Taxi ride crowding

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 drjoe

drjoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:natural wellness/health ,the sea ,food , meeting interesting people

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:10 AM

On my most recent (May 2011 )trip I came across a new situation & I am not sure what to make of it. When getting a taxi from the north hotel road to a dive boat at the Caleta I got quoted a fare & accepted the ride, but along the way the driver continues to pick up more fares & charges these people full fare too! I am not opposed to some sharing, but on 2 occasions the cab got really crowded and it took quite a bit longer to get to my destination . Is this becoming the new acceptable practice or are these drivers pushing their luck. I don't want to be inappropriately irritated if this is the norm , but I'm not sure what action, if any to take . This occured on 2 different rides.

#2 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:34 AM

I've taken plenty of taxi's and never had that happen.

Dono
It's those changes in latitudes!

#3 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:08 AM

If you have the number of the taxi you can report this to the office on 2nd between 5 and 10...
They have a union and many rules to follow...We got a cab from the ferry the other day and while we were waiting, one cab took three different people in one taxi as they were all going to a similar place?
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#4 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

Happens to me a lot, but they are picking up locals, not tourists.
Taking a cab from Playa to the Cancun airport we had to make a stop and pick up (I guess) the cab drivers family. Guess they had to do some shopping in the big city and our fare was making it happen.

#5 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

I've had that happen to me but the driver handled it this way: he picked me up, then stopped for a local. He asked me if I would mind if he took this person too. I said Ok but then I get a discount? We had agreed on the the normal fare when he picked me up. He said yes and discounted my fare by 20 pesos. Everybody was happy. I almost always get along with taxi drivers because I chat with them and practice my Spanish. ...."hay un descuento para mí?"

In your situation I would be clear on the time I needed to arrive at the Caleta and sit in front so I don't get crowded. Asking for a discount never hurts...

A few years ago I was staying in the north and had to go to the hospital at 1am (ear inflammation). I went outside the condo hoping to flag a cab down... up there and at that time of night there isn't a lot of traffic period. Thank goodness one with a passenger stopped. The passenger was a nice, local lady who worked at one of the big hotels. She had no problem sharing with me, but he went to her destination first. That was fine with me... I was just grateful for the ride.

PS: Eardrops before and after every dive solved the ear problem.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#6 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:40 PM

if you don't like the idea, tell the cab driver that you are paying for the private service of a cab and not for a colectivo. the discount idea could work for some. i too have been the recipient of a taxi with a passenger who stopped to pick me up in a semi urgent situation, so i can understand both situations.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users