• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CZMShell

CZMShell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:45 PM

I need to get to a grocery store from the airport before heading to our hotel up north. The last two times we have walked off the airport property and flagged down a cab. But in the flurry of putting the bags in the trunk and trying to remember all of my Spanish, I think we paid $200 pesos when I know it should be cheaper. Are the cabbies onto knowing that they can charge you an arm and a leg now? I tell them that I need to go to Sedena and then onto my hotel. From the north zone to town is $80 pesos. So you figure you would tip a few bucks for the guy to wait while my husband gets a few essentials. I'm wondering if it's cheaper to get a cab to the Mega -- shop -- and then get the $8 cab to our hotel. How much should it really cost to go from the airport to the Mega? Is that in the same zone?

#2 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

the taxi drivers will rip u off if u let them, whatever they want just offer them 3 or 4 dollars less they will accept it nine times out of ten, b prepared to wave him on and get another one now that u have a fair idea of the price, this might sound a bit bullish but we have had taxi fares ranging from 5 to 10 dollars for the same journey.Once u get ur price fixed tell him u want to go via the supermarket at no additional charge ;-)

#3 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:24 PM

I think it would be fair to say "some" cab drives will rip you off not all. Never take a cab for 20usd that is way to much but don't hold them while you shop, when you do that he is missing other fares let him go and take the next guy.
A local could ride from the airport area to Mega for 30 pesos. The reason they charge more when you walk off the airport is that the people controlling the airport give them hell for picking up people outside the airport. So you will pay a little more but I would offer 7usd and that should make everyone happy, then you can take another cab from Mega to you hotel and that should be on the list that all taxis have with them just ask to see the official rates if it sounds to high.
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#4 CZMFan

CZMFan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:14 PM

We had no problems with cabs fares at all during our recent stay in Cozumel. We grabbed a shuttle from the airport to the downtown for 15 pesos. The cab ride from downtown to the airport was also 15 pesos. The Mega may be in a different zone so the fare may be higher, but not that much higher! We found that several of the taxi stands in the downtown area actually had the fares posted on a whiteboard. We took many cabs from downtown to the Southern beach clubs and paid 12 pesos each way for every trip.

CZMFan

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:04 AM

Easiest thing to do is to buy a shuttle ticket for Centro. Tell the driver you want to go to the Mega and he will let you off there. The charge will be around 45 pesos/person. Roll your bags into the mega and up the moving walkway and leave them in the paqueteria which will be directly in front of you when you get to the top of the ascending electronic ramp. Load up on groceries and then take your bags and the groceries back down the moving sidewalk and out to the entrance on the right side downstairs as you face the ocean. There are always cabbies waiting here. And they'll load you up and take you to the northern hotel zone. It will cost a few pesos more because you are using a cab from a sitio, a waiting station. Ask the fare but I'm going to guess max 70 pesos for four people and luggage to the northern hotel zone. Might only be $50.

That's how I would do it. Better dragging the bags into the AC'd Mega and up the moving sidewalk where they can be safely checked while you shop than lugging them out to the road and waiting for a cab to come along. Because, for one thing, you have to go further away from the airport now. So we're talking two blocks out to the road and at least another block up 65 or down Airport Blvd before a cab will stop for you.

I would use the Mega rather than the Sedena as your selection will be vastly improved at the much, much larger store.

#6 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:40 PM

I prefer to drop my bags at the condo first and then go shopping. It does cost you an extra cab fare but I tend to get a little side tracked in Mega and would not want a cab waiting on me while I was shopping.

#7 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

Carey's advice makes the most sense to me, too. The cost for a cab to wait while you shop is completely up to the driver, could end up being quite high, and, since the cabbie is in the driver's seat in all respects, the fare probably won't be quoted in advance and would be difficult to bargain down after the fact.

#8 Shrout1

Shrout1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

We just got back - it was probably easy to find a cab because it is the slow season. Many days we practically had the island to ourselves - no cruise ships that day.

I *always* asked the fare first - "$3 for Mega, that ok?" If they agree or negotiate you work it out and *then* you get in the cab. I'd never hop in one without first knowing what I was going to pay at the end.

And the island ain't that big! You can always keep walking until the next cab comes.

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

a cab to the mega from most places in the downtown area should be 20-25 pesos. Which is around $2.25-$2.50. You will get a better rate quoted if you ask for the price and pay in pesos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users