"Long Term" Tank Rentals?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

I like to do a little exploring in front of the condo from time to time. Most of these little dives are impromptu type things and very shallow. I've rented and borrowed tanks from various dive ops, but that always means I need to return them at the end of my stay. I'm on the island 5-6 times a year and I would prefer to simply keep the partially used tank in my place until I return.

Are there any places where I can "purchase" a tank and then swap it out with them when I use up the air? I'm not really interested in dropping my own tank off and waiting for it to be filled. I'd just rather pay a few bucks and swap it out with a fresh tank.

Any ideas anyone?

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#2 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:02 AM

I would check with Scuba Repair

#3 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:51 PM

Thanks Pat. Checked with them last week. No luck.

Does every dive op own their own tanks?

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#4 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:51 AM

You could go to Meridiano or Lin Mar and see if they will let you set up an account. They may or may not. If they do you might need to make a deposit with a credit card for the value of the tanks (Meridiano for sure). Both companies expect to have the tanks returned at days end and in my experience keeping a tank over a period of time will lead to headaches with billing. The easiest thing to do would be to buy two tanks. You could keep a filled one at your condo and leave the other at the filling station for when you need it and it would be ready to be switched out when you come back with the empty. Make sure you find some way to permanantly mark them.

It appears that you are going to waive the buddy system. However it is very important to have a float above you at all times if you are not diving from a boat. And if you are going to do anything any distance off-shore without a boat you should file a plan with the wife or someone you know just in case you get swept out by the current, which I have seen happen several times by people diving from shore.

Cozumel Diving

#5 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:25 AM

The only way I can think to do what you want is to own your own tanks. But, IMO, the expense & trouble of buying & maintaining tanks -- keeping the vizs & hydros up to date -- is way too high compared to the cost of daily rental at the fill station -- which is truly peanuts. For shore dives, most of us drive or taxi to the fill station (you need someone to set up a relationship for you -- using their account or your own), pick up tanks, dive, fill up the bike tires, etc., and return the tank. It's pretty darn easy to do plus the fill is fresh. Though it may be fine, I don't like the idea of diving on air that's been sitting in a tank for a long time.

#6 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:47 AM

I just saw that you were wanting to keep the rental tanks in your condo during the time you are away from the islad. Lin Mar and Meridiano would probably not go for that and if they did they would charge you like any dive op, which is around $3.50USD per day and it would run over $100USD a month to do so. You can buy tanks for less than that. The best thing to do would be any time you get the itch to do a dive just run up and grab a tank and then return it the same day. The only other solution would be to buy tanks as mentioned before. Air is air, but I would not like using tanks that had been sitting around for a long time either.

Cozumel Diving

#7 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:56 AM

Maybe you could work out a deal with one of the dive ops that work out of the marina down the street from you. They could drop off a tank the day you need and and pick it up the next day for refill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users