• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:27 AM

My first reaction to keeping the "undesirables" out is, how does Punta Morena, Playa Palancar, Playa Corona, Money Bar, Playa Azul, etc. etc. keep people who aren't going to pay for anything and make a mess off of their property? I don't pay 100 pesos per person (or anything) at any of the above mentioned clubs, and I usually end up spending the day with my family and spending around 500 pesos. Also the day I went to Buccanos they said that the 100 pesos would NOT be credited towards the the bill (which reading above seems false).

I was also under the impression that all beaches in Mexico are federal property, and thus public, and if you wanted to use chairs or facilities, then you should pay. I think the entrance fee at Chankaanab is because it's a national park, no?

At any rate, I will give Buccanos another try, as it did look nice, and people have said that the food is good. I just didn't like the feeling of getting ripped off before I even had an overpriced beach club beer.

#22 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

All the beach clubs have, from time to time experimented with charging a cover that is applied to food. And continue to do so sporadically, in my experience. It's a continuing problem for them. I would guess the ones that have the biggest problem with moochers and free-loaders are those that offer a lot more than just the restaurant. Buccanos has a large, pretty swimming pool that people might actually like to use and all sorts of lounge chairs set out attractively under the trees and away from the restaurant. Without a cover charge I can easily see how families would come trooping in with their coolers and picnic blankets.

If I was the owner of such a beach concession, it would enrage me. It really would. Here I've gone to the work and expense of setting up this lovely, mellow beach environment with comfortable amenities, clean bathrooms and showers, comfortable places for lounges not to mention a big pool to maintain. And in come the freeloaders who seem to assume that I'm doing all this out of the goodness of my heart? Come on. It's a business.

So I totally understand and support this point of view. If you want do beach picnic, drive over to the wild side of the island and have at it. But you'll have to bring your own chairs, shade and food. And no bathrooms or showers. Unless you go to one of the beach clubs where, again, you'll be expected to consume something.

Places that only have tables and chairs like, say, Coconuts, don't have the same problem. There is nowhere to sit but a table or the bar so when you sit down, you know a waiter will be coming over soon. Not so clubs with wider expanses of beaches like Nachi Cocom and Palancar Beach Club which come to mind in particular.

Anyone have any helpful suggestions?

I believe I mentioned giving the guard a laminated sheet in English and Spanish explaining the deal which would then be given out to each car pulling up to the guard house. And perhaps little tickets to prove people have paid and keep the guard honest.

I would also suggest that anyone reading who plans to go back here more than once, as I do, to ask their waiter to please put them on the list.

#23 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:19 PM

I have NO PROBLEM WANT SO EVER WITH WHAT THESE CLUBS ARE DOING.

I would hope that they do recognize us paying "locals".

If you go to any beach bar, look north, look south and you will see the cheap seats hauling down their food and drinks.

Chen Rio is a perfect example (besides the horrible flies).

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#24 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

I think it is reasonable for places to expect you to spend some $ to use their facilities (chairs and umbrellas) but I balk at $12 burgers or entrance fees + food buying.

As I stated, I'm OK with a cover if I get the credit on my food and drink. That feels fair to both parties. Chances are I (we) will spend more + tip. Buccanos just needs to be clear about it at the gate, so a sign or a card would do it.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#25 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:03 PM

Something that is becoming more common at places in the states is to have a "cooler charge." In the case of Buccano's, they would charge $10 for any cooler that goes through the gate. Just a thought. It doesn't solve the issue of just coming to use the chairs or pool and not buying anything, though.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#26 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:53 PM

We returned to Buccanos today, and for the first time in two years, were charged a 100 peso pp. cover (around 8 bucks apiece.) I think they came up with a very fair compromise. They printed half-page coupons, one side English, the other Spanish, explaining that the coupons are good for 100 pp off food and drinks. There was an explanation about the facilities (parking, pool, amenities, etc.) on the coupons. They also stated that no outside food or drinks are allowed. Our waiter presented the bill, we presented the coupons, and he deducted 200 pesos, no problem. I would recommend tipping for the full amount including coupons.

I find charging 100 refundable pesos apiece to be very reasonable.

There were a couple dozen locals there today. Husband and I split a cheeseburger with fries that came with a small carrot and jicama salad. Portions were enough for 2, and the burger is cooked to order. Quite good. We also each had a couple mixed drinks and an agua. Overall, we spent the same as we usually do at Corona or Money Bar, around 500 pesos with tip.

Again, the facilities are well worth the price of admission! What a gorgeous day!

#27 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

Dawn's experience is exactly what we encountered on June 19th....Sunday...no cruisers. This place and food are wonderful. You must go. I don't see what the beef is all about.

#28 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:45 AM

Pecosgirl - if you read both pages of this thread you will see the beef was about Buccanos not being clear or consistent with their cover charge. It seems to me they have resolved it - very quickly - with the coupon... and it most likely happened because of this thread and Carey contacting the manager about the issue. Bravo CmyC!

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#29 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:51 PM

Well, excuse ME ccannon...but it was not due to Carey's inquiry. I read ALL of the posts on page 1 and page 2. If you had paid attention to my post...we were there on June 19th. Carey sent her inquiry on July 7th and it was answered on July 8th. So?

#30 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

It seems obvious to me that Ines was in the process of figuring out how to handle the free loader problem and her new solution was only being implemented sporadically. Now apparently she has the information sheet and the tickets printed up and that should take care of the problem.

You can have ALL the credit, Pecos Girl. Hit don't make no never mind to me. Just glad that the group of us here could be of some assistance in ironing out the problems.

#31 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:44 PM

Ladies, it seems to me that someone took quick notice and responded accordingly. Congrats all around! This new solution makes so much sense with the coupons.

Carey, I think your ideas are printed on the coupons. They almost took your suggestions word for word. Thanks!

We will be repeat visitors.

#32 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

It is no big deal at all. I'm glad they have implemented the new coupons which we rec'd. on June 19th. I did not ask for any credit in regards to this or anything else. I just pointed out that it was being done before Carey's email to Buccano's on July 7th. What's wrong with everybody on here?

#33 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:31 PM

Si, PG, you had good points too. What needed to be on the info.

To all, Go and enjoy!

#34 diverdicozumel

diverdicozumel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Travel, Culture, Rotary, Real Estate,Food,
    Great People

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:52 PM

I love this place, so relaxing. Breakfast is sooo good and a great deal for coffee, juice, a fruit plate and your choice of main dish off the menu for about 9 dollars. I go there a couple times a week when on the island, and have never had a problem with the entry fee. So happy to see this is resolved, it is totally fair to expect people to spend 100 pesos on food or drinks. If I stay and use the beach chairs I always buy drinks...I am happy to have a beautiful place with that lovely beach to enjoy. IMHO the water is the most beautiful here on the island.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users