20 replies to this topic

#1 tandemcruzr

tandemcruzr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:50 PM

Hi all --

We have 3 cruise visits to Cozumel in Nov (1) and Jan (2) and are looking for some recommendations.

(Background - we have been to Coz before on both land and cruise vacations. We have been to Playa del Carmen and Tulum. We have been to Chankanaab, Discover Mexico, Punta Sur, the East Side, much walking about town.)

We are now looking for some info on the following 3 possibilities: Cooking Tour at Mr Sanchos offered by Cozumel Watersports; Palmar Estates Beach Club; and Playa Uvas.

Any insights/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:13 PM

I hear josifina's cooking class is the best, but someone else needs to jump in and tell you about it. Carey?

#3 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

Yes, Josephina does a great job - takes the guests shopping and then teaches them how to make it. Lots of fun!
"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

#4 tandemcruzr

tandemcruzr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for the info on Josephina. I looked at that and it doesn't seem to fit our time schedule.

Any more input?

#5 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:58 PM

Heresay about Uva's- not good snorkeling, food o.k., sometimes very crowded w/ cruise folk. Have you looked at their website?
What attracts you about Palmar? Just curious. When I drive by there, it does not attract me to stop.

#6 tandemcruzr

tandemcruzr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

There was an article on the Cozumel my Cozumel web site that seemed to indicate a low traffic, laid back beach day. We don't want an AI. And yes, we have looked at the Uvas we site.

Having said that, the cooking at Mr Sanchos is $38 per person and includes the cooking, eating what you cook, drinks and access to the beach club proper. As we read it, attendance is controlled.

#7 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:59 PM

We like Corona Beach. Small, laid back, not fancy. Will you be snorkeling?

#8 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:44 PM

I will second Corona. I like that little place and snorkeling there. Lots of little micro stuff to look at. I spent time in like 2 feet of water looking at cool stuff in the rocks.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#9 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

We saw seahorses there.

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

DARN IT! Seahorses? REALLY? Now you just can't say that and not give us an idea where! I'm just saying......

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#11 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:59 PM

At Corona Beach...in the grass.

#12 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:54 PM

There's another cooking (and dancing) excursion that's getting excellent reviews from people here & that may fit your schedule. Link salsaandsalsa.com

#13 tandemcruzr

tandemcruzr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

Snorkeling is a maybe. (Wear contacts. Not sure if that will work out.) Will look into Corona Beach.

Have sent an inquiry to Salsa & Salsa.

Thanks for the advice.

#14 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:19 PM

Snorkeling is a maybe???? Contacts would be fine. People do it all the time. You CANT miss looking underwater while you are there! Jacques-Yves Cousteau says it is not to be missed. And seriously if you happen to get some water in your mask at Corona, alot of time you can just stand up. Better yet, buy an inexpensive mask that fits you. You could even get cheap lens in it if you really think you need to do that, but DONT miss the underwater, seriously.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#15 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:21 PM

Definitely get your face in the water. The undersea world is what Cozumel is all about. When you stand up please be careful not to damage any coral or sea fans etc. Be sure to wear water shoes. Get 'em cheap at walmart.

#16 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:37 PM

Husband wears contacts for snorkeling, and glasses for everything else. Otherwise he's blind as a bat. I use a prescription lens mask. You would be crazy to not snorkel here, it's beautiful. Money Bar is nice too. No need to stand up anywhere, really, unless it's just where you are getting in.

If you are in need of snorkeling lessons, both clubs have folks who could help you, and you can rent equipment, along with life vests. Many folks have never snorkeled before, and the clubs are willing to help.

If you are unsure of the territory, just ask anyone who looks like they know what they're doing. The waiters can help you out too.

Pecosgirl, I am so in search of your seahorses!

#17 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:25 AM

I wear contacts to dive and snorkel and when you mask is fitted securely they will be fine. I have never lost a contact yet in over 6 years of diving! Make sure you have an extra pair of disposables with you (just in case)!! Enjoy the beautiful water here in Cozumel...You will be hooked forever!
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#18 tandemcruzr

tandemcruzr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for the encouragement and advice about using contacts. I don't wear disposables, but gas perm semi rigid. Would that make a difference in your advice? I'd hate to lose one and have to rely on my glasses. ;-)

#19 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:36 AM

I use disposables and also soft gas perm ones...I have never lost one yet! but always have spares in my beach bag or dive bag just in case....Keep them moist as they tend to dry out in the heat here. I am far sighted with astigmatisms on both eyes, so need to see things up close...I can trip over a pencil at times...LOL
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#20 tandemcruzr

tandemcruzr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

There's another cooking (and dancing) excursion that's getting excellent reviews from people here & that may fit your schedule. Link salsaandsalsa.com

That looked good. We sent them an e-mail for more details.

Turns out they are in the process of becoming a cruise ship excursion and can't book with us directly. Thanks though for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users