Tortas Cochinita Pibil

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

I need some help here. I'll be diving on Sunday, up early, & back to town around 12:30 -- I really want to get some of those tasty Tortas Cochinita Pibil, I remember them from past trips, sold in the little family owned places along Avenida 30, only available Sundays (as I recall), and they usually run out early. Chewy mexican rolls with a cunchy crust, filled with marinated slow-roasted pork, topped with grilled onions - a real treat. Where is the best place to get them? What are my chances of still being able to get them if I don't get back to town til 12:30 or 1:00 p.m.? And help me out on my very rusty Spanish - "with Onions" -- is than "con cebollos" [Pronounced "say BOY os"]?

#2 Agnes62

Agnes62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:35 PM

It's cebollas - (say - boy - yas). I don't know the answer as to where to get them - I don't live there - but now I am very hungry for them. Sound great. Please post where you find them, as I will be there in 7 days.

#3 TreeSon

TreeSon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:49 PM

Corner of 12 and 75...a bit farther out....but worth it!

#4 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:02 AM

If worse comes to worse check out Mega - they actually have pretty good cochinita pibil on Sundays. It's the next best thing.

#5 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:26 AM

The local family's set up shop wherever on Sunday mornings. The 3 that are closest to my apartment are on the corner of 4 and calle 5n. The other one is on Calle 5n and Juarez walking towards the square kinda by the OXXO and Bob's. One more is off calle 30...you take a left as you are heading towards 11 at the old ACE Hardware and look for an Abbarote with a Brown awning.

***Have to say the BEST pibil I have eaten came from a little house on the transversal that is located on the left hand side of the road a little past the tope (talk about waaaaay out there jajaja) I think what makes this one so much better is that this local cooks his whole pig in the ground in leaf. He also grows his own Dragon Fruit and the hottest Habaneros I have ever eaten. Some times I think the others in town just cut it up and slow cook it in a big pot.

When I order I usually say Sólo carne blanca y oscura por favor. Nada más es necesario ;o) Only white and dark meat please....nothing else needed. While I consider myself an adventurous eater, other internal organs and parts are not up my alley. The juice that it all comes in however is yummy so go figure lol. If you want to look like a real local take your own Tupperware for your to go container and sammiches later.

Enjoy,
MIkes

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:51 PM

Fab reply, Mike! Thanks! And the first two places you mentioned are an easy walk from where Dan is staying at Casa Mexicana. I may have to try that jungle treat!

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

twice today I am pleading ignorance...what is this?

I have heard about it, I know everybody loves it...but I truly have no idea what the ingredients are.

Some enlightenment, please.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:27 PM

It's pork marianated in a special sauce a predominate ingredient of which is the paprika-like spice, achiote. Traditionally, the meat is wrapped in banana leaves and slow cooked in a pit. But as Mike points out, a lot of people in town that make this on Sunday -- look for the hand made signs that say Muy Rico conchinita pibil -- are possibly taking a few shortcuts in terms of how the meat is cooked. He's found someone out in the jungle that makes the Real Goods. However, I will say that I don't believe I've had conchinita pibil I didn't enjoy anywhere on this island. Only thing is you have to pick a lot of fat globules out of it. I'm not a fan of stewed fat that doesn't render down in the cooking. Other than that, this is a delicious way to cook pork and possibly the most famous Yucatecan entree.

#9 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

Thanks all - I did get a couple of recommendations from the Divemasters at Dive with Martin this Morning - both said I need to go to Amigo Mario, on Calle 5 Sur, between Ave. 35 & 40. Mike, the jungle trip looks like an adventure, but I'm just a little frightened by your claim that his habaneros are "the hottest you've ever had." I'm from Texas, and I like a little heat, but I tend to stay away from Habaneros entirely (well, unless they are very diluted). Anyway, I'll try out Amigo Mario's tomorrow & let you know.

#10 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:24 PM

Amigos Marios has conchinita every day, I believe. Forgot about them. Nice folks. Do use Mike's instructs re ordering unless you want a lot of fat globules and mystery meat morsels. Ja Ja. Mike is kind of our eat great on the cheap food gourmet. Excellent cook himself and adventurous food wise his rec.'s tend to be very good indeed made much more so by the fact that he is here a LOT and always on the prowl for de good stuff.

#11 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:23 PM

Sorry, Carey & Mike, but by the time I got back to town from the Dive Boat, after 12:30, none of the little family stalls I saw had any Cochinita Pibil left; I checked two places, both closing down. I went to Amigo Marios, figuring it was my best chance. The Cohinita Pibil was decent, not great, though part of that may have been my fault. I ordered Dos Tortas Cochinita Pibil con sabollas - two sandwiches for 44 Pesos (such a deal!), and the sandwiches were tasty, but a bit on the dry side. I noticed, as I was standing there, that when some ordered their Tortas, they dipped the rolls in the juice (which they didn't do for mine); I guess I need to learn how to order my Tortas "wet" - more Spanish to learn before my next trip. Mike, I will get around to trying the Tortas on the cross-Island road; I just need to take a Sunday off from diving some trip.

#12 Sandy H

Sandy H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

I picked up some cochinita today at Amigo Marios, just the mean, not on tortas. Kinda expensive tho, $200 pesos/kilo. I haven't tried it yet, but they did weight out the meat and then pour some of the sauce over it so it's really wet. I might try the tortas next; the price seems very reasonable for them.

#13 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:15 PM

DJDiverDan,

Well now you know where a few pibil stands are as you saw them ;o) so you know where to go next time. I live in central Texas as well and can eat the most habaneros whole but these were soooo hot. and it was like eating 3 peppers because when you bit into them there were two more peppers growing...kinda like a pepper inside of a pepper inside of the big outside pepper. Hot!x3 jajaja I went with my longtime friends Jenster101, and David to the transversal local. Maybe Jenster has some pix of our jungle Pibil adventure? I will ask her to post up pix and or better directions if she has em. Enjoy the rest of your vacation in sunny cozumel!

Carey,

Thanks for the kind words. I do like to cook/BBQ for sure. Great thing about SanMiguel is that there is always somewhere new to try or another mom and pop place to go to because your friends said it was super, or you just happen to be walkin and go into a place to try for the first time. Flipside to that is that sometimes when you find a good one the next time you come down they may not still be open ;o(

Mikes

#14 Design Kim

Design Kim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

Any new info on this topic? I remembered reading this a few months ago and now that we are booked to come back down there, I wanted to see if we can track some down. I have two issues, though, that I have to contend with - a short Saturday to Saturday stay, so only one Sunday - and - we probably won't have a car, yet. (Too bad on that one - the place on the transversal sounds wonderful!) We are renting a condo at El Cantil this year, so anywhere in town is within walking distance. But it was mentioned that Amigo Mario's serves it everyday. Is this still true?

#15 Astoria Fiero

Astoria Fiero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Travel, automobile hobby- restoration, and collection.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

Cochenita Pibil is my favorite. Believe it or not I was introduced to it at a Fontan Hotel "vacation club" presentation they were trying to get off the ground. It was the best I have had. But, since,I have ordered it at inumerable restaurants on the island and in Playa. None have been as good. I've not come across it at the smaller locations. So,I have been trying to replicate it myself and finaly have come close. Using a pork shoulder roast, it is rubbed in anchiote paste, then it is marinated in sour orange juice or it's equal after adding a few habineros, some cummin, some paprica, and some chili powder , along with ground coriander [1 tsp each of the aformentioned per 2 lbs. of roast]-and a little salt and black pepper. Add a couple garlic cloves or to taste. Then put the mixture in a large zip lock and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours. It then can be roasted, covered in an oven at around 200 degrees after wrapping in banana leaves. I actually have had better luck doing it in a crock pot, on low, for about 6-8 yours along with the marinade. I don't use the banana leaves when doing in the crock. It is done when you can shred it with two forks. Add some of the juice back in, before serving. It may not be perfect, but I made it for a Rose Bowl viewing party,and no one had ever eaten it before but it had rave reviews. We made tacos using it. When you make it yourself, you can avoid the unknowns that show up in the local versions.

#16 Design Kim

Design Kim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

Mmmm...Sounds wonderful! I will have to try that. I do love trying new recipes. Thanks!

#17 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

LMAO - maybe we need a new thread in translations on the proper pronunciation of onion...

its not "say boy ass" - thats gringo for onion...

the proper pronumciation is "Seh Boh Yass"

MC
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#18 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

I actually made it last night. It's a quick version. In the longer version uses the sour orange juice and banana leaves and let it marinate over night. There is not that much difference in flavor but I really think the banana leaves add a lot.

In the quick version I take a pork butt or shoulder and put it in a roasting pan with about 4 cups of chicken bullion, one onion quarted, some garlic cloves, and about 1/3 of a brick of achiote. Put it in the oven for 3 1/2 to 4 hours at 350 degrees. Take the pork out and shred it with two forks and put it back in the pan with the juices. It comes out great.

Doing it the right way is even better but this works just fine. Serve on tortillas or on a torta roll with pickled purple onions and some haberno salsa. You can't go wrong.

#19 Design Kim

Design Kim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

That sounds good, Steve. Do you bring the achiote back from Coz or do you get it local? There are plenty of Supermercados around Chicago.

#20 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

I buy it here. I have 6 Mexican stores within a mile of me. It cost around $1.29 a brick. I can even buy it at the regular grocery store. I can actually buy more Mexican grocery products here than I can get in Mexico. Achiote is not really known in northern or central Mexico. It's a Yucatan item. It's made from the annetto seed and was also used for dying cloth. It has a unique flavor and you like it or you don't. It's also used on chicken, fish, and pork chops. Poc Chuk(sp) is basically the same a cochnita pibil but you use chops and don't shred them. Many of your chicken places on Cozumel will use the achiote as a rub or to bast the chickens with while they cook. That's what gives them their reddish color and flavor. Give it a try. 90% of the people I serve it to love it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users