19 replies to this topic

#1 Shrout1

Shrout1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

Here are my goals / desires:

1) Automatic vehicle with A/C - vehicle size doesn't really matter (compact / midsize would be nice).
2) $50 a day with *fulllllllllllll* coverage
3) A rental place that won't look for every ding and charge me for a whole new car (which they won't be buying anyway)
4) I don't end up in a Mexican jail having a spiritual experience while my wife bribes jail guards with sandwiches and american currency.

We will be arriving on the ferry from Playa as it appears that flying direct to Cozumel in the off-season is way more expensive than flying in to Cancun.

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

Here are my goals / desires:

1) Automatic vehicle with A/C - vehicle size doesn't really matter (compact / midsize would be nice).
2) $50 a day with *fulllllllllllll* coverage
3) A rental place that won't look for every ding and charge me for a whole new car (which they won't be buying anyway)
4) I don't end up in a Mexican jail having a spiritual experience while my wife bribes jail guards with sandwiches and american currency.

We will be arriving on the ferry from Playa as it appears that flying direct to Cozumel in the off-season is way more expensive than flying in to Cancun.

Isis I think is quoting 55 a day for their automatic with air if its available. I think if you drive it off a cliff you are on the hook for maybe around 400 bucks. Margarita is very nice too. http://www.islacozum.../services/isis/

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

I always use LessPay. They can meet all of your criteria as long as YOU are not too picky!

Dono
It's those changes in latitudes!

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

I used LessPay. They were very cheap and very nice. The VW pointer was a nice car. The AC worked if it wasn't too hot. If you hit the passenger door just right it would almost always open. The car didn't have a tag, so I could park anywhere without worrying about having the tag seized! The price was right though and they actually covered all my gas as well. However I read some stuff that concerned me and I stopped using them.... Don't know the truth, but it scared me off.

I have been dealing with Rooster/Pirate rental. Friend of a friend. They have been treating me right several times now.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#5 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:47 PM

I've been using Less Pay for over 10 years and yes, I've read all the stuff on the message boards. But John has been good to us and I'm not going to change. Stop and talk to them and if you don't like what you here look elsewhere. Enjoy!

#6 Agnes62

Agnes62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:31 AM

I just rented a SMART car from Avis and got the 100% / 0 deductable for about $62.50 a day (car and insurance). The insurance cost more than the car - but I didn't want to risk the problems with lesser coverage. I know that's more than $55 - but it gives you something to compare. I chose Avis because it was at the airport, and wanted to pick-up/drop off there. They have other locations also.

#7 Shrout1

Shrout1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:05 PM

Less Pay eh?

Can I reserve online or do I need to call them?
I don't speak any spanish whatsoever (will make the trip interesting...) - will I be able to successfully reserve a car?
Where are they in relation to the ferry?
How difficult would it be to get a cab to them?
Do they have any shuttle service?

Thanks!

#8 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:17 PM

My experience with lesspay:

Send them and email or call them: http://islacozumel.n...rvices/lesspay/

The owner is from US and the local I talked to was fluent in English.

South from Ferry next to Barracuda. Near Mega.

Easy and cheap to cab to the office. Personally, I would ask them to pick you up at the Ferry. Tip the guy a buck or two. They did take me back to the ferry also.

Without judgement, I would just suggest you read this: http://www.cozumelmy...topic=918&st=40

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#9 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:59 PM

We have used Isis the 2 times we have been this year and would highly recommend them,
both times cars well above average condition with a/c, price was the cheapest around, definitely the best deal in town.

#10 Shrout1

Shrout1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I have contacted less pay and am waiting to hear back from them.

#11 Shrout1

Shrout1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:52 PM

Actually did end up renting from Isis. Trip isn't for another month and a half, so I'll give my review when we get back :)

Contacted John but couldn't quite make heads or tails of what he had in his inventory. Figured I'd see if Isis had an automatic w A/C, and they did! I am renting a Chevy Aveo from Margarita for $55 a day - $5 more a day, but I know I'll be covered and she has a great reputation.

I'll let you know how it goes!

#12 Linkslady

Linkslady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:44 PM

Well just to stir the pot again for ya.. we rent from Thrifty and reserve online. It's like $60 for a week and we pay $25 per day for full coverage with zero deductible. Get an a/c - automatic - with CD player.. usually averages $40 US per day inclusive (rental is very cheap - the insurance is expensive)..

Our car was hit while it was parked at our condo overnight and all we had to do was write a 3 sentence report at Thrifty and we were back on vaca again...

We use ISIS too when we just want to make a trip around the East side..

#13 Shrout1

Shrout1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:08 PM

We ended up renting from Isis.

I e-mailed John initially and had a difficult time finding all the features I wanted in one place. He had automatics, but they didn't have A/C. He had A/C but it was a manual... I know it was suggested earlier that *I* not be picky, but if I'm willing to pay good money, I want to find what I'm looking for.

I sent an e-mail to Margarita at Isis asking if she happened to have any automatics w/ A/C that included full insurance coverage. She wrote back saying that she had a 2004 Chevy Aveo, automatic with A/C. $55 a day.

Keep in mind that Isis also has VW bugs for $25 a day, manual, no A/C. It isn't so much that Margarita is expensive as it's me wanting a fully featured car with good insurance from a place that had a spotless reputation.

I rented the car for 9 days, she gave me 1 day free since it was my honeymoon (kind of her!). She gave us advice about the island, where to find MEGA (the super-store next to punta longasta), advised us to buy bug spray. She gave us a map of the island that included the location of all the back street hourly parking lots (very useful!) and gas stations. She also explained the local traffic laws etc. She even warned us about the attendants at the gas pumps not setting the pump back to 0!

I turned the car back in with all the gas it needed, she had an employee run a visual inspection and I was good to go. Absolutely painless! All the horror stories about the car rental places finding "Scratches" and things that weren't covered; none of that happened here.

Now if I did the trip again... I might not rent a car at all. A taxi ride into town from our condo could be had for $2-$3 - closer to $2 if you paid in pesos. $4 - $6 round trip. Going into town twice a day would cost between $8-$12; you don't have a car to gas up, you don't have to worry about insurance, you don't have to pay for parking.

I would guess that we would have saved at least $200 (possible $300 when you factor in parking and gas) by just taking taxis and not renting a car at all. Cozumel isn't a very big island a $10 taxi ride will get across most of it.

But that was my experience going there the first time! I can't wait to go back :)

#14 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:33 PM

If you don't rent a car you no can't go to the east side. And most folks want to do that at least once.

#15 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

You can also go online and go to car rentals.com...Executive just across from the airport manages many of these sites..I rent from them all the time and get clean, up to date cars with insurance for about $24.00 a day, sometimes less if you have it for a whole week...shop around next time, there are great deals to be had on the island. I know Isis is very good but prices can be high at times.
Glad you had a good rental car experience.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#16 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:19 PM

Really? You got a car from Executive for 24 a day WITH ALL the insurance?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#17 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:02 PM

Yes you get a compact that is listed for $11.45 a day and add the $12.00 insurance, and you have it for 24 hours at a great price...ACE, BlueWay, Thrifty, EZ car rentals...all based just across from the airport on 65th...All cars are new models, clean, most of them full of gas, A/C...great deals.
just check out www.carrentals.com and you can rent a car in many places for low rates.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#18 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:39 PM

That is better than my 'guy'. Seriously. Executive has some nice cars, just expensive. That is really unbelievable. I just did 10 days in December and it comes out to 24 a day for a 4 door auto with air and the collision insurance. That is so good it make me nervous! That was blueway, but they have cars from others on there too.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#19 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:29 AM

If you want to rely upon minimal insurance coverage, no collision and minimal liability, good luck. Whatever you do, don't have an accident, especially one with any injuries and under circumstances that you could be judged at fault. You may be in for truly a life changing experience.

Do people remember when a taxista rear ended a car on Melgar by the Palacio? He radioed for assistance and quickly a group of taxistas moved both vehicles to make it appear that the vehicle stopped for the light at calle 11 headed north was turning left into the Palacio parking lot. Even though the tire skid marks didn't quite match, the damage to the cars contradicted the new "facts", BUT the whole thing was filmed from across the street by El Cantil. It looked Keystone Kops shown on TV!

Don't have an accident with any alcohol in your system, even if not above legal limits for DUI charges, even if you were not at fault in the cause of the accident. They are real serious about reducing alcohol related fatalities, but any alcohol will invalidate whatever the insurance you think you have as coverage.

Remember the incident earlier this year with the Pastor from Oklahoma who hit two guys on a moto, both of whom suffered compound fractures? He thought he had the full coverage from Executive, zero deductible. His insurance covered damage to his car, moto and the hospital charges, but the injuried insisted upon $6,500 dollars compensation for lost wages. As was stated by Anne Harris at the time, she confirmed many of the facts in the man's situation, to her knowledge, no rentals offered insurance that would cover potential lost wages. Do not depend upon on the legal advice given by a Canadian inn keeper who contradicted statements by Anne Harris, various local attorneys and from my person contacts, I talked with two people who had paid wage compensation and one that received it in the past year. The Pastor's case was a perfect storm as it is not necessarily easy to come up with a whole bunch of pesos on quick notice. You can hit ATMs for whatever your daily withdrawal limit will allow. The restrictions of changing cash U.S. dollars make even having money wired from the U.S. complicated. During the man's time in custody here, he managed to get about $2,000 dollars, his parishioners quickly wired the maximum allowed $1,500 dollars to his son. That still left him about $2,500 dollars short of the needed funds to be granted a pardon and be released from jail. His friends from home jumped on a plane and flew down with the additional money needed for a pardon. You aren't in Kansas here nor Oklahoma as the Pastor discovered. He was released on the third day and with support from his Congressman flew home via Houston without his passport to meet the rest of his family returning from their cruise.

Now the recent incident in Merida shows that this is by no means restricted to Quintana Roo. A North American ex-pat living in Merida had an accident, he hit a moto that he didn't see. The rider wound up with a compound fractured leg. The man, a seasonal resident and owned a home, thought he had adequate insurance on his U.S. plated truck imported under his FM3. The accident victim wanted the $40,000 dollars (my guess it might have been $400,000 pesos), BUT he wanted an additional $60,000 dollars in compensation for wages, pain, suffering, whatever. How quickly can you come up with cash money and most likely it needs to be in pesos? Remember banks close on weekends and holidays, ATMs sometimes run out of money, even Bill Gates might have trouble quickly producing $40-50,000 dollars worth of pesos. Well the man in Merida succeeded, between support from his insurance and whatever cash resources he had available, he managed to post a $750,000 peso bond and get released from jail after spending only two nights. It seems he could be considered lucky.

Give some thought to this man's story. It was discussed on the Yolista, Yucatan forums and has made the rounds. Good food for thought. To my knowledge from investigating this past Spring, no rentals offered this coverage, certainly not any cheap $25 dollar a day coverage. Margarita was trying to find this so she could offer it to her clients, but I have heard nothing additional from her since early Spring. http://jailbirdwhome.blogspot.com/ For those locals, it might be time to rethink just how much liability insurance is enough. If you are detained in custody, you are not released until a sufficient cash bond is posted and claims satisfied. You do not leave the island without the aid of a cigarette boat like the DI watch store robbers.

The Oklahoma Pastor had a rental from executive that he had paid about $60 dollars plus almost $30 dollars in full insurance coverage for the day. I wouldn't rely upon $12 dollar a day coverage, but that is just me and my opinion based upon experiences.

#20 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

So Charles, to sum it up basically you are saying:

Get whatever insurance you can as it doesn't matter, cuz you are screwed anyway? Better yet walk or ride a bike. Speaking of bike, what happens if you hit a pedestrian on a bike...?

Not saying it doesn't need review, but the site she posted listed the 12 dollar insurance as COLLISION not LIABILITY and it was an option, unlike liability. I'm just saying you are calling her apple an orange, so to speak.

Collision Damage Coverage is a smart investment that we encourage all our customers to include. It provides important coverage for many of the things you just never expect in your rental car. It's a great choice for our customers because it offers:

• $25,000 in Collision Damage Coverage.
  • $0 Deductible.
  • Primary Coverage.
  • Coverage for collision and/or comprehensive damage to the rental car due to collision, theft, vandalism, fire, or hail.
  • A great deal at $11.99 per day. It's the smart choice for travelers who want premium coverage but don't want to pay $14-$30 at the counter.

This insurance is not offered to residents outside the United States who are renting a car outside the United States

If you go to the site and pop a car in, it will tell you all about it and give you a PDF. As for not relying on 12 dollar insurance, how much should we pay? Perhaps more importantly why?

Do you have a contact to arrange a cigar boat on standby? Is that available as an add on to emergency medical air ambulance service? :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users