• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Shrout1

Shrout1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:26 PM

Every time I say I'm going to Mexico for my honeymoon I always hear this: "Don't drink the water!" Seems like a good theme - "Mexico 2011: Don't drink the water". A theme that never changes...

My goal with this thread is to know where I should not eat. What establishments on Cozumel actual *satsify* Montezuma's desire for revenge? Where are the places that will leave me lodged on the porcelain god for the remainder of my time on the island? What should I avoid so that I can enjoy the entirety of my stay?

Please don't hold back! I want all the details - every juicy one. Bulleted lists are even better ;)

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:31 PM

think it would be easier to ask which people you wouldn't eat with, then places you wouldn't eat at.

You would be hard pressed to find a bad meal here.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

Hate to disagree with Coz2wonder, but the last time (and it WILL be the LAST time) I ate at Carlos N' Charlies I had a bad meal there. I've been coming to Coz for over 20 years now, and I used to really enjoy Carlos N' Charlies - not great food, and overpriced, but I usually enjoyed the Ribs or Barbecued Shrimp. Last time, the ribs were dry, stringy, & without flavor, the French fries were soggy & cold, even the Mish Mash had completely lost its allure. It won't make you sick, but why pay too much for a bad meal? I have, on rare occasions, gotten a case of Montezuma's Revenge in Coz (maybe 2 or 3 times in 20+ years), but I couldn't identify the restaurant, and it was nothing that some Immodium & OTC Cipro (no prescription required for this in Mexico) didn't knock out. Best way to avoid it is to buy & keep in your hotel room and with you plenty of bottled water - even for brushing your teeth. And, if you stop off for a drink somewhere, make sure they use bottled water to make the ice. To me, a "bad meal" in Cozumel is one where the quality was bad, or it was way overpriced for what I got. Places I won't eat in Coz, and why, are as follows:

1. Carlos N' Charlies - Poor quality food, way too loud (Maybe I'm just getting to be an old Codger), Overpriced.

2. MacDonalds - WHY??? You are in Mexico, and on vacation! Eat someplace you couldn't find at home!

3. KFC - Same.

4. Domino's Pizza - Same.

5. Almost any "All-Inclusive" - It starts with Cozumel Palace (which #*&#ed me out of a timeshare when it bought out Plaza Las Glorias), but as to ALL AI resorts - never in Cozumel; too many better alternatives.

6. Touristy Places at or immediately adjacent to Cruise Ship Pier - Johnny Rocket's, Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, Senor Frogs, et al. - Let the Cruise Ship Passengers pay way too much for someone else's Americanized idea of "Mexican Food." I'll go for the real thing, thanks anyway.

#4 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

I generally agree w/ Dan's list. How would you know if ice wasn't made w/ bottled water...other than simply asking and then trusting them when they say "Si". All the restaurants use bottled water to make ice. Don't worry.
Coz2wonder- what does that mean "people you shouldn't eat with"? Weird.
Shrout1- I doubt anybody (or not many) folks are going to say that a certain restaurant made them sick...AI buffets? Yes but not restaurants. We've been going there for 22 years and only gotten sick once...and who knows from what. Don't worry.
There are many, many lovely & excellent restaurants on Cozumel. Enjoy them. Don't worry.
Maybe it'd be better to ask for a top ten list of place you SHOULD eat.

#5 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:04 PM

I eat at backroads restaurants, corner shops, and in the square from the food carts with no problems whatsoever. I always order bottled water and a glass of ice and have never had any problem.

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:01 AM

Can't somebody make a JOKE????? Also, I stole that line from a VERY frequent poster on this site...

We have not had a KFC here in many years, nor do we have a Johnny Rocket's,so you don't have to worry about that.

There is nothing wrong with the food at either McD's or Domino's. We do have a Pizza Hut as well. It is a choice if you want to eat it or not.

Don't be concerned about the ice, nobody (including the locals) what to get sick. It is produced, and delivered by an ice company in bags.

The one thing I am not comfortable with is seeing Mayo left out on tables, and not refrigerated. There was a long discussion about that, and a number of folks who live here don't see the issue.

It's like eggs, they leave them out as well. However, they are consumed so quickly, that it most likely will not make a difference.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:02 AM

Had a craving for Pizza Hut pizza last summer while staying on the island for the summer. NEVER EVER will I eat there again. I have never been more sick in my life. How do I know it was the pizza? The symptoms began approximately 45 minutes after eating and didn't stop for 4-5 days. I've had bad reactions to food and drinking dirty water before, but this was a whole new level of ill. My then fiance, now husband, also had a bad reaction to the pizza, but not nearly as severe as mine. I can't eat at Pizza Hut in the states anymore cuz of the memory.

#8 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

Perhaps the more appropriate warning would be to not drink too much tequila. Besides all inclusive buffets (flies - bird poop - poor temperature control), my guess is the over consumption of alcoholic beverages would be the biggest cause of Montezuma's Revenge. Combining the normal high temperatures and the dehydrating effects of alcohol (excessive coffee too), few people drink enough water. Many foods that your body is not accustomed to, changes is diet in general can be another factor. Trying to cram too much too fast into too short a vacation.

I don't drink the tap water from CAPA, but I use it when rinsing after brushing my teeth (I do not suggest this). The tap water is way improved over ten or twenty years ago.

There are lists of restaurants grouped by prices from the FOOD link at the top of the page. Use common sense and take things in moderation, especially after the effects of air travel. I can't remember having "Montezuma's Revenge" in Mexico although I have had various assorted parasites a handful of times, especially after my trips into the outback of Chiapas. The last time I had a case of bad food poisoning was from a slice of mushroom pizza (I thought it was plain cheese) from a gourmet restaurant in Florida.

#9 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:12 AM

The only problem I have with the restaurants in Cozumel is trying to figure out which of our MANY favorites we're going to get to eat at during our always too short stay.

However not following Charles' warning did put me in a hammock :blink: for the better part of the day on one trip. I blame it on first night enthusiasm.

#10 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:12 AM

I will never eat at at Chin Rio again. In fact I won't even buy their beer. Not that the foods bad but I have never even had half-assed service there. Too many other fun & friendly places to eat/drink at.

Dono
It's those changes in latitudes!

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:01 PM

Well actually, you might want to drink a little more while you adjust.

Apparently 40 grams is the magic number, so Dr. El Jefe say at least three shots EVERY TIME you eat in Mexico for safety. Its a science thing....

http://www2.potsdam....1110384069.html

http://www.nytimes.c...lth/15real.html

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#12 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

Interesting stuff. I'm a big fan of Oysters on the half shell, but I worry about the possibility of contaminated oysters. I guess I can rest easy if I simply down a shot of Tequila before each Oyster - but I'm not sure I'd ever again make it through the first dozen oysters.

#13 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

Dono:

I agree about Chen Rio. The last time we went, which was about 5 years ago, the food was good, service was half-assed, and we got completely raped on the bill. We'll never set foot in the place again.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#14 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:37 AM

Pizza is one thing I love to eat and I will be in CZ for 10 days starting friday... And I will go 10 days without pizza, which will succcck! But PIZZA HUT sucks and will ALWAYS suck... Their food sends me to the pot before I finish a 2nd slice... It’s like their food is laced with ex-lax!
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#15 alma

alma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:15 PM

Mark: There is absolutely no need to go without pizza on Coz! We have had great pizza there. Try Fratelli's, Herradura's, Rolandi's, MosiaCoz, Guido's or Sorrisi which can compete with the best pizza anywhere.

#16 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:14 PM

where is the EXTREME like button on here...?

THANKS!!!
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#17 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:36 PM

The pizza at Fratelli's was good. They give you this soy sauce kinda stuff to put on it. Actually was good.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#18 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:29 PM

Agree with Alma 100%! Good pizza to be had. We like very thin crust. It's all good!

#19 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:58 PM

i am a big believer of giving places a 2nd chance. sometimes the main chef is on vacation or had a bad day, so i go back. others are for horrible service with mediocre food. here are a few that fall in the category of been there, done that, tried it again, and won't return.
some people will basically shoot me down for some of these. it is not personal and some may have other stories to the contrary, but hey, you asked!
i will not eat at "casa blanca" in the square. food sucked.
never never never again in tony romes (puking and diarrhea at the same time for a group of 7 eating the same thing does not speak well for the establishment)
the breakfast leaves much to be desired in prima (although i like the dinner)
for treating us locals like criminals visiting friends staying in fiesta americana, will never return
el moro, boring. never saw the interest in that place. never liked the food.

pizza:
however, some of my fav pizza is ninos. 872 4166. they deliver, thin crust and great price.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#20 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:10 PM

never never never again in tony romes (puking and diarrhea at the same time for a group of 7 eating the same thing does not speak well for the establishment)

i hope u didn't take video... LMAO

Good to know - i always heard good thing about tony romes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users