• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

Another snake on the patio, it looks like a Boa to me...husband claims it's a good snake and it's a Corn snake.

It is Red in color but with the same pattern as a Boa...

Does it live or take a quick trip off a short pier.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:24 PM

http://www.enature.c...rdNumber=AR0096

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

It says the following in regards to the Corn snake range.
"Subspecies Corn Snake (E. g. guttata), red, orange, or yellow with red, red-orange, or red-brown blotches; s. New Jersey through Florida to Louisiana"

Of course, it doesn't mean they aren't here.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

No, I read somewhere else that they were in Mexico also...but did it look like that picture? And it did say near vegitation and forrests...that would be where u are.

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:41 AM

This is a dead snake crawling unless somebody knows, for a fact that this is a harmless snake.

It is similar in appears, but not sure if the head is exactly the same shape.

I hate snakes!

Anonymous

#6 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:58 AM

I say make a safe mistake...DEAD snake!

#7 drjoe

drjoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:natural wellness/health ,the sea ,food , meeting interesting people

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

Without a picture I can't be certain, but if yours is in fact a corn snake then keeping it alive would be to your benefit. No threat to man, they don't tend to bite & they will help rid the area of small rodents . They are non venemous and not likely to be a threat to your cats & dogs. I is possible that some snake in this family inhabits Cozumel, but I would want to be certain before approaching it. I have had several corn snakes as pets in my childhood.It will most likely "move on " on its own no matter what you do.

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:13 PM

I contact Cindy who is the Administrative Director of CIEMA (CIEMA Wildlife Rescue Center) of Cozumel. Cindy is also my neighbor.

Cindy said she she did not think it was a Corn Snake, but it may be one of the the following. Good news, neither is venomous.

blunt-headed tree snake or a cat-eyed snake depending on the size.

Cat Eyed Snake, page 3 bottom picture -http://www.freesnake.com/cateyedsnake3.html

Blunt-Headed Tree Snake,http://www.1-costaricalink.com/costa_rica_fauna/blunt_headed_tree_snake.htm

Okay, so it gets to live another day, as long as it doesn't sneak up on me. It is after the tree frogs here, which we have PLENTY.

Anonymous

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:01 AM

Okay, this is CREEPY...in Por Esto newspaper (hate to quote the rag, but necessary for reference)they had an article about and ECO tour to Kantemo(which is near Valladolid.) The tour is about the caves of the hanging snakes :o :unsure:

Now if that isn't scary enough, the price is a real triller too...starts at $850USD's and goes up to $1,290 USD's depending on the size of the group... http://www.ecotravel...com/kantemo.php

I guess if you can't get rid of the Boa's, might as well make a tour out of it :blink:

Anonymous

#10 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:06 PM

Okay, this is CREEPY...in Por Esto newspaper (hate to quote the rag, but necessary for reference)they had an article about and ECO tour to Kantemo(which is near Valladolid.) The tour is about the caves of the hanging snakes :o :unsure:

Now if that isn't scary enough, the price is a real triller too...starts at $850USD's and goes up to $1,290 USD's depending on the size of the group... http://www.ecotravel...com/kantemo.php

I guess if you can't get rid of the Boa's, might as well make a tour out of it :blink:

Paula, I read about these tours several years ago, at that time a friend from a tv station in Cancun had just done the tour with his family, at the that time the snakes were identified as "Elaphe flavirufa(Cental American Ratsnake)" see link below. Marking do resemble that of young boas!

Cave of the hanging snakes: http://zonamaya.qroo...Zona.php?id_=55

To answer your question: Yes, we do have Corn Snakes! From Wikipedia The Corn Snake (Pantherophis guttatus), or Red Rat Snake, is a North American species of Rat Snake that subdues its small prey by constriction.[1] The name "Corn Snake" is a holdover from the days when southern farmers stored harvested ears of corn in a wood frame or log building called a crib. Rats and mice came to the corn crib to feed on the corn, and Corn Snakes came to feed on the rodents.[2] The Oxford English Dictionary cites this usage as far back as 1676.

Forgot to mention, the tour is an overnight AI tour from Cancun......!

#11 jsmflake

jsmflake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel
    Travel
    Gardening
    Reading

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:19 PM

Paula, I read about these tours several years ago, at that time a friend from a tv station in Cancun had just done the tour with his family, at the that time the snakes were identified as "Elaphe flavirufa(Cental American Ratsnake)" see link below. Marking do resemble that of young boas!

Cave of the hanging snakes: http://zonamaya.qroo...Zona.php?id_=55

To answer your question: Yes, we do have Corn Snakes! From Wikipedia The Corn Snake (Pantherophis guttatus), or Red Rat Snake, is a North American species of Rat Snake that subdues its small prey by constriction.[1] The name "Corn Snake" is a holdover from the days when southern farmers stored harvested ears of corn in a wood frame or log building called a crib. Rats and mice came to the corn crib to feed on the corn, and Corn Snakes came to feed on the rodents.[2] The Oxford English Dictionary cites this usage as far back as 1676.

Forgot to mention, the tour is an overnight AI tour from Cancun......!

#12 jsmflake

jsmflake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel
    Travel
    Gardening
    Reading

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:31 PM

I love reading this website about all the exciting experiential tours that are available in Mexico. It is wonderful that people can learn about the history, culture, and environment of Mexico through all the tours that are readily available, and I always think they would be so cool to do.I have wanted to do the "whale shark tour" for a while, but the last few reports I have read talked about how much endurance and strength the swimmer needs to keep up with the whale sharks, so I think I have to rule that one out now. Too old and out of shape!

BUT, this "Hanging Snake Tour" is one that I would never even consider taking. I am sitting here with slight tremors and tears in my eyes just thinking about it! Praying I don't have a "nightmare" about it tonight!

#13 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:43 AM

I love reading this website about all the exciting experiential tours that are available in Mexico. It is wonderful that people can learn about the history, culture, and environment of Mexico through all the tours that are readily available, and I always think they would be so cool to do.I have wanted to do the "whale shark tour" for a while, but the last few reports I have read talked about how much endurance and strength the swimmer needs to keep up with the whale sharks, so I think I have to rule that one out now. Too old and out of shape!

BUT, this "Hanging Snake Tour" is one that I would never even consider taking. I am sitting here with slight tremors and tears in my eyes just thinking about it! Praying I don't have a "nightmare" about it tonight!

Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#14 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:44 AM

You don;t have to get into the water to see the whale sharks as they are very close to the surface and you can see them from the side of the boat....please consider coming and seeing these amazing creatures, gentle giants of the ocean, they are truly a sight to see. Put it on your bucket list to do!!
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#15 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:06 AM

Not all whale sharks will go fast, many linger for quite awhile. Believe me, you get plenty of "face time" with them. It is such a wonderful experience, there are dozens of sharks, and you get multiple trips in the water. Just do it, you will have a blast!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users