did resemble a public pool with people entering in with coolers and snacks and just not respecting our property.

We did decide on the 100 peso ( or $10 usd) entrance free that is credited towards the restaurant/bar
bill. Following this we then opened up a list at the security of our regular guests that are able to enter without any charge. The latest is not to charge clients coming for breakfast.

In reality we do charge the fee redeemable in the restaurant but have asked the security to use his discretion. Our security is on constant communication with our cashier and pr manger via radio who receive all messages of arriving clients with comments on if they paid, will pay with credit card, arrival via taxi, etc.

I am really at loss on what to do as I do not want to go back to the public pool/beach scenario.......maybe you could make a suggestion which I would greatly
appreciate.

p.s. we did have an issue with a previous security person who no longer is employed with us.

thanks
Ines"

I was going to write Ines back with some suggestions but then thought perhaps we could all put our heads together here and come up with some ideas to help her. I can definitely see her problem.

My first idea would be to half large, laminated cards made up in English and Spanish explaining the cover charge and why it exists, telling people what is included in the cover charge (how long they can stay for instance, use of the pool, use of the showers and shaded chaise lounges, etc.) and giving it to each car that rolls up to read and decide. If they decide to pay, they are given little slips of paper which get handed in at the entrance and that's itsky.

If you order a drink or two and an appetizer, you're going to go over the 100 pesos limit in any case. Compare to Chankannab, another place I love. With the Park card which you can get with an FM3 or better, you pay $80 to get in. This does NOT include food and drink.

Anyway, other suggestions that might help Ines make her club accessible without turning it into a proletarian picnic ground

#19 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:32 PM

Duplicate

#20 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:33 PM

First of all, what kind of a@@hole would come into a beautiful place like this with snacks and a cooler? Duh. We will present our AARP card. Get a Coke or something.

Secondly, the food and drinks are cheap. The facilities are fantastic. Chancanaab is like 20 bucks a person. You can swim with a filefish at Buccanos. Or a lemon ray. Current will take you many miles.

Third, before the cruisers get there, the place is yours. The waiters avoid you.

All the more reason to go back! We will try it again on Sunday, will report.

A dealbreaker would be paying a cover, then finding the place overrun with cruisers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users