• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DavidG

DavidG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:34 AM

I was hopingng to sell it for around 75,000 pesos or threabouts. this is pretty low, considering the exchange rate but we have found another car we want and we have had this one a while. It has served us very well and has a lot of use left in it. we'd like to show it to you and see what you think; Shows and drives well. I think we have taken good care of it.Loaded with options; and they all work.

it is US PLATED , US REGISTEED< US INSURED.. so whatever that means; you may know more than me, I guess anoyher expat must buy???? its a good deal the insurance is a fraction of mexican insurance, plus there are no tenencias to pay.. almost too good to be true.

David 872-6506 ext 1

#2 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:02 AM

David,

I presume this vehicle was brought in on a temporary import permit. By law, it is illegal to sell an imported vehicle. That is clearly stated on the permit.

I know of one person who had a vehicle transferred to them by a spouse. That was not a sale.

In order for that to be legal, the person had to go to the Belize border - Subtiente Lopez. That is where the original import permit was exchanged for a new one. To be on the safe side, you would need to accompany a buyer to change the permit, as it is illegal for a person who is not immediate family to drive the vehicle with out the permit holder being present in the vehicle.

On another note, this same person recently went to Puerto Juarez to renew the permit since they were going to take a trip out of Q. Roo to Chiapas. To be safe they wanted to renew it, as there is a risk when leaving Q. Roo with an expired permit. Beginning this year it was necessary to have the vehicle with them so the aduana could take a photo and check the VIN #.

The last person who purchased a US plated vehicle on a import permit was detained by police at the Cozumel airport. The permit was not transferred to the buyer, the original permit was 6 yrs expired. One point I'm not sure of is whether the buyer had the title in his possession at the time. Though if he did, the permit wasn't in his name and the original owner was not in the vehicle with him. What I do know is this buyer had a FMT visa, which could have been one of several issues that gave police cause. The law states that if a person's FM-3 visa is current their permit is also. This may be debatable if stopped by an officer that doesn't know the law.

His detention was 36 hours and he faced a barrage of threats from police. He now has a very bad taste in his mouth for Cozumel. At some point, he must return to the island and excuted a legal document of sorts to cancel the sale. When that occurs, the legal owner may have to pay fine, back taxes or something.

I don't mean to discourage you, but you and your buyer must be aware of the risks.

You mention that it's US insured. US insurance would not be useful for a buyer, since the coverage is in your name.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:54 PM

Question?

The vehicle is over 10 years old can it be plated with MX license?

How is that done, and is it worth it?

It would be so much easier then going to Belize, and nobody goes to jail....

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 DavidG

DavidG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:25 AM

Thanks a bunch for he detailed reply. at least the insurace is good we've had he truck here 10 years and 2 accidents; both were covered very well by the tuirist insurance, which is cheaper by the way than MX insurance if ever had it legalized which is what we really want to do. the potnetial buyer would like it mexicsnized. Thanks DavidG

#5 DavidG

DavidG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:44 AM

I also named a couple of mexicancs as insureds on the poolicy in hopes if something happened whiole hey were driving we would say they work for me as a mechanic and are test drivibg the vehicle.?
DavidG

#6 DavidG

DavidG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:46 AM

Thank you for asking that; I hope that will be the answer, and not too costly.

Davidg

#7 DavidG

DavidG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:55 AM

We do have all the papers with the vegicle including the title, and the temporary import which we have done nothing with thinking as long as our FM3s were good so was our car permit,

DavidG

You have to start somehwere and here seemend like a good place to start,

Dvaid G

Thanks again for the thoughtfulul replies,

#8 DavidG

DavidG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:58 AM

I can let you know the exact number of miles but I thing around 100,000,

#9 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:09 AM

David,

Definitive import is challenging. Here's a very long article from Yucatan Living about the process there. It's a bit arduous and I don't know how you would do it here. You might try contacting some of the aduanals (customs brokers) on the island, but if I recall correctly none of them do vehicles.

http://www.yucatanli...ense-plates.htm

Keep in mind the definitive importation regulation for vehicles over 10 yrs old expires the end of this year.

BTW, it's quite risky to allow a Mexican to drive your vehicle without you being in it with them. It's illegal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users