13 replies to this topic

#1 Jen87

Jen87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:28 PM

Hola!

I am interested in moving to Cozumel or Playa Del Carmen. I've visited both places but recently went to Playa Del Carmen and decided that I would love to move to Mexico. I am a recent college graduate with a degree in Elementary Education. If anyone has any tips for me as far as how to get a job or know of any contacts I would really appreciate it. I currently teach summer school in the US and I am a nanny. I am young and ambitious and would love to experience life in Mexico. I'm interested in teaching, being a nanny or working at a resort in the kids' club or activities staff.

Thank you!

#2 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:49 PM

Teachers don't make enough money to live off of and work very long hours. FYI- Mexican nationals are nearly always hired over a foreigner. A nanny might work. Maybe somebody on here can give you some positive, helpful info. Good Luck.

#3 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:47 PM

Once it gets closer to the busy season, you might have some luck with the kids club at hotels. Start making phone calls and send emails now and follow up, follow up, follow up. Be ready for long hours, and no time off. I know Iberostar resorts have some great kids programs, and I'm sure they aren't the only ones, and it helps if you know someone who works there already. I know a couple of foreigners that have gotten jobs at hotels on the animation staff, but they knew people. Good luck!

#4 Agnes62

Agnes62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:34 AM

Your best bet it to apply with American companies that have businesses in Mexico. It helps to be flexible in where you want to go, as well. I know WalMart/Sams has an international division - but you will probably have to start in the US and apply for international positions. Try someone like Wyndham resorts and work your way to an international position. Did you take any hotel management in school?
What is your degree in? Education? Are you ESL certified? There are teaching positions through a company named Teach Away - they have a great website. You need ESL certification and two years full-time experience. They have great opportunities right now for K-3 in Abu Dhabi and Dubai - pays REALLY well. You could gain experience,save money and so forth that way, then make your way to Mexico. I agree with pecosgirl - unless your parents or someone can afford to pay your living expences, they don't pay teachers enough to live on (generally) in Mexico. If you can swing something like that, I would go for it. I have been teaching for 26 years - and would love to teach in Mexico, but I am not the "peace corps" type of person. Ever notice that when you tell people in Mexico your a teacher, they always ask what else you do?
Good Luck! You have youth on your side - that helps a lot :-)

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:22 PM

We always tell anyone thinking of moving here to come down for minimum three months with enough money to cover your expenses. Don't live the tourist life. Find a lower level place and eat in or at the loncherias. Get out a lot, though, and smooze people to see how they like their work, who might be hiring.

As others have said, you can't make a living here as a teacher. And working as an animator you will also barely break even if you live as described above. There really are so few jobs a foreigner is allowed to do here and all involve long, long hours and only one day off per week combined with pay that would be considered laughable in the US.

But there are compensations as there are a whole lot of very nice people who are also living a cheap life style and still having fun. So that could compensate. Just watch out for the handsome Mexican sharkie boys you're likely to run into. They can sweep you off your feet, tell you they want to take you home to meet their Mama followed by a marriage proposal. THen they'll put you on the plane with a kiss and hang around waiting for the next cute 'rich' (to them) gringa to hit the island.

One way to tell if you are in the company of this type of guy is if you find that you are always the one paying for things like drinks, food, taxi rides. Very common here.

There are a lot of young Mexican guys here who prey on gullible gringas in a pretty cynical way. They can be so charming and romantic I would imagine it would be hard for some to resist -- particularly if you hadn't been warned in advance.

What you have to remember is that a lot of Mexican guys think most foreign women are loose women because they behave in ways that are perfectly acceptable in the US but brand you as a slut down here.

#6 Jen87

Jen87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

Wow! Thank you for all of the advice. Although I would like to earn money, I am more interested in moving there for the experience. I would love to move there for at least three months to check it out. I know people at a resort in Playa Del Carmen and they have been trying to help me find a job. I contacted a few resorts so I think I will continue to contact more and follow up. Thank you so much for replying!

If you have any other suggestions please let me know! Thank you!

#7 Agnes62

Agnes62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

Just an additional thought... I don't know where you are from, but here is Texas they are really pushing for ESL certification for Elementary people. Maybe if you got a position in your home area first, they would pay for you ESL certification and you could get experience at the same time. You could also add bi-lingual certification if you speak Spanish. Another great teaching experience, for those wanting to travel and explore other countries - are DOD (Dept. of Defense) schools. They also have a website.

#8 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:32 PM

I was told that teachers on the island make around $400. to $500. US per month. Ya can't live on that. My husband has been a teacher for 31 years and wanted to teach on Cozumel...

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:10 PM

That's the ball park figure but it's not the end of it. The schools -- most of them anyway -- have a very different mind set. The ones where the richer kids go, for example, teachers really don't get to discipline students. If they do, they stand a very good chance of getting called on the rug by the parents. Also there tends to be tons and tons of busy work piled on.

#10 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:47 PM

Carey, I don't know what school(s) you are talking about, but I am acquainted with a very good school that does NOT fit your description at all. Perhaps it is not a good idea to make that type of generalization?
"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:55 PM

I did not say all schools I don't believe. That is certainly not what I meant. However, I've talked to a fair number of parents -- foreigners who put their children in various schools here -- and these are observations I've heard them make again and again. Many choose to take their kids out of school and teach them at home in consequence. So I'm speaking of some schools here. Whether its the majority or not, I am not qualified to say.

I also base my information about teachers and discipline on the experiences of one particular young woman who worked as a teacher for 6 months at one of the schools on the island where all the rich kids traditionally went. Spent a loooong time talking with her about her experiences. She could only take it for 6 months and then ditched and she was extremely qualified with a teaching degree and a specialty in art.

I'm glad to hear things are getting better on some fronts.

#12 Agnes62

Agnes62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:05 AM

Carey - That's how it is everywhere now, regardless of socioeconomic status. Students are no longer responsible for their learning or behavior; and the administration will usually support the parent, not the teacher. Sort of sad really - teaching has kind of become a demeaning job at times. Luckily, the success of the students overrides the negative. The problems come from a small percentage and the rest are great kids.

#13 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:56 PM

my friend, over 5 years ago, was getting paid to teach english at one of the schools $9000 pesos a month. no spanish was taught in her class although she spoke great spanish. you can live on that. jsut gotta know how to live! :)
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:53 PM

Jen87...have you thought about working in the cruise industry.

If you wanted to work on board a ship, it would give you a great opportunity to see many different places, a place to work and live and you will get practical work experience under your belt, plus tons of port contacts.

Just a though.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users