• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kelly from Kentucky

Kelly from Kentucky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:53 PM

My husband and I are coming into Cozumel on Sept 7th. My husband is in a wheelchair. I have contacted a wheelchair accessible van in the cozumel area and was priced 150$ to be picked up from the pier, taken to Playa Mia beach and then returned 3 hours later. That seems very pricey to me. How can we get around without going broke?LOL...

#2 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:29 PM

Is he able to get out of the chair with assistance. If so can you use a regular taxi where they can place the chair in the trunk?

#3 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:11 AM

There are some regular van taxis with lifts here and they operate at standard taxi rates. There's usually a dispatcher standing (or sitting) at every pier taxi stand who can radio if none of these taxis is already waiting there. If no dispatcher, every taxi driver has a radio in his car and and call in the need. Lots of wheelchair-bound cruise passengers here, so do not worry!

#4 Kelly from Kentucky

Kelly from Kentucky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:25 AM

Thank you so much for the information. Yes he can transfer into a vehicle into the front seat and his chair can go into the trunk as long as it is a mid to full size vehicle.

#5 Kelly from Kentucky

Kelly from Kentucky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:56 AM

I am so thankful to have found this website. The information about getting around after we get there has made our upcoming trip worry free. I have a couple more questions though. Do any of you guys know if the transportation is about the same at the Calica pier? And what beach in Cozumel do you recommend for us? I read that playa mia and Chankanaab were nice beaches with beach wheel chairs avaiable. I alos read wonderful things about Paradise beach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users