• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:19 PM

We talked about this a couple of weeks ago on CMC, but in case you missed it(the video came out in about June (my edit) below find the new Marnia video which is being built.

The much of the infrastructure is in place, the issue had been getting clearance from one of premier hotels at the entrance to the harbor...that is done.

Now it is a question of how much is to be built, and what is the time frame.

You will find some who will torpedo this (and most everything else)in regards to Cozumel. Every opportunity they can get an audience for they seem to take glory in running down projects here.

Ask yourself when you read their negative responses, what is the issue? Why are they opposed? and Why would they not benefit from this type of venture.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:01 PM

1. the destruction caused to paradise reef. enough said, but i will go on.
2. have heard that dive and fishing providers can not have their guests come to the boat (like in la caleta) due to it being private.
3. costs.
4. did i mention the destruction of paradise reef.
5. heard that all the locales are already sold, without any opportunity to the public in general to obtain their businesses there. political i am sure. nothing was announced about places for rent.
6. the rich will benefit. nothing for the little guy trying to get ahead.
7. the bitching by all the caleta renters of the new regulations. real headache for most all.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:02 AM

I am not clear, will Caleta harbor be gone as we know it?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:24 AM

I am not clear, will Caleta harbor be gone as we know it?

Caleta Harbor will be there, but just not for boats anymore. In the video you can see that El Pres is planning on building more hotel around what once used to be Caleta. All boats will now be docked in the new neat little rows to the north.

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:39 PM

So where the hell are the fishing charter capis and dive boat capis going to keep their crafts? There aren't that many slots available at the northern marina, Puerto Abrigo. And for dive ops in particular this is a suckaroo choice for a berth because it adds a LOT of travel time getting the boat from up north to the southern reefs.

I understood that the old caleta was going to be allowed to maintain as it was. If these boat owners are required to purchase slots in the new marina, they're going to have to pass some of that expense on to clients meaning a rise in prices for diving and fishing charters. It would be deadly for many particularly in the current economic climate with tourism do so much.

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:54 PM

I think a little drama spin was put on the post.

For example "destruction caused to paradise reef" It is a major asset, what evidence of "destruction" has been done? Hurricanes do much more damage.

Caleta is a carp hole, just like the other harbor. Not only are there boats sunk, but the surrounds, and upkeep are horrible...SHAMEFUL, and you want more of the same?

Lastly from your comments "the rich will benefit. nothing for the little guy trying to get ahead"

Tell me what POOR is going to do for you?

Who will rent the dive boats? The fishing boats? Shop at any store?

It is those with assets who can nourish others.

Anonymous

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:09 PM

I agree that La Caleta looks very shabby but it was my understanding that the long term capis that have always used these berths would be allowed to stay on and at the same prices -- grandfathered as it were. That is my concern more than any other. I'm really worried about these businesses many of which are already living on the edge despite offering a very good product and service. Take care of these folks and they'll have my applause for the project.

#8 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:15 PM

So the everyday Mom and Pop operations who are trying to survive should just give up because the are not of the "well to do"...and damage to the reef...come on now...the amount of change and construction sure as hell has not HELPED the reef...of course it has caused damage. I se nothing in Dailenes post that is over board...just pure truth from someone who works with these people on a daily basis. I think she would be a bit mor knowledgeable.

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:40 PM

Carey, I agree, there should be a grandfather clause. I hope it is based on years of service, as well as good maintenance of their craft.

I really think that facts are relevant. This is a huge project, and it is going to disrupt a number of established business in the existing marina.

Why don't we find out from the project management what the plans, and proposals are before opinions are given as to what negative impact already, and into the future may have.

Anonymous

#10 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:04 PM

good luck finding out anything from the people in charge. i have been trying to find out how i could possibly open a store there for 2 years now, only to find out that there is no way to find out who to talk to. then, we find out that all store fronts are taken by the well to do. that is what i refer to. and shame on anyone thinking that mom and pop shops should step aside. if that were the case, some of our favorite shops would never get off the ground. I would never have survived if i took that attitude. and my customers, for the most part, are the mates and captains making their lousy 100 pesos a day plus tip, if any....not the owners. you say you often shop at the little store near your home. those folks are NOT rich. but have they helped you? hell yes. sorry, but that comment "Tell me what POOR is going to do for you?" is sick and not appropriate for our community...for any community.

la caleta is a natural marina (unlike puerto de abrigo which was dynamited out). yes there were trashed and sunken boats, most of which have been removed and cleaned up. from what i understand, there will be a level of grandfathered slots. i agree the caleta looks like a dump. i agree that the new marina is nice. however, the location of it, removing mangroves and their inhabitants, and the construction of this luxury marina WILL cause more damage to paradise reef. you can not compare what nature does to what man does. there are other locations that would have been better and would not directly affect a shoreline reef.

the hopes is to attract the american yachts again. would be great... they bring lots of money to the island. mike, you out there to give some direct comments about the marina and the boat situation? any changes regarding getting your hotel guests to enter to board the boat? if they can't come in, the boats will have to pay dock fees to pick up guests at certain hotels and piers which charge per person. so yes, there will be more fees involved.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:57 AM

My comments in regards to the "Poor" was ONLY referring to economics, and certainly not their personal self worth.

I have only respect for those who work towards their goals,to move their life forward, and to better not only their lives, but those around them...rich, or poor.

Dailene, if for one moment you questioned my motives for saying what I did, why didn't you ask for clarification?

I always been a soft touch for those in need (ask your Mom), as well as other organizations that I have donated too.

Heck, I wish I was on the higher end of the money scale, but I'm not.

The new marina project has a long time to go. I am sure many things will change as the need demands.

Anonymous

#12 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:47 PM

i took your words at face value. if i misinterpreted them, sorry. but it seems as others read the same thing i did.
i digress.
it is true that the marina will be very restricted for entry. we as common folk here on the island will NOT be allowed to enter without permission. all boat operators, etc must have ID to enter. kind of like how you can get on the cruise ship piers.... so if you have a small dive operation, or fishing operation, and do NOT have your own pier, you will have to have your clients go to a specific pier and pay the dues for people pick up and drop off. i know a lot of small operations who will be negatively affected by this.

they say it is to open in december. time will tell.
of course, if you buy a condo there, you can in and out as you please and walk your dog there like the video. of course, dogs will not likely be allowed.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#13 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:55 PM

So I can't take a walk there? I hate them if that's true. However, even if it is, I'll bet it will relax with time. Orif not, perhaps that is a little business someone might have to get into -- making up fake laminated entry passes. A good graphics program can do wonders.

#14 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:12 PM

they may allow tours for interested condo buyers. but i would guess that unless you get OFF of a boat in the marina, you can't have access to take a stroll.
maybe we can all get together and buy a condo and ask for 50 gafetes! we are all the owners right??
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:24 AM

I expect they'll let gringos in. When my friend J and I decided to check out Carnival's Puerto Maya complex when it first opened, for example, we weren't allowed to use the empty parking lot for my car but they had no objection to us coming in and looking around.

Here's an interesting article on Fonatur. It's way out of date but does describe what it is and what they've done and plan to do. http://www.therealme...com/fonatur.htm

Here also is a brief article published in March of 2011 notable because there is an aerial photo of the project in the works at that time which gives the exact layout. You can see the curved la caleta cove and the Presidente Hotel and the rectangular slips laid out to the north of it. http://www.mexicanbu...s.phtml?id=4312

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:41 AM

I went to Caleta at noon today and met with the management who operates the port, AMP (I think I have that correct).

I had them bring up CMC, and go through the posted comments, concerns, opinions, then address them one by one.

They explained to me that the harbor is broken into two segments, Commercial, and Residential.

The Commercial side will function exactly like Caleta today. In fact, the commercial side has the lions share of the harbor footprint.

Tours will go out of the new harbor, clients will park, board, shop at the new facilities.

Also, the only part of the harbor complex that is closed to the public will be the private Condo's, and their SMALLER section of the docks.

Using Nauticab's list, the following questions where answered (please refer back to her post to find her comments). Just so where clear, I used her post because it brought to light the harshest comments which I am sure she may have been hearing from her customers.

This is what I was told...the gentleman I was speaking to did not seem to have any agenda, he was just answering my questions. In other words he did not seem to be spouting company propaganda.

1. Regarding the reef. As reported by AMP, it is fine. I also confirmed this with another dive op on the island and he said he was at the reef two weeks ago, and it was okay.

2&3 All boats that are currently in Caleta are moving (if they choose) to the new harbor, AT THE SAME PRICE THEY ARE CURRENTLY PAYING.

4. see #1

5. No comment because he could not understand the statement.
6&7 No comment

EDIT by OP: Forgot to mention. For the time being, there will be NO fueling station on site.

I suggested that it would be a positive of them (or developer) to review some of the comments, and to address them in a public forum like CMC.

For myself, I have more facts then I started with. Which is all I was looking for in the first place.

As I said, it will be a long and interesting project. Things will change.

Anonymous

#17 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:47 AM

Is the restroom at the new caleta still going to be 5 pesos? Come on, someone has to cover the important questions.....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#18 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

:o , :lol:

I did have more questions but I had groceries melting in the jeep.

Anonymous

#19 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:12 PM

thanks for spending the time to get these clear from them. i wonder if they gave you padded answers however since you are a gringa (not meant in a bad way) and if the system will change. all i have heard from my customers who are IN the caleta waiting for their spot is that they can not pick up their guests from there anymore. maybe they weren't told the new news?

if i get more info on my end, i will post as well. my guess is that there will no doubt be an oxxo there (owned by the rich and powerful on the island) and the lady selling tortas and drinks will not be allowed to set up shop.
WTF... no fueling station there? they want to attract the american yachts and have no fueling station? better off going to puerto de abrigo (yes carey, for quite some time you can get gas in puerto de abrigo....right near the sea entrance to the marina). what are they thinking? same engineers who built our new parks and the muelle fiscal? stupid.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#20 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

If they don't add a fueling station to their plans, the project is going to fail in the long run in my opinion. And since you mention the muelle fiscal? Can we say candidate for ugliest building of the decade? And aren't they doing a great job handling traffic flow. Not. Up an escalator to the waiting area and then down a long staircase to board the boats? What is THAT about. I guess they ran out of money to complete the down escalator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users