25 replies to this topic

#1 ljohnson

ljohnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Salsa Dancing, Kiteboarding, Scuba Diving, and living in Paradise

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:59 AM

Holy Moley....it's been so hot here the last 2 or 3 days. With the muggy humidity being so high, the heat index yesterday was 94 degrees but then top that with no wind and it felt even hotter!!! You can definatley tell it's July!
Laura Johnson
www.salsacozumel.com

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

Please turn up the fan. I will be there Sunday and I dont want to sweat too much.... :unsure:

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

Oh, to be back on the island...up here in the Midwest we have a heat index of 115, and no beautiful ocean to jump into.

#4 Eileen

Eileen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:45 AM

I guess we should come down there to cool off! Toronto's temperature on Thursday promises to be 38 degrees Celsius (100 degrees Fahrenheit) with a humidex (heat) index reading of 45 degrees Celsius (113 degrees Fahrenheit) and no ocean breezes to help either!

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

Son just called, he said it was 98, and humidity was really high. He lives in Orchard Park, NY a burb of Buffalo.

They are only working half days because of the heat...poor baby.

Told him it was cooler here.

But, it does feel HOT, HOT, HOT here.

I will be paying BIG time for the AC I use today.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:11 PM

102 on the dash of the Charger today. I am hoping Coz treats me better than that next week.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#7 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:58 PM

no a/c in my home and i still am sleeping under my comforter at night. sorry, ICFs baby. they work! :)
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

hate to be ignorant on the jargon, but what is "sorry, ICFs baby"

I have a blanket on my bed as well at night. It does get cool at night.

When we built this place, mini splits where way out of our price range. So, we went for central AC.

I will certainly consider using the Styrofoam blocks/walls when we build on, and replace our central with splits.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:26 PM

Well the AC here just quit, so hopefully the mini splits at the condo are working well!!

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#10 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:50 AM

Well I was wondering what ICF,s were also . I am glad somebody else does not know. Fortunately for us we live west of denver and it is getting down to 56 in the morning, never above 90. Probably why we are looking at living there in the winter only. Chicken you say, Damn right.

#11 Coz girl

Coz girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:29 PM

Oh my lord is it hot!!! I have just been miserable at night. We finally said 'uncle' and the new mini-split is going in tomorrow! They are on sale at Chedraui until maņana... This is my last miserable night. :)

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:46 AM

Our bedroom mini split which we sized correctly for the room using all the calculations mentioned by traveller in a different posting, isn't handling the heat all that well. May be the unit. May be that when its this hot the units just can't crank it down enough. My guys coming tomorrow and we shall see what he says. In the meantime, the best I can do is get it to 81 degrees but with low humidity of 51% which does make a huge diff. But it ain't chilling the room like the jewelry stores on Melgar, I'll tell you that. And this week, I'm willing to pay the bill for that kind of sleeping bliss.

Saw some pretty good prices on York mini splits at Sam's today but don't know if they're better than Ched as I wasn't looking for a new unit. Yet.

#13 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:37 PM

If I where selling AC/installing units here, I guess I would check all the prices on the island, tell the client where to purchase, and gab all the install business I could.

There might be two more options to check;

1. 65, just north of San Fran super market is a large store that sells all kinds of electrical stuff
2. 30th, just downstairs/next door to Magic by Design has York AC units, as well as lots of other stuff.

Anonymous

#14 Coz girl

Coz girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:05 PM

Got the mini split today, just waiting on brother-in-law to come install it for us. I told hubby if It wasn't in today I was going to spend the night in a hotel. ;-) I was miserable last night. Had to get up once and go stand outside and rub ice on myself... Ridiculous!!!

Oh- and we found a store that sells REAL milk! I am so excited! It is a good day!

Julie

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

Congratulations on the mini split. May you sleep well tonight.
Now down to business. Where did you find the fresh milk?

#16 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:13 PM

icf, insulated concrete forms. we just went to home depot for some fans that will be installed this week in our living room, which gets a little warm when the windows are all closed.
we used to be much much cooler before sams cut down all the trees for their always empty parking lot (what a waste). paula, that is what is so wonderful about living in the jungle! we kind of had it but no more. so we had to buy fans. planned anyway.

so paula you spoke about what i was referring to, just didn't make the connection. and yeah, it will make a huge difference in your addition. if placed right with windows in strategic places, no AC is needed. our electric bill for 2 months was under 250 pesos.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#17 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:46 PM

ah but what a difference 2 nice ceiling fans make! just bought them at home depot for our vaulted ceiling, installed today, and it is so pleasant! i am a very happy owner of two new hampton bay fans. hunters were 3 times the price! great deal at home depot.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#18 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

I'll bet they have plastic blades, too. Best purchase I ever made was importing Hunters with 5 plastic blades. I was so sick of having to sand down and repaint the VEC metal blades every two years and then after about four just giving up and replacing the blades.

The plastic blades don't rust, of course, and they're very easy to clean as well.

#19 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:53 PM

and so quiet! they are almost identical to the hunter fan i had in the states and same blades. i was worried about getting such a long entension (3ft) but turns out it was perfect. can even pull the light switch and change the bulbs without a ladder! i HATE my vec blades. so little by little i will replace the others too.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#20 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:08 AM

I got my Hunter 52" blade interior/exterior grade ceiling fans at Home Depot online and brought them down. $150 each. They are extremely expensive to buy down here when you can find them, that brand with its lifetime guarantee. Really well built pieces. Let's compare notes on how well Hampton Bay and Hunter fans are doing a couple years down the line so we can help other home owners. My Hunters here are 2 years old and so far so good in pristine condition with no malfunctioning, tics, imbalances and the like.

Depending on the price you paid for the Hampton Bay here in Mexico -- including transportation costs to and from Cancun or Playa if you bought it there -- it might behoof home owners to consider hauling a good quality fan down from the states on the plane every time you come. Just ship it in its box as as luggage piece. Keep the receipts because they will see it's new at customs so you need to assure them that you're not more than $300 over limit per person.

Bottom line is ceiling fans are a bottom line necessity here. Can't imagine living without them. And 52" 'wing span' blades in plastic or wood is the only way to go. Sure you can get VEC's locally for, well, used to be about $35 US per fan. But they look like hell in two years due to the rust on the windward blade edge, are shorter in span and have only 3 blades instead of 5. So ya get what you pay for with this indispensable item.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users