Another Car Rental Question (sorry)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

Isis has a $400 deductible which is very reasonable. The cars are older and nothing fancy. We rent from Isis for 12 days every year and wouldn't go with anyone else. Honest, efficient, helpful, no BS.

#22 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:00 PM

Here's the reality...everybody LOVE Margarita...but, she is one of the few who has a $400 dollar deductible.

Her cars are just like Less-Pay, beaters.

As long as they run, who cares.

Check, and RECHECK on deductibles

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#23 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

Having rented from Isis and LessPay, I would say Isis' cars aren't as bad. Now I never rented the bugs, but the little chevy I got from Isis was in great shape while not new. The Pointer at Lesspay WAS a beater. Worked fine, but a beater....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#24 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

Oh, I hear ya...Heck, I bought one of John's beaters about 5 years ago, and the sucker is still running...UGLY, but still works.

Margarita is a delightful lady, and will make right what ever went wrong.

If it's not a problem with the deductible, and she has the car you want, then I'd go with her.

a lot of times it's not about the money...it's all about the service.

Friends rented from Less-Pay last year...had a break down...they just came back to the island, and rented again from Less-Pay...as a courtesy (because of the break down last year) they where comp'd for all their gas for their 12 days stay here on the island because they had a problem 1 year ago.

Business really do try to please...give the locals an opportunity.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#25 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:27 AM

I have rented from ISIS several times. I have had a couple very detailed conversations with Margarita about insurance coverage. Here is what I have concluded from those conversations.
1. There are two aspects to the insurance A. damage to the car you have rented and are driving. B. Damage to anything else (another car you run into, people who are hurt in the incident whether in the car you are driving or others). Margarita's insurance provides basic coverage to both issues BUT, there is a DEDUCTIBLE for the "A" part which is up to 10% of the value of the car. For the lower-end cars I've rented, I have understood that my exposure is less than $1500 for the car damage part. I think that there was no deductible for the "B" part. However, I would double check that. Also, there is the new "if you are at fault in the accident you are reponsible for the lost wages and medical costs of the injured AND they or their family must agree to the amount before you can leave the country". From my conversations with Margarita, no one offers insurance that covers that at this point.

Some people in these discussions claim that they have been able to buy something that covers the deductible (damage to the car) part. I have talked with car rental agents for 'national' brands and have never been totally confident that they were answering my questions correctly. I have not talked with the reps in Cozumel for those rental agencies so I can't say authoritatively. Perhaps asking Margarita (and whoever else you are considering) some 'scenario' questions would help to clarify. Like: 1. if I sideswipe a street sign and put a dent and paint scratches in the car that costs $500 to repair, do I have to pay anything out of pocket? What if it costs $2000 to fix? 2. If I hit another car and am not at fault (the other car did not stop at a stop sign), there is $1000 of damage to my rental car, and the person driving the other car has to be taken the hospital for broken bones and their medical costs are $2000 and they are off work for 1 month? What if I am found to be at fault? Getting the answers to those questions might help you understand your exposure.

Please tell us the results of your research (if you do any). I was able to get true (zero-zero deductible) insurance (zero deductible for the car damage, and zero deductible for damage to other persons or property) on the mainland (Playa del Carmen) but I've always understood that you could not get such coverage on Cozumel. If there is such insurance and it is reasonably priced, I'd like to know about it.

#26 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:14 AM

There is no such thing as an insurance policy against "lost wages"...

I did speak with "someone" about the situation with the "lost wages" saga...this applies to you (guests) as well as those of us who live here.

the term "Lost Wages" applies to someone who is working. If they are working, they are paying for Social Security. SS pays for lost wages, as well as much more.

If a person is NOT working (can not prove they are working) not paying into SS, then they did not loose wages, because they where not earning anything. Therefore, nothing lost.

That is the logic...

However, that does not mean you are free and clear of any responsibilities. You will be responsible for a legitimate claim. If you are involved in an accident or CHARGED in an accident, different story.

I keep learned thing in regards to travel...I now always have contacts numbers available. That would be US Embassy, Lawyer, doctor, clinics where ever I am traveling (never needed it before, but it is a much different world today).

Anonymous

#27 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

I finally heard back from Margarita:

"Good morning

If you want the car for all that days, we can go to pick up you there and give you a ride back at the airport also. the rate for one chevy with a.c-. is 280 usd for 7 days. and chevy no a.c. is 245 usd for 7 days.

do you want reserve one?

margarita"

Do you think I need a car with AC 1st week of sept? And are these rates good?

Thanks

MC
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#28 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

Mark, sorry, but this is getting to be fun (at least for me) it doesn't matter if it's Aug, Sept, Oct...with AC. it's a nice to have, but not really necessary.

But, here's the real value of AC...most likely if you have AC will also have windows and a roof.

My jeep doesn't have AC...but it also doesn't have windows, and only has a bikini top.

Guess what happens when it rains....I have been know to use my snorkel mask while driving:)

Mark, we all over think things... buy the max insurance. Rent the runt of cars (she has a cute Purple VW), and make sure you drive carefully.

If you need numbers to call in case...then just ask.

Anonymous

#29 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:57 AM

40 a day with AC and the Insurance? Its a vacay right? Splurge a little. The little brown chevy stick with AC was very nice when I had it....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#30 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:18 PM

The purple barney car rocks. We had it for 12 days in May. Drives a little rough until you get used to it and the locals love it.

#31 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:26 PM

I went ahead and asked for the car with AC, $285 total and she'll come to me @ Allegro on 9/3...

Thanks to all of you for your help.

MC
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users