• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

I only have one price point for comparison and that's with Gator Aid.

Sam's sells gator aid in a number of different sizes, here is the comparison for what we buy.

500ML (half a liter) of Gator Aid at Sam's 9.2p's a bottle
500ML (half a liter) of Gator Aid at Mega 12.20p's a bottle

Sam's only sells Gator Aid in cases of 24

More to come, if anybody is interested.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:12 PM

That is interesting. Will Sam's get the display cart in the front with the comparison cost on it? I get a kick out of that at Mega....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:20 PM

wish they had powerade in powder or lite formula. gatorade is SO bad for you. 26g of carbs, and all 26 are simple sugars. very hard for your body to digest and makes you thirsty instead of actually hydrating you. sorry, just my $.02.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:59 AM

that was well worth the 2cents Nauticab. I will check out the brand you mentioned.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:55 PM

that was well worth the 2cents Nauticab. I will check out the brand you mentioned.

if you need a good electrolyte, we sell them in the store too. some with calories (for sporting events) and one with only 10 calories. both are excellent in getting your system back to normal. believe me, i used them in ironman. :)
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#6 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:03 AM

Per Gator-Aid: Every single NFL, MLB, NBA &NHL team & all college teams have hundreds of gallons of it on the sideline for every single game played. You can go on line and find bad reports on anything. So, I ain't arguing.......just saying.

Cozumel Diving

#7 Jean Mc

Jean Mc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:10 AM

Per Gator-Aid: Every single NFL, MLB, NBA &NHL team & all college teams have hundreds of gallons of it on the sideline for every single game played. You can go on line and find bad reports on anything. So, I ain't arguing.......just saying.

I see that as a very strong marketing strategy by Gatorade!

#8 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:42 AM

I see that as a very strong marketing strategy by Gatorade!

Sorry to disagree, but teams that are worth upwards to a billion dollars would only use the highest quality products available and if every single one of these teams use this product I really think that says something about the product. Those guys have the very best of everything. I mean they put on a new pair of $300 Zoom shoes every time they walk out on the field and just the uniforms and helmets cost over $1k each. Sports are one of, if not THE most competitive businesses in the world.

Cozumel Diving

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:50 AM

Maybe Gatorade just stains less than others when you dump it on the coach?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#10 budaman

budaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:03 AM

Maybe Gatorade just stains less than others when you dump it on the coach?

It all comes down to marketing....it's which company pays the most to have their logo displayed on TV. It's the same with equipment. We do a lot of work with the University of Texas athletic department. They used to be associated with Reebok....Nike offered a a better package...now they are associated with Nike. Once you get to a certain level, quality of product is comparable & then the money talks.
If another brand made the NFL a better financial package, you wouldn't be seeing Gatoraide on the sidelines.

Mike

#11 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:57 AM

Gatorade makes several different types of "juice". Not all have the same amount of sugars. G-2 has a lot less sugars in it.

I used to use it while mountain biking, but found I was cramping up in the heat. I switched to a electrolyte tablet called Nuun and haven't cramped since. The larger bike shops that cater to racers have all kinds of electrolyte replacements,

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:54 PM

Best electrolyte drink I've encountered is pedialyte which is available in every pharmacy. I don't know how the price compares to a sports drink since it's around 30 pesos/litro. But you also have to look at the ingredients when making that comparison. I know this stuff works fabulously for making a fast come back from dehydration.

#13 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:11 AM

I am sure that there is the marketing concept involved, although I disagree that it is only marketing due to it being the number one sports drink ever. However my point was....all those teams that I pointed out which use Gator Aide, which is in the hundreds....if the drink was not working and especially if it was problematic do you really think those teams would use it. If Reebok made an inferior product than Nike would a team use them anyway, just because of marketing? I find that dubious. Anyway I have no involvement in the drink :), I just don't believe it would be used to the extent it is if it did not work or was bad in anyway for the players. I put in 600+ miles of running a year, every year since HS and it always worked for me.

Pedialyte is for rehydration, but it was designed to hydrate sick kids and is not a sports drink. I will say that once my wife got very dehydrated from a bad case of the flu and Pedialyte really helped her. Since then we usually have a couple of bottles always on hand.

Cozumel Diving

#14 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:05 AM

You got me thinking Mike....so I googled and came across this comparison:

http://www.athletein...iew.aspx?id=358

Very interesting analysis of the various types of drinks.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#15 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:40 PM

i am not a big fan of either gatorade or powerade. but the fact that the simple sugar content of gatorade can cause more gastric distress, and the fact that a fellow cyclist, who is also a physician AND an astronaut claims that our bodies can NOT digest gatorade effectively, and that gatorade just makes me more thirsty forced me to make a major change.
a friend of mine trained for ironman on the electrolytes sold in the pharmacies. others trained on GU brew like myself. i have also used accelerade which has some protein for faster recovery and liked it. when i used gatorade, i lacked in performance compared to GU and just don't like the stuff. some people do. to each his own.
one thing is for sure, the top triathletes in the world and top cyclists are not using gatorade. they use a miriad of other brands. Yvonne Van Vlerken, cozumel IM champ, uses gu. i want to be like her. so i use it too! (a joke....i was using it before she got the sponsorship).

gatorade may not be AWFUL, but it is the most popular and they have the most advertizing budget, so yeah, they get the NFL teams and such. i am sure the guys use something else on the sidelines.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:24 AM

Gatorade or the Powerade will work just fine. My husband runs about 5K a couple of times a week, and works around here a lot so either one of these drinks work fine.

He is not running marathons.

Anonymous

#17 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:35 AM

AND an astronaut

Really? I thought they drank Tang?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#18 kansas diver

kansas diver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Diving, skiing, travel

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:29 AM

Not a bad little royality......The University of Florida also claimed partial rights ownership, which was brought to resolution in 1973 in the form of a settlement awarding the university with a 20 percent share of Gatorade royalties, totaling $100 million as of 2004.[10]

#19 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

just on a personal note, i won't use gatorade on a 5k run either. just too much sugar that wreaks havok on your system. one of the best recovery drinks is a glass of chocolate milk. yes really! with marathons you need much more and most stomachs can't handle it. gatorade with gels often result in puking. sorry.
electrolyte tablets (gu, hammer etc) run $100 pesos for 12 tablets. plop the tablet in a water bottle of cold water and you are set for an hour of exercise or more with only 10 calories. it doesn't replenish the calories burned, but does a fantastic job with the electrolytes. comes to 8.33 pesos a glass. and it doesn't waste plastic bottles.

tang, haha. :) forgot about that!
wow $100million. bet UF likes that professor a lot!
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#20 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:17 PM

26g of carbs, and all 26 are simple sugars. very hard for your body to digest

That's not how physiology works. Simple sugars are, by far, the very easiest thing of all to digest. So easy, in fact, that if you don't have enough of them your body will scavenge proteins to make simple sugars. You'll die in fairly short order if you don't have any. Glucose is the only substrate that can metabolized by your brain, which accounts for a sizable part of your total calorie requirement. It's almost the only thing that your heart muscle can metabolize.

I'm not saying there's much need for athletes to guzzle sugar water. There isn't, any more than they have a significant need to replace electrolytes or anything else besides water during an event. If a "sports drink" really is needed, the most likely legitimate reason would be low serum glucose due to depletion of glycogen stores. For this, glucose, among the most simple of sugars, is exactly what's needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users