• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:26 AM

The extensions on our Hunter fans is at least 8ft from beam down, and about 9 feet above our heads We didn't do the lamp option (prefer table lamps)We installed wall controls for all our fans.

But, don't be concerned about raising the fan level...they will be stable if you use PVC pipe. Of course if you want to be a little fancy, you can buy, or purchase "socks" that cover the PVC, or Chains if they are exposed.

It adds to the cleaning efforts however.

The weather has been great for the past three days, no AC.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#22 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:47 AM

dang paula, and i thought i had a high ceiling!

home depot's hampton bay fans (52inch) were running around 799 and 1299 without the lamp, and add another 300 to 400 pesos with the lamp. mine were on closeout and were 999 each with 3 glass lamps, antique brass finish. and i bought the 3ft extensions by hampton bay. they didn't have the antique brass in that size so i bought "chicago" which looks like the walnut wood side of the blade. looks great.
the hunters (and they had a decent selection) were about $1800 and up, some at over 3000 pesos. the equivalent of my hunter was about 2300 pesos or more. and they have a 20 or 25 yr warranty. we put our fan in a suitcase and carried the other. we were in cancun anyway so just added home depot to the stop.

i have heard that hampton bay to hunter is like comparing a bmw to a mercedes and vec would be like a ford. yes a difference, but not much.
i will give a report in 3 years. please remind me. :)
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#23 Coz girl

Coz girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:26 PM

Congratulations on the mini split. May you sleep well tonight.
Now down to business. Where did you find the fresh milk?

Fresh milk is at a little tortillarilla ( Ganasis?) on the corner of 55 and 10. You can buy by litter or gallon. It tastes good but doesn't have a long shelf life. Sure beats milk in a box!

#24 Coz girl

Coz girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:45 PM

Ok, Chedraui gets a big fat raspberry from me. I am sooooo annoyed with them! This is a buyer beware to you all...
We bought a new LG mini-split there Monday. They were on sale. They told us we had 15 days to return it if there were any problems.
Took it home, had it installed and slept great for one night. Next day it was dead. Nada. We had two people come look at it. Both said the compressor was bad. Hubby went to Ched. yesterday to see what we needed to do. The guy said to uninstall it and bring it back. So today, that is what we did. Now, I know customer service is not the same here as in US. I prepared myself for the dog and pony show. But - after 2 hours there, a multitude of different sales people (one who tried to tell us we could only exchange it for a Daewood brand because they were out of LGs) and finally a manager, we were told we had to wait another 20 min. for their 'engineer' to come talk to us. When he arrived, he said that we could not return it because he had not installed it and that it had been installed wrong. How he could tell that without seeing it is a mystery. He then told us we had to take it back home, re-install it, and he would mosey on by sometime tomorrow, or Sunday or Monday. (He is very busy, you know.) We let them know that we were upset that they would not honor the return policy since they made no mention that their guy had to do the installation. No Response. We asked about the guy that told us to take it out and bring the whole flippin' thing back. No answer. They pretty much just blew us off and sent us on our way.
So yes, I am pissed. Hot and pissed. My husband (a local) is way pissed off too. I got to hear the 'angry' spanish all the way home! :-0
I will not be buying any big ticket items at Chedraui again. :-(. They suck.

Julie

#25 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:38 AM

You must go to PROFECO this morning if possible. If you lodge a complaint today, chances are good you will have a replacement AC from Chedraui by the end of the day and certainly by Monday. They can have one shipped over from another store on the mainland.

This is a perfect case for the Mexican consumer protection union. Chedraui will not want to go into arbitration on this as they will lose. So one phone call from the PROFECO office to the Cozumel manager of Chedraui is all it is going to take in all probability.

The woman who is the head of the office now speaks excellent English so I understand. However, you might need to be able to speak enough Spanish to ask when she's going to be there to speak with you.

The office is upstairs of El Mercado. The stairs face onto Rosada Salas and are near the AVenida 25 end of the market. They're kind of hidden but you will find them if you look and if you have problems, ask anyone for la oficina de PROFECO Pro FAY coh.

Good time to go is 10:30 AM.

The procedure -- You file a complaint usually with the secretary that is sitting in front of the door and they schedule a date for arbitration a week or two later. Hardly anyone every makes it to the arbitration meeting because if the head of the office thinks your case has merit and its a local thing as it is here, she'll just call over to the store and tell them you are filing a complaint against them and if they don't want to go into arbitration on this -- as in the manager of the store will have to go sit on a grungey couch and listen to you bitch at him -- he better make this right pronto.

They will tell you to let them know if you hear from Chedraui and it is possible they can even settle it for you over the phone.

You will need to bring a copy of your sales slip and if you have any other information about the return policy, that would be good, too although if you don't have that, it's not a big deal as the signs were clearly posted correct? You should also bring a written document explaining what happened and including as many dates and details as possible. That way if the head of PROFECO isn't at the office when you come in, she'll see it when she gets there. Include your contact informaton also. I would also take along a copy of any utility bill you have if possible that shows your address. This is not actually necessary but it wouldn't hurt if you have it. But they help tourists who don't live here also. So---

Do you speak enough Spanish to find out when the English speaking woman will be coming in? If so, you could call the office ahead so you could be sure to get her. You can also email her, actually. But that approach might not get you reddress until next Tuesday.

Let me find that contact info for you with a search on this forum... hold on. Well, here is her name and email: Lic. Ariadne Santin in Cozumel her email address is asantinprofeco@yahoo.com. Let's see if I can find a phone number.....Here you go: 872-0180

¿Necesito hablar con Ariadne Santin? ¿Cuándo estará ella en la oficina hoy? And they'll tell you an hour.

Or just go on in. But 10:30 to 11 today or Monday is a good bet. Just take contact info, copy of sales slip and a description of your complaint.

Once the clown engineer comes out to install if they insist on that (bogus in my opinion) post on here and I will give you the number of someone very reliable who will either do the initial installation or else fix what the clown does. Be sure to mention in your complaint that they never said anything about having to use their people for the installation. If possible, I would get them to agree to let you use your own hire to do the install.

#26 Coz girl

Coz girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:22 PM

Carey,
Thanks so much for the info. I believe we will be paying PROFECO a little visit manaña. My husband, always wanting to give folks a chance to do the right thing, paid one more visit to Ched. yesterday. He told them how unhappy we were with the situation, and said we knew the AC was bad and at this point, rather than an exchange, we would just like to return it and get our money back. Manager said no way. They would not do it. He (manager) said they were going to fix it and in his mind we should be very thankful they were willing to do that - no charge. I told him we would go to PROFECO and he did not seem to care.
Mt brother-in law installs air conditioners and knows he put it in right. He was furious and called the engineer 'clown' to come watch him re-install it last night. Lo and behold, it STILL would not work. The clown said he would have to come back today to figure out why it wasn't working. Funny why he could not do it last night. It became clear after he left. My cuñado said he knows who this guy is. He repairs TV's not AC's. So he shows back up today ( 31/2 hours late) with another guy. They had a little print off with directions for checking the compressor (and I took a picture of it while they were outside) so that tells me he does not make it a practice to install and repair many AC units. They just finished and informed me that it has a bad compressor ( what a surprise)! He said he will order parts tomorrow and when they arrive he will return to 'fix' it. I again said I wanted them to either exchange it TODAY or refund my money. He said no.
I am still very angry and frustrated. I have to stand by my original warning to everyone to NOT buy anything at Chedraui's that might need to be returned. It has been nothing but a nightmare. And it isn't over yet...
I have to go back to the US on Wednesday so maybe when I get back I will actually have AC. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

You must go to PROFECO this morning if possible. If you lodge a complaint today, chances are good you will have a replacement AC from Chedraui by the end of the day and certainly by Monday. They can have one shipped over from another store on the mainland.

This is a perfect case for the Mexican consumer protection union. Chedraui will not want to go into arbitration on this as they will lose. So one phone call from the PROFECO office to the Cozumel manager of Chedraui is all it is going to take in all probability.

The woman who is the head of the office now speaks excellent English so I understand. However, you might need to be able to speak enough Spanish to ask when she's going to be there to speak with you.

The office is upstairs of El Mercado. The stairs face onto Rosada Salas and are near the AVenida 25 end of the market. They're kind of hidden but you will find them if you look and if you have problems, ask anyone for la oficina de PROFECO Pro FAY coh.

Good time to go is 10:30 AM.

The procedure -- You file a complaint usually with the secretary that is sitting in front of the door and they schedule a date for arbitration a week or two later. Hardly anyone every makes it to the arbitration meeting because if the head of the office thinks your case has merit and its a local thing as it is here, she'll just call over to the store and tell them you are filing a complaint against them and if they don't want to go into arbitration on this -- as in the manager of the store will have to go sit on a grungey couch and listen to you bitch at him -- he better make this right pronto.

They will tell you to let them know if you hear from Chedraui and it is possible they can even settle it for you over the phone.

You will need to bring a copy of your sales slip and if you have any other information about the return policy, that would be good, too although if you don't have that, it's not a big deal as the signs were clearly posted correct? You should also bring a written document explaining what happened and including as many dates and details as possible. That way if the head of PROFECO isn't at the office when you come in, she'll see it when she gets there. Include your contact informaton also. I would also take along a copy of any utility bill you have if possible that shows your address. This is not actually necessary but it wouldn't hurt if you have it. But they help tourists who don't live here also. So---

Do you speak enough Spanish to find out when the English speaking woman will be coming in? If so, you could call the office ahead so you could be sure to get her. You can also email her, actually. But that approach might not get you reddress until next Tuesday.

Let me find that contact info for you with a search on this forum... hold on. Well, here is her name and email: Lic. Ariadne Santin in Cozumel her email address is asantinprofeco@yahoo.com. Let's see if I can find a phone number.....Here you go: 872-0180

¿Necesito hablar con Ariadne Santin? ¿Cuándo estará ella en la oficina hoy? And they'll tell you an hour.

Or just go on in. But 10:30 to 11 today or Monday is a good bet. Just take contact info, copy of sales slip and a description of your complaint.

Once the clown engineer comes out to install if they insist on that (bogus in my opinion) post on here and I will give you the number of someone very reliable who will either do the initial installation or else fix what the clown does. Be sure to mention in your complaint that they never said anything about having to use their people for the installation. If possible, I would get them to agree to let you use your own hire to do the install.
[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users