24 replies to this topic

#1 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

Is it just me, or has anyone else had the same experience? When we returned home tonight from a blissful 12 days, all our checked luggage looked like it had just been attacked by a roving band of chimpanzees with box cutters, Brillo Pads and a belt sander, then run over a few times with an SUV. Not the first time this has happened.

I am considering joining Suitcase of the Month Club. Thank goodness the rum survived.

What the heck do the airlines do? Anyone have luck with the hard sided luggage? Duct tape has been my friend, but when it comprises 50% of the suitcase...

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

Dawn, I did some recon for you at the Cozumel airport with my hidden video camera.

Would you please review the following URL, and see if you recognize any of the suspects in the video.

Some baggage handlers are just animals!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:07 PM

Aha! I knew it!

#4 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:34 PM

My sympathies - but the rum did survive :lol: A few years ago we brought a bottle of Kahlua home, wrapped up in a towel. The bottle made it all the way home and then cracked open as soon as we got in the house and put down the bags... staining clothes and worse, the rug forever. It turns out they inspected our luggage and didn't wrap the bottle back up, but they did leave us a note... :blink: To top it all off we found out you can buy Kahlua here in California for the same price or cheaper. Doh!

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:33 PM

I'm not really, really sure but I thought our Kahlua here was in a bigger bottle, and a bit cheaper.

Hey, we where almost neighbors, you in Sonoma County and us in the cheap seats in Los Gatos...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 Jimmmy

Jimmmy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:diving, dogs, boating, wine, cooking

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:57 PM

I have had it happen also. We travel through Dallas or Houston and I think it happens there. One time we were watching our plane get loaded in Houston for the return flight to St. Louis and I saw one of the bagage handlers actually lift the bags above her chest and toss them to the conveyer belt. It would have been much easier to just move them from the cart which was higher than the conveyor in one easy motion. I guess she didn't have time to go to the gym and was getting her workout at the airport. iu did get rally cheap replacement bags out of it. Small price to pay for a trip to Cosumel.

#7 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:10 PM

Jimmmy, did the airline replace your bags? We fly out of Dallas as well. Our current bags have only flown twice, but look like veterans. Viva la duct tape.

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

No Dawn they didn't replace his bag, but he now has an ape he is responsible for.

Sorry for the interruption, back to your regular programed posters.

Anonymous

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

I only had one bad experience where someone entered the bag broke the plastic travel case for my electric razor and rummaged through the bag. I didn't notice anything missing and there was no note. I did get 2*$25 from airtran for my troubles.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#10 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:43 PM

We get notes regularly. If I wrap a bottle of something in a towel or t-shirt I always put it in a large ziploc. American Airlines searched our daughter's bag and let a brand new combat boot fall out of it and the bag arrived with one boot. They didn't care and didn't help. They said she filed the complaint too late. The kicker is that the bag arrived a day late so the report time window had elapsed. $150. down the tubes. Just another sometimes expensive annoyance that we must endure to go on vacation. I hate it.

#11 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:32 PM

We haven't gotten a note lately, and so far our booze has survived wrapped well in dirty t-shirts, plastic bags, and the plastic zipper thingy that comes with the suitcase. Not so worried about the inside, though I would be really upset about losing something. My concern is how can they scuff, scrape, abrade, and cut up the outside of an almost new suitcase? Sounds like it's a Dallas thing? This last time, the plastic plate surrounding the pull-up handle was totally smashed. :mad:

#12 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:23 PM

Is that like a new insult: Your daughter wears combat boots! :o

Seriously though, I am really getting into the having a place thing. With the exception of losing my computer or camera, there isn't anything I REALLY need. Everything else is wedged in the little closet.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#13 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

True story: Friends and neighbours were bringing down a surround sound system and wrapped some of the components out of the boxes in the new and pre sized pool thermal cover....TSA wanted to see what was inside and used a knife and cut through this pre sized pool thermal cover (of course they thought it was bubble wrap)...I think after two years it is still an ongoing issue with TSA? which started from Atlanta to Cozumel on Delta..? they had to replace the pool cover for now on their cost...some $$ but again just a warning where ever you travel in this world...think before you pack!!
We have learnt that nothing is sacred...pack camera, glasses, chargers, notebooks etc and medications needed in your carry on...we just returned from a long trip (several flights to Fiji for diving) My husband has to have refrigerated meds and we have a special pack with freezer packs to keep them cool...no issue on those at all...but his strobes from his underwater camera in his back pack were a huge issue thru security!! They couldn;t figure out what they were at first until they removed them...still had to do the wipey thing, just in case!!
I am happy for the added security but really at times it just gets annoying!! We travel now with soft sided duffle bag cases..they seem more flexible than the $250 HEYS hard cover ones we used before that we have had repaired several times!
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#14 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:56 AM

Sailsgal... Funny you posted that. I was just looking at a set of Heys luggage and came here to post a question about it. Could you share your experience? If I'm going to spend that kind of money on luggage, I don't want it to get the you-know-what beaten out of it just like my cloth/canvas duffles. I love my rolling duffles, but they're getting torn up pretty fast thanks to those handlers.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#15 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:47 AM

We bought the american tourister stuff at an outlet with a 10 year warranty. They weren't too expensive. Need to take on back for a replacement as a zipper went out. The cheap luggage we bought had all the handles ripped off being tossed on and off the ferry. Of course it was REALLY cheap....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#16 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:04 AM

Kandy
We bought a large and a medium one 5 years ago...they are quite light and roll on all four wheels so you don;t have to lug on the side...They only problem that we have had is that when you open the expander zipper (I tend to pack more than I should)...it gave way and burst fortunately at home...we took it back to the store where we bought it and they sent them away and repaired them...no charge!
They do have a long warranty and I have kept the bills for records.
Great suitcases but they can get banged up when being handled and also on the long conveyor belt systems in the larger airports. Hope this helps!
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#17 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:31 AM

We buy all our luggage at thrift stores in the states...$5 or $10 for a big roller bag. Use it for one round trip and throw it away. Let the TSA goons and Burly Baggage Handlers do their worst...we don't care! :lol:

#18 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

We just get the inexpensive docker bags at DFW. They hold up as well as the expensive ones and since we fly out of DFW we only expect them to last 2 or 3 years so why get spendie......

#19 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

I wonder what luggage a baggage handler would recommend?

I buy junk luggage. It has held up for almost 5 years...go figure. Guess it's one of those "don't touch the junk" things

One other thing, ccannon mentioned on another post about ear drops...I flush my ears with Hydrogen Peroxide because I get ear infections even from taking a shower, so snorkeling really can bother me...I no longer have ear problems.

Ear syringe, and HP does the trick.

BTW,should I put the MW abatar back? Do you still know who I am?

Anonymous

#20 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

Dawn, did you fly RyanAir?

:lol:

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users