spear fishing with Leo

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scubadiving, underwater photography. Landscape and people photography

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:01 PM

My wife and I and our granddaughter returned on the 20th of July from a two week trip to Akumal and Cozumel where we did ten days of diving. On one day we took a day off from diving and spent a half a day spearfishing with Leo. It was one of the best half days of my life. If any one is looking for a fun time spend a half day with leo. The man is a very soft spoken person who is an real advocate of the sport and is a consumate Gentleman.

It's not as easy as I thought it was the first reek we did was on the far north end of the island and was about 20 to 25 feet deep no problem free diving to that depth the problem is lingering on the bottom to see fish. The second reef was a little deeper and even harder to reach. the third reef of between 45 and 55 feet deep while I was never able to get that deep Leo could dive done and spend two to three minutes on the bottom I swear the man as gills. My granddaughter and I got off several shots but missed all of the. Leo was the only one to spear a nice 5lb muttom snapper which at the end of the trip he left us have and reccommened severalplaces that would cook it for us we chose a plate called Toro's which is on the malecon. We dropped the fish off and returned about an hour later after we took a shoer to ge tthe slat off. When we returned to the restaurant they grilled the fish with garlic and butter fresh veggies grilled chambray onions and rice and beans. What a feast. I slept like a baby that night I was so exhausted.

For those that are looking for something different to do while on Cozumel contact Leo and give it a try a Fantastic time.
Breath in Breath out move on

#2 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:56 PM

I've gone out more than my share of times with Leo. Your experiences mirror ours. We took our catch July 4th week to Casa de la Morena. We had the fish cooked for four people and a plate of ceviche for $260 pesos. Absolutely incredible food, prices and service. (True confessions....I missed two sure shots. The fish we ate was shot by Leo.)

The nice thing about the way he does it is that you don't have to be an experienced free-diver to shoot at fish. My limit is maybe 30-35'. I still get a thrill out of doing it.

For those that haven't done it, his website is: http://www.spearfishingtoday.com/

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#3 Leo - spearfishing

Leo - spearfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

Already written above..... But just to avoid misunderstandings as this is the "cozumel SCUBA" part... all spearfishing is being done in combination with snorkeling/freediving. The combination of spearfishing/scuba is NOT allowed on Cozumel) only fishermen of the cooperativa can do that). ;)
Leo
spearfishingtoday.com
"spear to live and live to spear"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users