the count down begins

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scubadiving, underwater photography. Landscape and people photography

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:15 PM

Well the count down to moving to Cozumel to live has officially began.

Now some questions for the ex-pats

I know somewhere someone listed Marco's emial address and contact information but can't for the life of me find it.

Now as far moving household goods down with the exception of drugs and guns which I have no plans on bringing, are there househild items that could attract undue attention from the Mexican custom officials at the border. I think at this point we have narrowed items to couch love seat chairs and such like lamps and other items such as dining room table and chairs.

Kitcken goods Microwave good quality cutlery, food processors blenders a small wine electric wine cooler.

Bebrooms no beds we'll buy them there, Good quality sheets and bedding towels etc.

Good quality patio furntiture.

and a good quality generator

and of course our car.
Breath in Breath out move on

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:31 PM

Contact info for Marcos is:

Marcos Mohoric
E-mail Address(es):marcosmohoric@hotmail.com

Marcos is pretty much a one man band, and a wonderful person, trustworthy guy.

With that said, it will help to have flexible delivery dates. I think realistic within two/three week of anticipated delivery, and actual delivery.

He will be in contact during his travels (if he gets Internet connections, he has a Blackberry)so it's not like he has fallen off the face of the earth.

When I moved down, I used Marcos to do the move (somebody had to be first). I then posted on CMC, everything I could possibly think of that would help the next person on what to do, and expect, and where I screwed up.

If your interested you can wade through my post at the following location:http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/dc/index.php?showtopic=32&st=0&p=95&hl=Marcos&fromsearch=1&#entry95

When you talk to Marcos, tell him Paula says Hola, and I am sure the rest of the folks he has moved down.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

Marcos did my move for me as well, and he is everything Paula said and more. I can't recommend him highly enough. He's great!

As for what the customs people look for... ELECTRONICS and anything new. Clearly mark boxes with electronics in them and have receipts for anything new. A general inventory was sufficient in December. I just made a list with the box # and general contents (e.g., kitchen appliances); I did not list every single item in the box. Marcos had no problems and everything arrived safe and sound.

Good luck with your move.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#4 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:16 PM

Bring lots of lamps and lamp shades - can't get normal here. Wall mirrors? calendar? plastic shoe boxes? thick towels? Monkey tape? rust remover? Pillows? Pillow covers - the kind that go under the pillow case; mattress cover? 3 prong adaptors? Snow shovel? Oh, I forgot, you won't need that! Good luck on your trip down!
"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

#5 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:30 PM

Ok I'll bite - what is Monkey tape???? I can only imagine (it's not pretty) :rolleyes:

I love threads like this because in my mind I will need this info someday ....

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:56 AM

Geez, haven't you ever had a broken Monkey?

I have NO idea what Monkey Tape is either.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:19 AM

Add to your list: computers, computer monitors and other equipment, laptops, stereo and speaker systems, flat screen tv if you want one. Items like that cost way more here. I just saw a 'sale' at Mega on a 10.1" Acer netbook for $3500 pesos. Which is the same price my husband paid on amazon for a 17.5" screen acer with all the bells and whistles. Oh, uninterrupted power supplies and battery backups. cordless telephones.

If you like hard mattresses, you'll be fine down here. I am the princess and the pea and have yet to find one that has both firm enough support plus plenty of soft padding on top to suit my needs. Right now I'm making due with eggcrate foam which can often but not always be purchased locally and an old 2" king memory foam mattress pad I brought down from the states.

If you are a picky sleeper in that way, I would suggest that you either bring along a good quality 2" memory foam pad for whatever mattress you pick up. Or consider bringing one of those fancy air mattresses where one side can be blown up more than the others. I have a Select Comfort from the old days in our mountain cabin which I would dearly love to get down here but it's too big to bring on the plane. If I was driving, I'd bring something like that in a heartbeat even if it meant I had to leave some of my other furniture behind to make room for it. There are no distributors for the high end permanent use air mattresses in Mexico. One company sells water beds which is an interesting possibility but it would have to be mail ordered and if there were problems, it would be laborious getting redress so I don't think I would go down that road on a large item.

Oh -- bring ceiling fans -- good quality ones with 52" spans and either wood or plastic -- NO metal -- blades. I would suggest Hunters but I'm sure there are other brands. It is difficult to get good quality ceiling fans even from the Home Depot in Cancun without paying more than twice what you'd pay for the same in the states. IF you even had the choice -- a big if down here.

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:36 AM

Why type of ceiling lighting do you have? You won't find what you need here.

I was lucky when I found my kitchen chandlers, but they are no longer available on the island.

Also, bring extra globes, believe it or not, we can NOT find a glass globe for a bathroom light that broke.

On some items, I would buy one back-up to scavenge pieces from when it breaks.

Anonymous

#9 Shawn01

Shawn01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

When it comes to moving your belongings, I'd definitely recommend thinking twice before using Marcos Mohoric.

My wife & I were introduced to Marcos through our downstairs neighbor Jean who had used Marcos for her move, and she was generally pleased with the experience. Her move was delayed a bit but as others have mentioned here you've got to be flexible with Marcos' schedule. Marcos comes across as a nice guy, very trustworthy, speaks English very well, so when it came time to move back to the States, I went with Marcos for our move.

Having said that...my wife and I are still waiting for our furniture and belongings. :(

It's been - wait for it - a year and a half and still no sign of it. Just the occasional email promising "delivery soon".

Thought you should know,
Shawn

#10 teacher

teacher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:teaching,reading, cooking, movies, photography, marine biology

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

I hear you, Shawn. 4 years and counting we have been waiting for the rest of our stuff. Of course, he has been paid in full.
Thanks!

#11 Pilot

Pilot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

I'm glad I found this thread:

I too have been absolutely robbed by Marcos Mohoric. I am currently reviewing my email exchanges with him, and they read like a nightmare. Constant lies, false dates, promises, etc.

Run, do not walk, away from this thief.

He picked up my furniture 3 weeks after he was due to arrive (in PA), making the logistics of being there impossible...I live in Cozumel but flew to PA to coordinate the moving with his stated arrival. Transmission problems, flat tires, etc... as mentioned, he arrived 3 weeks late.

He eventually delivered some of my items, but not all, 5 weeks after the promised arrival date. Communication throughout the constant waiting and worrying was sparse at best, and when he did communicate, it was a false date. At least 10 different times.

Marcos Mohoric STILL has personal items of mine, supposedly in his bodega in Guanajuato. He has been promising to deliver these things for months.

I have his address Stateside. I am going to begin proceedings against him tomorrow, starting with a polite (pleading) call to the police in Laredo Texas, then issuing a demanda with authorities in Guanajuato.

This guy simply should not be permitted to cross into the USA, take people's personal possessions, then fence them in Mexico. But that is what he's apparently doing.

Shawn, feel free to call me in Cozumel at 987 119 7951. Maybe we can do some form of dual procedure against this thief.... sorry for your troubles, my stuff has been missing for 4 months; I cannot imagine how you're feeling after 2 years.

Full name: Marcos Javier Mohoric Salgado / San Miguel Allende / Guanajuato / company link http://www.movingtoc...om/about-us.php

THIEF

Sincerely,
Pilot

#12 on.the.gulf

on.the.gulf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

Sounds like an echo in here... so I'll add another (-1) ding on Marco... and though the original thread was from 2011-- I found this thread by google search for his full name-- so possibly someone else will too.

We moved to (back) to the states in August 2012 from San Miguel.  We had a couple quotes and Marco came recommended by a neighbor of his.  At first, his quote was lower than another we had received, however when he arrived at the house for our move, the 'Oh, you have another floor on the house, we didn't quote that' - instantly that took his quote on par with another we had received... but we were at the eleventh hour and had to get the move done.  In addition, I was NOT impressed by a super old used church van pulling a double axle trailer as being a 'moving' van-- his competition had quoted for a true moving truck.  He said he could work within our allocated budget as long as we were a little flexible as he would bring our possessions to Florida over a couple loads as he had other loads coming FROM Florida-- to quote, "It shouldn't be long, and if by December I haven't made a trip, I will make a special trip." - this wasn't ideal - but would work based on our plans at the time.  We called on the months leading up to December and were met with angry replies along the lines of 'I told you it would be a few months.' - Cut to the chase- rinse and repeat of excuses, excuses.  Finally, after we threatened legal action, we were put in contact with the location where our items were being stored in Laredo.  Note he had told us he was going to store our things in 'HIS' facility in Laredo-- it is not his facility.  Now it is July 5, 2013-- Our stuff arrived today-- on our dollar, by a 3rd party carrier that we arranged with the facility in Laredo-- which was a decent facility to work with-- but not an ideal place for household items to be left for 9 months (so dusty/filthy.)  This facility in which he was storing the items in Laredo, which I'll reiterate is NOT his... wanted initially to charge us for the storage-- which was never part of the agreement nor mentioned nor would have happened if he had come even close to his date.  They did end up working quite well in assisting us at least in the final leg of the trip.  11 months to the date from when we crossed back into the states.  In addition, due the extraordinary amount of time our items were in storage-- many items were broken - possibly un-boxed at border inspection, which wasn't his doing necessarily-- but he was the charge of transporting the items.  He told us before we left he would re-box some of the items as they needed to be packed better-- looked the opposite when the items arrived today.  Fragile boxes that look like they've been dropped down a flight of stairs.  I'm not looking forward to un-boxing.    

Don't believe any date this guy says.  After reading some of the above comments, I guess we're lucky to see any of our things.  Tomorrow we'll take a better inventory as unloading the truck into local storage was rushed and rain was not making it easier.  He's spread too thin, or just full of cr*p... and really has no business in international logistics.  None.   I wish I had found this thread before we used him.

-C / Former SMA resident

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users