• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vacationgirl

vacationgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:48 AM

My husband and I are wanting to retire in cozumel we visit the island every year and have made a few friends how would I go about getting a nursing job in cozumel I understand that I would have to get a work visa but would like additional info I would also like to volunteer at the local red cross I speak both english and spanish

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:23 AM

You cannot work as a nurse in Mexico. I had two nurse friends from the US who periodically went back to the states and worked a few months or half time each year when they needed money to support the family.They were both US citizens married to Mexican nationals and they were still not allowed to work. Foreigners cannot work in the medical field here unless there was some special exemption because you had a skill that couldn't be filled by a Mexican national. Sorry. Only way you could work as a nurse here is to get dual citzenship and that takes a few years and requires you to live here for most of the time you are waiting to become qualified to apply.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:15 AM

Deb B asked me to post the following info regarding working as a nurse here (computer problems on her end).

"If the you do not need to work for income, there are opportunities here for bilingual & multilingual professionals to volunteer or to work for a pittance. The CMC hospital is best bet for a job, though I don't know how it handles work permits for the people it hires. You need to contact them directly.

The Red Cross welcomes medically-trained volunteers for several areas: Its permanent community outreach projects (the mobile testing facility & the center for diabetes at CR's campus), the Ironman hospital (one very long day/year), and assisting the rescue teams that aid tourists (On land: the EMT, Paramedic & Disaster Relief services and in the water: Lifeguards & Rescue Divers.) You are invited to take courses at the CR to become a more active participant on any of those teams. Additionally, the CR welcomes everyone -- as a professional or lay person -- to join its corps of volunteers who undertake all types of support projects for the institution.

Good luck and, when you're ready, we will embrace you as a new resident in Cozumel."

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

Your best bet is to sign up with one of the travel nursing companies. I am a Retired RN but traveled for years doing short assignments 4-13 weeks, strikes etc. They will pay your transportation from Mexico for your assignments, in fact the one time I flew from Cozumel on thier money, they said it was less expensive than my usual flights from Florida.

Good luck, and if you need information about some preferred companies, feel free to contact me.

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:10 PM

I think Carey, and Deb have some excellent ideas.

Wherever there are English speaking people, volunteer's are needed.

I was a patient in San Miguel Clinic, only the Doctors spoke English...the nursing staff had limited ability to communicate with me...YOU WOULD BE AN EXCELLENT ASSET, but as a volunteer.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

I am a Retired RN but traveled for years doing short assignments 4-13 weeks, strikes etc."

Surely you're not suggesting she take work as a 'scab', I believe it's called? People they bring in to keep the hospital running so the striking nurses lose clout in labor disputes. If this lady is in a union, I doubt that's an option she's going to want to consider.

Or maybe she could inquire if it was a strike and turn down that assignment without getting fired?

#7 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:53 PM

Surely you're not suggesting she take work as a 'scab', I believe it's called? People they bring in to keep the hospital running so the striking nurses lose clout in labor disputes. If this lady is in a union, I doubt that's an option she's going to want to consider.

Or maybe she could inquire if it was a strike and turn down that assignment without getting fired?

That was unjust and uncalled for remark. First of all you are not a nurse or in the Medical profession, so you have no idea what you are talking about!!! Yes I suggested TRAVEL..which can include a strike. How would you like to be the parent of a critically or even a dying child and know that every nurse who has been caring for your child is walking out on the job. I do not believe in Nursing Strikes...it is the patients, especially the elderly and the children and thier families who suffer.

I have been thanked by MANY parents for my part in making sure thier loved one was cared for while a "Gucci" RN earning mega bucks and outstanding benefits already (example, Palo Alto Ca Sanford University 2000") is out on the picket line trying to prevent me from providing that care. The Medical staff MDs etc thanked us for being able to come in and immediatly work with them, follow thier orders, and care for thier patients without "whining" about the job.

So before you degrade me or others, try getting some education on the subject.

And you do not get fired for refusing an assignment. When there is a Nursing Strike the company is quite clear about it. And why don't you let the lady make her own opinions about what she would consider. It was a suggestion only and it was TRAVEL, with an assortment of assignments, some of which are strikes.

By the way, did you know that a wound needs a "scab" before it can heal.

#8 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:15 PM

How is being a nurse unlike any other critical job? If you don't like your job, quit. People in critical positions should not be able to strike in the first place. Imagine what would happen if the fire department or police department had a strike. It is time that we did away with the mass unions and let people think for themselves.

#9 vacationgirl

vacationgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

I really enjoy this forum I feel like I am in cozumel thank you all for your advise and great info. I will be in touch I am looking forward to being a resident

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users