• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 saltybreezer

saltybreezer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:32 PM

Buenos dias!! Hello, planning a trip in January of 2012 is that outside the spring breakers time, trying to miss it!! Muchos gracious!!

#2 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:53 PM

Any Spring break I have ever heard of or been associated with was either in March or April. Don't think January is even remotely close to any school's Spring Break - you should be safe.

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:04 AM

That's correct. Spring break March and April only. I would also add that we don't get the breaker crowds here on Cozumel. There might be a few more kids but I've never noticed any impact remotely like what you may have seen on tv in regard to spring break in Cancun. Playa del Carmen I don't know. I would think it would be a good spring break town with so many bars staying open until the wee hours. But Cancun is def spring break central Mexico.

Semi-quiet little Cozumel generally gets over-looked and underbooked by the breakers.

#4 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:38 PM

For several years, I came to Cozumel the last week in March every year. I haven't done that for the last 5 years, so I can't speak to recent history, but if the past is any indication, as long as you stayed away from Carlos 'N Charlies (which DID get much more wild & rowdy at night during March), you weren't likely to see much in the way of Spring Break debauchery on Cozumel. It just did not get the Spring Break crowds that Cancun and Playa Del Carmen got. And, though I visited Playa Del Carmen many times during those March trips, I rarely stayed overnight there, so I couldn't tell you if it got the wild late nite parties that Cancun is famous for. The best indicator I got of Spring Break crowds in Playa Del Carmen was the huge leap in the population of topless (and, in many cases, nearly bottomless - who thinks a shoe string is a reasonable substitute for a swimsuit bottom?) College-Aged Girls tanning on the beaches during the day - and I would NEVER complain that that was a bad thing.

#5 saltybreezer

saltybreezer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:25 PM

Thanks EZ, didn't think so but checking. Have a wonderful day!

#6 saltybreezer

saltybreezer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

Really love these sites, so very helpful!! Thanks also Carey and DJ diver Dan. Hope to start my love of Coz in jan!! Beautiful day to all!!

#7 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

February 20-24, 2012 -- 251,000 students (Universite du Quebec, University of Toronto, University of Waterloo)

February 27 - March 2, 2012 -- 263,000 students (Georgia State University, U of Michigan at Ann Arbor, U of Ottawa, Universite de Montreal)

March 5-9, 2012 -- 1,214,900 students (Ball State, Central Michigan U, Florida State University, Michigan State U, Penn State [Pennsylvania State University], U of Central Florida, U of Florida, U of NC at Chapel Hill, Université de Montréal, Gonzaga, U of Central Florida, MSU [Michigan], U of Virginia, U of Wyoming)

March 12-16, 2012 -- 1,112,500 students (U of Arizona, Colorado State U [CSU Fort Collins], Gonzaga, Harvard, ISU [Illinois State], Indiana State at Bloomington, Iowa State U, Montana State U [Bozeman], New York University, Ohio State University, Purdue, Texas A&M, Tulane, U of Alabama, U of Georgia, U of Houston, U of Idaho, U of Iowa, U of Kentucky, U of New Mexico, U of North Dakota, U of Rhode Island, U of South Carolina, U of Texas, Utah State, Washington State, U of Waterloo)

March 19-23, 2012 -- 1,321,000 students (ASU [Arizona State U], Arkansas State, Clemson, Kansas State U, Kent State, Oklahoma State, Princeton, Purdue, Rutgers, U of Arkansas, U of Cincinnati, U of Hawaii, U of Maryland, U of Massachusetts, U of Oklahoma, U of St. Thomas [Virgin Islands], U of Tennessee, Wellesley, U of Wisconsin Milwaukee, Wichita State)

March 26-30, 2012 -- 500,002 students (CSU Pueblo, University of Colorado [UC Boulder], Idaho State University, OSU [Oregon State University], San Diego State, UC Berkely [California], U of Delaware, U of Missouri-Columbia, U of Oregon, West Virginia University)

April 2-6, 2012 -- 100,000 students (Augusta State, U of Wisconsin, Binghamton)
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

And they ALL go to either Cancun or Playa with the vast majority going to Cancun. Playa is more for the EuroTrash. Spring break continues to have no impact on Cozumel as far as I've ever been able to tell. It is a non issue here.

#9 diverN2H2O

diverN2H2O

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

Punta Cana Dominican Republic has become a major player in the spring break action.[and winter travlers]
We were there in July '11 and January '12 and were told to never go in March or April by staff at the resorts.
With 96 AI's and over 150K rooms they are really going after that market. I've been told they are at 100% occupancy January thru the end of April. I met so many people there that said they "used" to go to Mexico.
I can now say been there done that and will be back to Cozumel this summer.

#10 alma

alma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

I do know that many students are taking cruises on spring break so they may be coming to Coz by cruise ship.

#11 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

Shouldn't be an issue, they're gone by nightfall :)
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#12 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:12 AM

I WAS GOING TO SAY THAT ABOUT THE CRUISE SHIPS ON sPRING bREAK. fROG'S AND cHARLIES GETS THE sPRING bREAK CROWD FROM THE cRUISE SHIPS, THEY PRETTY MUCH STAY PUT IN THE BARS FOR THE DAY. i KNOW gEORGIS sTATE uNIVERSITY IS ON BREAK *sorry caps locked) next week, the last week of Feb and there is a student trip scheduled on a Carnaval ship. My Daughter is a senior there.

#13 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

When I was in Galveston, Spring Break ran from February through April. The emergency room catered to the students who were too poor to fly anywhere so just drove down to get liquored up.

Now I'm in New Hampshire, which has New England's infamous "February vacation" the last week of February. Most K-12 schools have vacation the last week of February, apparently to keep the axe murder rate down. There's also a spring break two months later in April. February vacation is mostly a family thing, so the primary problem that affects Cozumel (and it's a biggie) is that airfares to anywhere warm from Logan or Manchester double that week.

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

Cozumel has few spring breakers...if we do, they are coming in on the ships.

They are parting hardy in Cancun, where airfares aren't that big of an issue.

Airfares have effected some travel plans that's for sure, not only Cozumel.

If you don't mind the bag drag from Cancun, savings can be had.

The hotels are filled, and business is moving a long. Just like always.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#15 Pirata Canadiense

Pirata Canadiense

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:34 AM

Just in case others are still checking out this post;  Personally, after our trip (March 2013) we swore we'd never go during any 'Spring Break' time again.  I'm not expecting any issues with living there but when staying on a resort, it was another matter.  Our first week was fine - then the students arrived :blink:   They were LOUD (aaallllllll the time), sometimes rude (being half-in-the-bag was probably part of it) and good luck getting anywhere near the hot tub or hammocks with them around... What resort you stay at may make a difference - but for us, it certainly made the last part of that trip unpleasant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users