#1 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

Hey All,

I have ben flying direct to Coz from DFW for several years now using Worry Free Vacations. I have never had one single problem with them and have actually had many good experiences. But alas, it was too good to be. Worry Free shut down operations out of DFW after my last vacation last year.

I hated to see this. For example, last year my wife and I stayed at the Coral Princess for the first time (I prefer the Playa Azul) for 7 nights including hotel, taxes, airfare and transfers for a total of $1,361.00. I realize this was during the swine flu scare, but that is cheap.

All of the rates I am seeing this year for a comparable time are in the $2,200.00-$2,400.00 range. Quite a difference.

Does anyone have any good suggestions on another agency to use?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Sam

#2 ku_jhawk

ku_jhawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:30 AM

I've had great luck with Orbitz. They seem to have arranged some good deals with the hotels - If you do a Hotel+Airfare package, you can get an additional 200 off (7 night min) by entering the coupon code 200ENTERTAIN.

#3 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:47 AM

Thanks I will check it out

#4 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:07 AM

Worry Free was absorbed in the Delta/NWA merger, as Worry Free was a NWA entity. Now the choice is Delta Vacations, which you wouldn't want to use from Dallas since their hub is Atlanta.

You could also try Bookit.com, kayak.com, priceline, etc.

You other option might be to book air & hotel separately. If you like Playa Azul, you can book direct thru their website. https://reservations...m?hotelid=11865

I don't know what you dates are, but that has a big effect on the cost. With some airlines, Tuesday/Thursday arrivals and departures are sometime less expensive.

#5 Linkslady

Linkslady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:29 AM

What about Funjet?

#6 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

I've looked at them on-line. So far the best deals I am seeing seems to be on expedia. I used fujet years ago and I remember them being okay. I might call them and see if the deals are any better. Whatever I find I will post on here so others who are in the same boat will know.

Sam

#7 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:48 PM

Sam,

What are your dates? That can make a big difference. They're quite high now, until about June.

You might try flying into Cancun, that's usually less expensive. If you do the bag drag each way, the cost is just under $100/2 people taking the bus & ferry. The bus price recently increased to $90MXN one way.

You might also try Travelocity & Travelzoo. Your primary option from DFW is American, unless you take Continential & connect @ IAH.

#8 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:33 PM

Sam,
You might want to jump on this quick. Just receive from Travelocity: http://travel.travel...3102010&LANG=EN

#9 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:57 PM

Thanks Diva. I checked it out. About the same as the others. I am wanting to come down on May 29th and stay for 8-10 days. Do you think I should wait another week to be in the low season? I know it makes a big difference.

Sam

#10 lsr3

lsr3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

We are flying through Dallas from Kansas City to CZM on June 1st.
I found American Airlines flights on Expedia for $450 each.

Amazingly, to get on the same flights from Dallas are about $600

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:04 AM

I think I'd wait. Wait and watch. Fares change constantly and you have plenty of time. Also they usually go down in mid May to this neck of the woods because low season is upon us. You should have no trouble getting a hotel reservation last minute in May, for example.

#12 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for everyones input. I believe I will wait awhile and check again. Before, with Worryfree, I could book whenever because they had a low price gaurantee. As long as you checked back from time to time, you could take advantage of any price reductions right up until the time you left. Last year with the swine flu scare, I saved allmost a grand from the time when I originally booked. The prices just kept dropping. When we arrived at the Coral Princess, there were only 6 or 8 rooms occupied besides us.

Sam

#13 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:54 AM

I took the bus a few weeks ago and it is now 102 pesos each way to the airport.

#14 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:42 AM

Airport bus price went up to $106 pesos in October, the third increase in a year. http://www.ticketbus...wtbkd/index.jsp This is a helpful site for checking departure times. If Cancun is your arrival point, best to check for last minute reduction in services, both for the bus and ferry.

The fare structure is mindless. I love those connecting flights where the shorter trip is more costly that from the more distant departure. Fares for the most part seem up 25-30%, but as before any flight may have seats that were purchased at twenty different prices. Check regularly, multiple sources and a little creativity and imagination. People who buy airfare/hotel packages from brokers like Orbitz have reported that sometimes it is cheaper including a car rental in the package, not just hotel and airfare. You are not required to actually pick up and use the car, please explain the logic in that. You can look for discount codes for the assorted package brokers. In my recent searches, I am seeing significantly lower costs with the brokers than through the airlines themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users