• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:57 PM

I am a "gringa"...the fellow I asked these question of had nothing other then managing the harbor, he was just doing his job, nor did he have an AGENDA in regards to the project.

His purpose in life was the functioning of the harbor...that's it...nothing more. So, nothing sinister was going on...

Most people would be happy there was no fuel tanks near the water, and that they would have to either truck it in, or get it yourself.

I don't own a boat, I am not planning on owning a boat, I NEVER WANT TO OWN A BOAT.

I took a little time to go out there and carry out some fact finding in order to share current information. It wasn't anything more then that.

But it sure got me hung out to dry...and we wonder why there can be no peace in the world...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#22 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:47 PM

a fueling station is very basic to a marina. Trucking in gas for your boat is not only dangerous to the truck carrying it but to any other vehicles should an accident occur. It's blown my mind for years to see all these pick up trucks driving around town hauling 5 gallon plastic jugs of gasoline in the bed. Surely there should be a way to tuck in a fueling station somewhere where it wouldn't hurt anyone's vista. I'm just saying that the American yacht owners they are hoping to attract are going to expect that. It's one of the most basic features of a marina and I can't imagine a facility in the US not offering this service.

Just a topic for discussion. I'm sure it won't impact on the sale of condos and hotel rooms in what sounds like it will be a lovely complex. But I'm just saying that yacht owners are going to be real shocked that their docking fees don't include access to a fueling station. It seems a little bizarre to me. Perhaps someone could explain? Is it an environmental hazard or something?

#23 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:04 PM

From what I have read the Mega yacht will tender out in deeper water, the little skiff will be what they bring into the dock. Of course the "skiff's" could be a cabin cruiser...I don't live that life.

All in due time, things change, new project...if you look at some of the other projects that have been done, there are fueling station.

I think it is a wait a see.

I CHOOSE to be an OPTIMIST...

I want to make something REALLLY CLEAR. I have admired Nauticab for what she has accomplished, her loyalty to her family, and her IRONMAN ability.

However, sometimes we can really piss each other off.

That does not mean for one moment that I would not be there for her, or when she peddles by I would not scream and yell for her success.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#24 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

paula, my comment was not to hang you out to dry at all. no one has hung you out to dry. read it again... i thanked you for getting the info. agenda or not, people TEND to give info to a local and diff info to a gringo/tourist. it is just fact. maybe this guy was the exception. let's hope so.
puerto de abrigo used to have a functioning fuel station long ago that was in constant use when the american yachts were here in abundance from feb thru may/june. when the owner decided to get greedy, he closed the fuel station and within 2 years, all the american boats were gone. that was a lot of money that left the island... dock fees, good salaries for the locals working on the boats, the bars and restaurants, grocery stores... these were people who spent a butt load of cash for MONTHS here on the island. which is why API took over and slowly but surely is getting the marina back into shape and they have a fueling station again.

if they open the marina without the fueling dock, trucks will look much worse to the look of the place. and the american boats will say "cozumel f*cked up again" and they will go to isla mujeres or puerto aventuras or puerto morelos, where the amenities are nice, clean, and the same price if not cheaper than here. do you know how much of a pain it is to have a big gas truck come out to fuel 7000 liters in a boat? and if it is late?

the new marina operators will be downright foolish to NOT have the fuel dock there.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#25 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:35 PM

Thanks for going to the trouble to root out the marina authority and chat him up, Paula.

#26 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for going to the trouble to root out the marina authority and chat him up, Paula.

ditto
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#27 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

The advantage of a tanker fuel rig set up is that it can be moved if a hurricane is coming. I've never been to a marina that didn't charge a premium for fuel, even when there was no road tax in the price.

At most of the race tracks I've visited, on race weekends, we always bought purchased our fuel from a tanker truck that had portable pumps set up to dispense the fuel. So using a tanker is not that odd. We always got daily "exciting data" from the operators such as dielectric constants, fuel temperature and exact weight per gallon at that temperature.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#28 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:14 PM

thats a good point. i just remember the hassle the american yachts dealt with back 11 years ago and how their trips were delayed etc due to the truck showing up late or not at all. and the owners were not happy... at all.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#29 Jim912

Jim912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, teaching scuba and working on our house.

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:53 PM

For the last couple of years there has been a tanker setup just as you enter Caletta on your left from the ocean. It has both diesel and gas. Cash only. But much easier than having to lug 5 and 10 gallon fuel containers and hoses in and out every day.

Clearly not everyone has taken advantage of the fueling station. You can see people unloading fuel and filling like they have been doing for years. The fuel might cost more since someone has to be there to man the tanker. The tanker could be moved much easier than trying to secure large gas and diesel tanks from hurrican force winds and water.

#30 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:17 PM

The conversation may have moved some off of this subtopic, but I have a friend who owns a small dive shop/dive boat and currently docks it at the Caleta. I asked him what his understanding from the "authorities" was. Here is his response:

The new marina is almost done but I'm sure it will take them at least 6 or 12 more months until they finish everything. As soon as they finish, we have to move from our current spot at the Caleta to the new marina. The people who will be able to move to the new marina are those who have a contract. Everyone who had a contract at the Caleta was offered a contract for the new marina. I already have mine. We signed it a few months ago and the contract guarantees a new space once everything is finished. The boats that will be left out of the new harbor are from the people who haven't used the marina ever and from the people who didn't sign the contract for some reason. I don't think the concerns expressed by your friends that we might not end up with a new space will turn out to be true. There will be big trouble if they don't give us a space in the new marina like they promised. Any way, we have to wait until we see how everything will play out. As soon as we all move to the new spaces, they are going to start building a fancy private marina at what used to be the Caleta.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users