18 replies to this topic

#1 firsttimecruiser

firsttimecruiser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

Hello all,

I am going to Cozumel for one day on a Carnival cruise on August 27th. I am professional chef and I am looking forward to exposing my family to new cuisines in Cozumel....However, my brother is a very picky eater (pretty much meat, cheese, and bread)-- Is there anywhere that we can get Yucatecan and he can maybe just get like carne asada plain or something...? I speak a fair amount of Spanish, so I'm sure I can navigate.....

I'm also wondering if anyone knows about where the Carnival ships dock in Cozumel....I'd like to plan a day using all the tips on this site, but I'll need to know where I am starting from....

Is there somewhere I can print a map?

Thanks....:)

~Melissa

#2 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:58 PM

Oh too bad. IMO some of the best restaurants a chef would like to visit are only open at night. You can find out where you dock by googling a cruise website. Also google Cozumel maps. Have a fun day on the island.

#3 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:58 AM

Carnival typically docks at Puerta Maya, which is the dock farthest south. Plenty of taxis are on hand, though, to take you wherever you want to go.

Most restaurants I've been to will prepare whatever you want, so that your brother could order whatever meat he'd like. I agree that many of the best places are only open at night. The one place I can think of that is open breakfast through dinner is La Cocay on Calle 8 between Avenida 10 and 15. Another would be Casa Mission at the corner of Benito Juarez (the cross-island, transversal road that starts behind the downtown plaza) and about Avenida 50 or 55.

Enjoy your day on the island and come back when you can stay for a few days!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#4 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:41 AM

I love Casa Mission - as much for the ambiance at night (if you sit out in the Garden) as for the food. I've never gone there for Lunch. Unless I'm mistaken (which I certainly could be), isn't located at Ave. 65? and maybe a block or 2 south of the Transversal? I usually just tell the Taxi Driver "Casa Mission", then think about other things until he drops me off. For lunch, why not try Sabores, on Ave. 5 (one block back from Rafael Melgar, the main drag on the seafront), between Calle 3 & Calle 5? I think even a picky eater could find something there to love, & maybe learn a bit about Yucetan food.

#5 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:47 AM

Here is a very basic map of Cozumel. http://www.maps-of-m...exico_map.shtml The Pier where Carnival docks is at the far south end of Sam Miguel - that little knob that pokes out about halfway between what is marked as San Miguel and Chankanaab Park.

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:55 AM

If you are still here at 5:30 pm, Kondesa will be open.

Take a look at their menu, I think you will find your brothers some happiness.

http://www.kondesarestaurant.com/

Also, a new favorite of mine is Danube Restaurant. http://danubecoz.com/en/index.php

They are directly across the road from the cruise ship pier.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:43 AM

I also vote for Sabores....and Blue Angel restaurant. BA is right on the beach w/ very pretty views. Get the shrimp stuffed avocado appetizer w/ henny dressing.

#8 firsttimecruiser

firsttimecruiser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:08 AM

Thank you all so much! I'll have to come back to try Danube for sure, unfortunately we are only in Cozumel from 9:00 am to 5:00 p.m. Now that I have figured out where we will be and where we can eat (the most important part IMO)-- I can start to pack!

#9 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:01 PM

Count me as another vote for Sabores.

If you are going to head for the beach instead of town, Alberto's Beach Bar has great seafood. (West side)
Chen Rio (East side) has good food and a great seafood platter.

You won't find any locals at Wet Wendy's (off the Square), but the food and drinks are good. Your brother should find something to like there.

Here's a map of San Miguel that covers most of the town...
http://www.seamonkey...cozumel_map.jpg

Have a great time.

#10 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:46 PM

beachbum53, I'm not sure what you mean when you say there are no locals at Wet Wendy's. I'm a local and go there fairly often. Do you mean that you will find tourists and expats, but no native islanders? That may be true, I don't know. You're absolutely right about the food, though - it's really good!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#11 firsttimecruiser

firsttimecruiser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:27 AM

Where is the nearest currency exchange to the pier?

Is there one within walking distance? (since we will need cash to take a cab)

#12 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:13 AM

You can use US$ for any cabs, restaurants, shopping etc on the island. widely accepted here.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#13 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:15 AM

Make sure you have smaller bills...$5.00, $10 AND $20 AND SOME $1.00 BILLS are helpful...larger bills such as $50 and $100 create problems with change.? lway ask the cab driver what the rate is for the place you want to go before getting into the cab...They are mostly honest and polite!
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#14 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:23 PM

Kandy, yes I meant no native islanders (no offense to tourists and ex-pats intended). My family loves Wet Wendy's, but if someone is looking for a place with "local" flavor, I'd direct them to some place like Sabores instead.

The Sonora grill isn't bad either and Casa Denis serves good authentic Yucatan food at lunchtime as well.

#15 tandemcruzr

tandemcruzr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:24 PM

If you are at the Puerta Maya pier, you can leave the terminal, head past the taxis to the main street and turn left and walk about a half to one block. Across the street is what looked like a convenience store this past January. Outside, to the right of this bulding was a stand-alone ATM. Be careful crossing the street.

#16 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:20 AM

Does anyone know if the blue taco truck is still selling tacos and tortas near the Puerta Maya pier? It would be a great place for firsttimecruiser to grab a snack before heading into town.

#17 firsttimecruiser

firsttimecruiser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:15 PM

I leave tomorrow and I get to be in Cozumel on Saturday!! Hopefully it won't rain! Thanks to everyone for your help.

#18 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:18 PM

However, my brother is a very picky eater (pretty much meat, cheese, and bread)-- Is there anywhere that we can get Yucatecan and he can maybe just get like carne asada plain or something...? I speak a fair amount of Spanish, so I'm sure I can navigate.....

Rebecca, is that you? Why are you going by the name Melissa now? Hahaha

(Sorry, it sounds like my sister talking about me!) :D
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#19 Guest_kumkum01_*

Guest_kumkum01_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:18 PM

Hi guys........Also, a new favorite of mine is Danube Restaurant. http://danubecoz.com/en/index.php

They are directly across the road from the cruise ship pier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users