Photo

Suenos Azules or Casa Opal anyone know about these properties?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:05 AM

We're looking at long term rental options started spring of next year and these are two of our options. Does anyone have any info on either of these properties that we might want to consider? One is a single story which is good because my knees are grumbling at the stairs and it's near Ave 30 and 5 and the other is on either Ave 5 or 10 and 23, is 3 stories (I'll have angry knees but it has a rooftop palapa), and borders the jungle.

#2 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:57 AM

OK bordering the jungle starting in spring for a long terms rental?? Hmmm.... mosquitos could be a huge factor when it rains and after comes the humidity as well as when the sun goes down! I know this house, very nice and the roof terrace does offer cool breezes at times...I don;t know the other house but maybe having no stairs with bad knees would be better? Some questions to consider:
Do the bedrooms have zoned a/c? or do these houses have central air? this can run to be very expensive when you are cooling rooms that you are not in all the time as electricity is very expensive here on the island.
Can you walk to grocery stores and shopping? do you need to rent a car (please no scooters).or just use taxis when needed?
How long is the rental time frame for? one/two or more months.
Does it include water? maid service? pool service if there is one?
Get all the costs ahead of time so you won;t be surprised when the property manager presents you with extra fees! Good luck and enjoy Cozumel.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#3 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:23 AM

Thanks sailsgal, I guess I didn't give nearly enough information. We are currently here on the island for 6 weeks and are working with Pawel looking at places. We are looking to move down here permanently next year. We have made mini splits non-negotiable based on talking with locals while we've been here. We bought bicycles and use them to go shopping, snorkeling, etc. but will bring our car down from the states when we have a permanent place. I'm assuming no services will be included and we will pay all costs where we live and are budgeting to do so. And as far as enjoying the island, we are enjoying the HELL out of this place and are planning on becomming locals! :)

#4 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

Pawel is good to deal with and does put in some effort to find his clients the right property. I looked at Casa Opal a few months ago. There were some things I liked - nice pool area, decent location.
In my case, more that I didn't like - the owner lives in a private area at the front of the property. Some may not have a problem with that, and I guess it could come in handy if something goes wrong, but I prefer privacy. Opal is reasonably spacious, but what didn't work for me - the bedroom and bathroom is separate from the main living area - meaning that if you are sitting and watching television and you have to use the facilities - or if you have guests over, you need to go outside then through another door to access the bathroom which is with the bedroom. Not the best for some. While there is a lot of natural light, it is run down - badly needs painting and new furniture. Possibly it has been improved since I viewed it in April. I guess it all depends where you are willing to compromise and what is important for you.

Valli

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:28 PM

Not sure which address goes with which name and I would definitely take Valli's observations to heart as she has been long term renting here for years in town.

I wouldn't do the 23 with the palapa on the roof and jungle view. The one on 5 near 30 is a good location but if it's between 20 and 25 you're going to have a loud bar scene from Las Brisas all afternoon. (Not in the evening fortunately, as they have to close down then but the music can get loud and unlike most places in the city the cars park on both sides of the street. Popular cantina right now for some reason which I can only figure may involve the display of female body parts.

Neighborhood is safe however in spite of that. It's just a question of if the loud music and lot of parked cars every afternoon until around 6 PM will bother you.

I live 3 blocks away so I go up this way at least 5 times per week.

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

Las Brisas. Check.... :rolleyes:

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#7 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:37 AM

Thanks to all who responded. I found the feedback very helpful and it saved me some time and energy in my hunt. Carey, you said you wouldn't recommend the 3 story that is adjacent to the jungle. Are there problems living so close to the jungle?

#8 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:40 AM

I would do the one on 10 and 23. It is very quiet there and you have cool views of the tops of cruise ships and the Calletita lighthouse. Not to far from the Ched either.

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

Thanks to all who responded. I found the feedback very helpful and it saved me some time and energy in my hunt. Carey, you said you wouldn't recommend the 3 story that is adjacent to the jungle. Are there problems living so close to the jungle?

My objections to the place on 23 is that it's a pretty long way from everything too hot to walk so you'll have to bike or taxi everywhere. Is there going to be a place to lock up your bikes or will you have to carry them up three stories? Taxis will have to be called to that location. It will be difficult to flag one.

You should also ask which direction it faces. Many homes here particularly newer ones built by gringos face majorly south. Why I cannot comprehend because all you see that way even from a high story is an expanse of thorn forest and the tops of the floating hotels and maybe a little crescent of water.

But view wise, to each her own. The big objection to facing south is the sun exposure for large portions of the day. You will fry in a south facing apartment unless the owner has implemented serious window protections like black out curtains or shutters. If that view terrace faces south you probably won't use it much during the day for the same reason. It would be nice for sunset and beyond or early in the morning.

#10 Eileen

Eileen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

We have stayed at Casa Delfin which is the home attached to Suenos Azules. These homes are relatively new, having been built in the last four or five years, all by the same builder. The area is very quiet and an easy two-block walk to Ched. The homes have mini splits and the palapa on top of Suenos Azules is very nice. The pool is quite small, but good for cooling off and there's a small area with lounge chairs beside the pool. The finishes in the houses are quite nice.

#11 Eileen

Eileen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:05 AM

The house sits right on the s/w corner of 23 and 10 so it catches breezes from whichever direction it's currently blowing. There is a driveway to the house with a locked gate, so good place to lock up the bikes as well.

#12 Eileen

Eileen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:10 AM

Wait ... I stand corrected. I had another look and it's the one next to the corner. Still a locked up area for the bike, but they didn't bother putting a parking pad in.

#13 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:13 AM

Wow, thanks Carey. It's a 4 house complex and it's a single unit that is 3 stories so virtually everything that comes in will stay on floor 1. I took serious heed to your south facing warning when I first started posting here. This particular house's front faces east and there is another unit on the south side so I would think that would offer some protection from the daily bake. The palapa covers pretty much the whole top of the house (actually it is the third story, it's all outside and there are no rooms up there nor is it enclosed in any way). The 3rd story (roof has a lot of room and even a part of it that's not covered by the palapa where we could put a bbq if we decided to do so. When Pawel took us there it was very nice and breezy and that was in the heat of the day yesterday. We are bringing our car when we come to stay so taxis won't be needed unless it's an extrodinary circumstance. We pretty much bike everywhere now, (to the store, to snorkeling places, etc.) and are waiting for the baskets to come in at the bike shop since the racks we had installed won't really hold groceries too well. You're right, we really couldn't see the water but we'd be able to see the tops of cruise ships as they come and go. Due to the time of day I really couldn't tell if there was any water view but I think the tops of the trees block the water view.

I was seriously afraid you were going to say that an army of palmettos (is that what those giant cockroach looking bugs are?) were going to line up and invade. They are kind of freaking me out right now. One tried to crawl up my ankle while I was fixing dinner the other night. Ah, the price of living in paradise.

#14 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

Eileen, LOL, we were told we could park on the grass in the yard. I think the street would be better for us since there's not a lot of traffic down that way. I think you're thinking of Cha Na Kay (our would be neighbor) but you're right, the bikes could be safely locked up inside the yard. Another question, I have a convertible car and a car cover that protects the top, I'm assuming that the cover would speed up mold, rust, etc. even though it's built for that kind of thing it's probably not for this degree of humidity. Anyone have experience with car covers?

#15 lovethetruth

lovethetruth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

Pawel is good to deal with and does put in some effort to find his clients the right property. I looked at Casa Opal a few months ago. There were some things I liked - nice pool area, decent location.
In my case, more that I didn't like - the owner lives in a private area at the front of the property. Some may not have a problem with that, and I guess it could come in handy if something goes wrong, but I prefer privacy. Opal is reasonably spacious, but what didn't work for me - the bedroom and bathroom is separate from the main living area - meaning that if you are sitting and watching television and you have to use the facilities - or if you have guests over, you need to go outside then through another door to access the bathroom which is with the bedroom. Not the best for some. While there is a lot of natural light, it is run down - badly needs painting and new furniture. Possibly it has been improved since I viewed it in April. I guess it all depends where you are willing to compromise and what is important for you.

Dear Valli
It is obvious that you are confused with regards with casa opal as the rooms are on suit, pretty large and with lovely furniture, we were actually staying at casa opal in April we wanted to relax so we never left the house and enjoyed it very much, private, with a lovely pool. Which house are you refering to

#16 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

Dear Valli
It is obvious that you are confused with regards with casa opal as the rooms are on suit, pretty large and with lovely furniture, we were actually staying at casa opal in April we wanted to relax so we never left the house and enjoyed it very much, private, with a lovely pool. Which house are you refering to

No,I am not confused, I went back and verified the web site, and indeed, I am talking about the same place. Personally, it was not for me, but I agree the pool area was quite nice. I felt it needed some sprucing up and was a bit sparse for my taste, but it is reasonably priced and I am glad that this property worked for you.

Valli

#17 lovethetruth

lovethetruth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

No,I am not confused, I went back and verified the web site, and indeed, I am talking about the same place. Personally, it was not for me, but I agree the pool area was quite nice. I felt it needed some sprucing up and was a bit sparse for my taste, but it is reasonably priced and I am glad that this property worked for you.

Hello again
Gosh it almost sounds like if you had a personal vendetta! With all due respect I really think you are mistaken.
I know for a fact that the owner is very very selective with whom she lets stay at the property, and does not use agents. The few people that have had the pleasure to stay at the house have given very good reviews, the TVís are in the bedrooms! I am puzzled about your comments, quite honestly it sounds more like you did not match the profile, no offence, but I know they have age limits amongst other things. And as I mentioned before we were there March through April. Which page are you referring to?

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply

#18 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:55 PM

Hello again
Gosh it almost sounds like if you had a personal vendetta! With all due respect I really think you are mistaken.
I know for a fact that the owner is very very selective with whom she lets stay at the property, and does not use agents. The few people that have had the pleasure to stay at the house have given very good reviews, the TV’s are in the bedrooms! I am puzzled about your comments, quite honestly it sounds more like you did not match the profile, no offence, but I know they have age limits amongst other things. And as I mentioned before we were there March through April. Which page are you referring to?

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply

I can assure you that Valli doesn't have a vendetta. She's been renting vacation houses in town for at least the last 10 years and often multiple times per year. In fact, I think I would have to call her our resident expert on intown vacation house rentals. If she hasn't stayed there, she has probably seen it.

Just out of curiosity, are you the owner or a close friend of the owner of the property being discussed?

#19 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

Was wondering that exact same thing Carey. Just for the record we fell in love with Pawel and rented the Suenos Azules property for one year beginning in February of next year. We're so excited we can hardly stand it.

#20 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:50 PM

She's been renting vacation houses in town for at least the last 10 years and often multiple times per year. In fact, I think I would have to call her our resident expert on intown house rentals. If she hasn't stayed there, she has probably seen it. Just out of curiosity, are you the owner or a close friend of the owner of the property being discussed?

I am a bit puzzled by the resurrection of a post, discussion from over four months ago. Valli, "our resident expert on intown rentals", I think hands down Valli has the experience and the breadth of knowledge that makes her THE island expert from the consumer perspective. I think her experience goes back closer to 18 years. She is the only person that has or could offer me assistance of looking for places. I know most places from the street over the years, she's the only one I know with eyes and feet that have been on the inside with a majority on the intown rentals with a broad range of sizes and all price ranges. She has very selective personal wishes in a rental, but she has been of assistance to numerous people in directing people toward places the suit their needs and budgets. Her primary requirements are privacy and pool with location and convenience obviously important. Personally, I don't want a pool. The water will be too cold for me to swim and personally, I place more emphasis on security and privacy than even she does. I don't want someone cleaning my place, I don't want a pool person or a host of others people of assistance. I have seen perhaps seven or eight of her selections, I considered a couple for myself for a long term rental even though they included a pool.

For someone who LOVESTHETRUTH: "I know for a fact that the owner is very very selective with whom she lets stay at the property, and does not use agents".

This discussion started with regard to her being shown the property by an agent back in April.

From another website with a positive review: "We would be back this year but someone else rented it during our time. Maybe next year". The owner's reply and thank you for the comments: "I will save your space for next year! A bad decision using a bad agency disrupt the norm."

I see that enjoycozumel lists Casa Opal as Property Inactive

I have never seen enjoycozumel called a bad agency, they have had some complaints as has most everyone, most of their reviews have been very positive. Now from my personal experience, they seem to provide most of the services that many need and desire, just lacked the ability to deal properly with someone with decades of knowledge, someone who is way ahead of the learning curve which is a steep grade to climb.

I thought no response was required, indeed this thread has gone screwball. But for the someone who LOVESTHETRUTH to question one of the few participants here that I consider impeccable in character, wisdom and general knowledge, with the willingness to assist and share makes me wonder just what the agenda may be. Maybe they are obviously confused for a reason or need a better acquaintance with the facts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users