7 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:05 PM

David and I took a drive up to the Northern Lighthouse today. The road is narrow and goes through dense jungle in areas.

Posted Image

Sometimes it can be rocky and semi-smooth.

Posted Image

Other time it an be very rocky.

Posted Image

Rocky enough to shake up and break many of my beers. It's also very hot and humid. I'll bet it is close to 120 degrees inside the vehicle.

Posted Image

I'm glad the four wheel drive worked or we would have gotten stuck in the sandy areas at least 6 times. About 2 1/2 hours into the drive the sidewall of the rear tire got punctured.

Posted Image

We searched for my jack but it was no where to be found. We had to do something or be stuck there at least overnight. We searched the beach for a long log to use as a lever, some shorter boards to use as a fulcrum, and flat rocks to support the vehicle once we got the tire raised off the ground. We raised the vehicle as high as we could but still had to dig under the tire a little. It took a while but we finally got the tire changed. We both probably sweated out at least 5 gallons of water each. Not wanting to press our luck any farther we decided to turn around and save the trip for another day. We arrived back where we started 6 hours later.

Posted Image

#2 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:24 PM

Way to go McGyver.....innovation!

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#3 Agnes62

Agnes62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:06 PM

Wow - sorry about the beer. Glad you are so ceative and made it back safely.

#4 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:20 PM

Well done. People can say over and over that the road is rough. The photo of the beers should convince them. A picture is worth . . . . . . .

#5 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:02 AM

Just proves that if the Egyptians could build pyramids, we ought to be able to figure out how to change a tire without the little jack that comes with the car. Those jacks suck anyways. Godd job Steve. Sorry about your beer. It looks like you could have used a couple

Sam

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:16 AM

My goodness Steve, that could have been a huge tragedy. All the beer could have broken!

Glad to hear you, and David's have great wilderness abilities. They sure came in handy this time.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

Whoa....I think I see the problem with the beer situation....Not enough ice.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#8 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:53 PM

I asked for you at Woody's.....

El Jefe