• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kathy_paamul

kathy_paamul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:02 PM

we just spent a lovely weekend on the island (long weekend) and dayum, but it was a let down coming home. There seemed to be fewer bugs over there in San Miguel (we live against the jungle but on the beach also over here) and we swear it was less humid across the channel. Crazy, I know. :) The swimming is So Much Better, the roads are less crowded (our "road" is MX307) and the scenery on the east side of the island is To Die For. DH is ready to move across the channel immediately. You guys seem to have a more athletic population and he swears the chorizo tastes better. :) We're renting over here and sorely tempted (though the kids would miss their schools). It was a GOOD weekend. :)

We'll be back next Sept, Oct and of course, the big month of November (irwanman). :)

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:04 AM

Interesting perspective, Kathy. Thanks for sharing that. I'm thinking maybe the mosquitos were as noticeable over here because of the direction of the wind while you were here. Who knows. We periodically have pretty bad problems with mouskas on the west facing side. Not much on the wild side as the wind tends to be pretty intense.

#3 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:13 AM

I wasn't thinking and went to caleta for a night dive the other week without repellent. We had to wait a few on the rest of the group. After about 30 seconds sitting on the boat they descended. I had to strap my nephew down after they started to carry him off to their lair. It was the only time I have ever wanted a full wet suit. I thought for sure I was going to dengue fever. Chance are what? One in a million? Well there we about 1.5 million around each of us. They must have carried off a quart of blood from each of us. After a few minutes, I gave up and was heading for the car to hide out until the other people arrived, hoping maybe they wouldn't carry the car off. Of course as soon as we got off the boat, they arrived. All I managed to do was get the car keys our of the bag and put them in my pocket for the dive. If it is any help to anyone, the Hyundai remotes are NOT waterproof to 30 feet.

It was worse than our introduction to the mossies on the east side. On our first trip to Coz we were stopped on a rocky part of the beach while the missus and the other guy climbed down looking for shells and cr*p. The other girl and I were standing by the car. I guess we were silhouetted by the setting sun and they saw us first. Screaming like little girls we ran for the car. Then the car was rocking while we killed the ones that made it in. The two down below couldn't figure out why we were yelling for them to come back. Then the mossies found them on the radar.... Lemme just say that could have be a rock climbing record.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:16 AM

Funny! Where I live in town there have been a few occasions over the years when you had to run down our outside pasillo, get inside and slam the door behind you to escape the skeeters. Mostly though, its not terribly bad. Unless there was a lot of rain about 10 days before and things didn't dry up again particularly afterwards.

The skeets love to lurk in the mangrove areas and I expect that's where the ones that get you on the beach when the wind isn't blowing right are mostly coming from.

The dengue fever is carried by aegis egyptis. They are very small and they like to lurk, particularly liking low corners such as under a desk or bed or wet towell in your house. They can't stand up to any kind of wind.

The risk of contracting dengue are not miniscule in the tropics. We generally have about 8 cases every fall when its wettest. My husband, AJ, has had it once and I also have I believe five long-timer friends who have had it. So pay attention at dawn and dusk in highly populated areas and close up the screens on your house at those times.

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:28 AM

Well, I know if I am eating in the garden like at Kinta spray the legs at least at dusk/night. Never too bad. I treat the East Side like the 'bad' side of town, be out before dusk! I totally wasnt thinking about caleta and sitting on the boat a bit before taking off. I am not sure, but I think I heard the one mossie when I got to caleta shouting "Porky Pasilla" and pointing at me.....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#6 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:38 PM

LOL cvchief! Love some of that Porky Pasilla! I think they're also fond of the Arroz Negro!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#7 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:04 PM

I stayed with a friend who was house-sitting last year - nice garden and pool in the back... until about 5pm. Then we were smacking and dancing and spraying and running inside. The ultimate for me was getting bit on my forehead while I was almost submerged in the pool... That is precision!

Autan bug spray found at most farmacias is pretty good. Comes in a creme/lotion too. My friend said they allow it in Europe whereas DEET is not.

Haha on the Porky Pasilla ref.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#8 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:32 PM

When we flew to Holbox for the whale shark tour several years ago, we landed and were accosted by clouds of the tiny things. Horrid! I had a little can of Deep Woods Off in my bag that I had totally forgotten about. We practically tackled each other for it.

#9 kathy_paamul

kathy_paamul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:20 PM

This was good (funny) to read. Yeah, we definitely had more mozzies here at home than San Miguel (we stayed at a house on 10th entre 35 y 40th but once dusk begins here we head inside (hard as the kitchen, comedor and sala are outside) and hope we got all we needed for the night. AND we have mozzy curtains over the beds. :)

#10 Olivio

Olivio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:143040

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

new to the posting game.... I'm from Oklahoma. Its been 35 degrees or cooler every day these past 3 weeks, so any warmer temps would be welcome. Only 4 more days until we get there, so i can hardly wait
Lo bueno de los anos es que curan heridas, lo malo de los besos es que crean adiccion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users