#21 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:12 PM

el moro, boring. never saw the interest in that place. never liked the food.

Seriously? You don't think they have some top notch mole? I mean that's some good mole.... (some might complain about the decor, but I like the orange Formica and the dusty mounted animals. It gives it a special feng shui. All is in balance....)

And it has Ray.... Tell me another place that has RAY? Attached File  El Moro Ray.jpg   31.96KB   16 downloads That man was born with a smile on his face and Moorish hospitality in his heart. (and a bottle of Xtabentun in his hand.... but that's another story....)

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#22 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:30 PM

Attached File  elmorojag.jpg   45.82KB   16 downloads Ok, its a dusty stuffed jaguar but... Its all part of the ambiance! Work with me people....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#23 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:21 PM

the food there never did anything for me. ambience can be found in other places with decent food.
and no, no video of the after effects of the ribs dinner. it all happened to everyone around 2am. and this was last year. the worst meal i ever ate was there too many years ago when they were on salas when i was still a tourist. never got it.

like i said, to each his own. i gave all these places many chances to make good and it never happened.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#24 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:03 AM

You know another place with a dusty stuffed jaguar? Do tell. I would try it....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#25 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:36 AM

The pizza at Fellini's on Calle 2 between Melgar and 5 is good too. No English spoken the last time I checked.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#26 alma

alma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:48 PM

I'm with the Chief on El Moro! We have had some fabulous meals there. My family loves the shrimp on a wire. I have simple tastes; love the white rice, black beans, plantains, and grilled fish with garlic butter. The nachos are excellent as well. We have been there so many times with friends and family and they all ask to go back to El Moro every time they visit. We love Ray too!

#27 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:37 PM

My biggest problem at El Moro is deciding. Like I ALWAYS need some of their mole, but I ALSO really want the Zacharia platter. (My bud Carlos says that garlic butter makes you strong like bull.... ) And yet still I want to try some other stuff like the shrimp. The missus likes the Yucatan pork chop. It almost always the first stop on the island. You know I could go there twice in a week, but there are so many other places I want to try or go back too. I even bought a bottle of Xtabentun.....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#28 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:57 PM

I dont think I have had a bad meal in Cozumel yet. I hope that continues. Have i paid more than I should have? Yes. But I was fully aware of the prices and have never been ripped off. Yet. No need to go without pizza. Had one at Guidos this year and loved it. And although it was a few years ago I had the bbq ribs, chicken, and shrimp at Carlos and Charlies and thought it was pretty good.

#29 fishingbabe8

fishingbabe8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:47 AM

Small places do not have ice machines. Everybody buys ice made from purified water. Now lettuce, not unless you wash it yourself. Sickest I ever got was from mayonnaise (they keep it out instead of refrigerated as a rule). However the next to sickest was at the baptism for Memo Arana's daughter and that was catered by El Presidente. We all got sick, even Memo. But it was a beautiful party.

#30 fishingbabe8

fishingbabe8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

El Moro is an over-priced tourist trap frequented by dive groups whose dive master gets paid to send them. Now before you scream, think about it, have you ever seen a Mexican eating in there?

#31 fishingbabe8

fishingbabe8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:53 AM

The Moors, aka Muslim warriors, were not known to be happy and friendly. He is not a Moor, however and neither are his Yucatecan parents. They even speak Mayan at home so you can't even say Lebanese-Mexicans. They are Mayans and they are ashamed of it which has always amazed me. Ray is nice, though. He is my neighbor.

#32 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:17 PM

El Moro is an over-priced tourist trap frequented by dive groups whose dive master gets paid to send them. Now before you scream, think about it, have you ever seen a Mexican eating in there?

Seriously? My DM would rather go to La Choza I think. Must not be getting much of a kickback though as she doesn't push for it.

And so the definition of a good restaurant is how many Mexicans eat there? Wow. I didn't know that the ability to discern good food was a racial thing. You know Kinta might be light on Mexicans too. Darn I like to eat there too. Come to think of it there weren't any Mexicans eating at Danube either when I was there. (Well actually we had one or more Mexicans in our group often when we went, but I guess I can't count them? )

I always thought tourist traps usually had balloon hats. I am so confused. So is Michael too I guess, the poor devil.... But he does take some nice photos: Cozumel Sun

Yum, look at that crappy tourist food.... I had heard it was one of the oldest restaurants on the island too? Must be that kickback model is the way to go! Amazing the gringos who go there year after year never figure it out....

Anyway, what is the kickback on sending groups? Maybe I can ask Ray to kick back to me for taking people there?

(Irony and Satire aside, can't you just say you think the food is expensive and not that good? Or perchance offer some sort of proof....)

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#33 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:27 PM

The Moors, aka Muslim warriors, were not known to be happy and friendly. He is not a Moor, however and neither are his Yucatecan parents. They even speak Mayan at home so you can't even say Lebanese-Mexicans. They are Mayans and they are ashamed of it which has always amazed me. Ray is nice, though. He is my neighbor.

While fierce warriors, I would not say that the Arab culture was without hospitality. In fact, hospitality is a hallmark of their culture and religion I believe, war face aside. So, I take it you just don't like the family and lump the restaurant in?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#34 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

I'm with you on this one, cvchief. The family is so loving and welcoming. They would do anything for you. I'm sensing a personal issue here.

And, just so you know, every single time I go there, this mysterious thing happens. I SEE MEXICANS COMING IN TO EAT! Yes, there are a lot of ex-pats, some of whom are divers who also eat there. What in the world does it matter who their clientele is? I'll send as much business their way as I can because of the welcoming atmosphere and that special attention that Rey, Helser, and the rest of the family give.

Maybe we'll run into each other there sometime, cvchief!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#35 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:27 PM

I'm with you on this one, cvchief. The family is so loving and welcoming. They would do anything for you. I'm sensing a personal issue here.

And, just so you know, every single time I go there, this mysterious thing happens. I SEE MEXICANS COMING IN TO EAT! Yes, there are a lot of ex-pats, some of whom are divers who also eat there. What in the world does it matter who their clientele is? I'll send as much business their way as I can because of the welcoming atmosphere and that special attention that Rey, Helser, and the rest of the family give.

Maybe we'll run into each other there sometime, cvchief!

That would be cool!!

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#36 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:31 PM

I am currently on the island and went to El Moro Friday night with my friend who is a local. We have been going there about 15 years, and while we have always enjoyed our dinners along with the hospitality from Ray and the family, Friday's dinner was outstanding. Drinks were Sangria, 2 beer, 2 Vodka and Orange Juice, 2 orders of shrimp shish kebob which were absolutely delicious, the shrimp were huge. Bill was under 50 dollars and of course the complimentary liquer was a nice finish. There was one lady there eating on her own,a group of 4 guys - may have been tourists, and 2 other guys that were definitely local. We have always been made to feel so welcome and for me no visit to the island would be complete if I didn't go there at least once. And I like Kinta as well - a totally different vibe and menu from El Moro, but also a must. I also like El Pique for tacos. What I have noticed in the few days I have been here - all the places I have been to thus far have not been busy at all, things are very slow and I understand from my local friends there have been a number of layoffs and things are very tight, moreso than normal for this time of year.
Places I haven't eaten at and likely never will - Carlos and Charlies, Margaritaville, and the like. My next one to try is Danube, based on recent reviews.

Valli

#37 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:24 PM

prob should be on a diff post, but we have found what we consider the best tacos. mister taco, on juarez, just west of the fire dept on the other side of the street. their pastor leaves everyones in the dust (including my former fav's being otates and los seras and el pique). get there early so there is still pineapple. very low on the grease scale and very good taste.

i think the local comments are note worthy. locals, WITHOUT their tourists friends, show a good following of food quality and authenticism. i always see locals at a table at la choza, rolandis, guidos, mister taco, le chef, and many more. go to la choza at lunch time and a good 70% of the tables are filled with locals eating. locals also know that during these hours, you order from the specials of the day, rarely from the menu. tourists can do this too, you just need to ask.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#38 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:09 AM

That isn't the place with the esquites is it? I was told by locals :) that some of the best esquites on the island are served right by the FD. I searched out the place yet.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#39 henribos

henribos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:snorkeling, golf, reading, cooking

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:21 PM

Yes, they serve esquites at a little counter to the right of the dining area at Mister Taco. I second Nauticab, Mister Taco has got to be the best. Their charros frijoles (bean soup) is to die for!

#40 jic811

jic811

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:34 PM

Where is Mister taco?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users