#41 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:37 PM

Yes, they serve esquites at a little counter to the right of the dining area at Mister Taco. I second Nauticab, Mister Taco has got to be the best. Their charros frijoles (bean soup) is to die for!

Well then that has to be on the list. A friend's son told me if I wanted good esquites to go to the place by the bomberos. I just haven't looked there yet.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#42 henribos

henribos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:snorkeling, golf, reading, cooking

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:04 AM

Mister Taco is on Jaurez at 60th on the north side, almost directly across from the Fire Station. Only open from 7 PM until late.

#43 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:51 AM

I just wanted to clarify on Tony Rome's. I have eaten there for many years, as have alot of my family and friends. No one has EVER gotten sick. In fact only one time has anyone gotten sick from eating on the Island and that was my daughter and we had eaten at Mosaic on the square. We both had the same pizza and only she got sick. The doctor said the germ could actually only have been on one piece of the pizza. Other then that we have eaten every where from the little stands to the fancy places and never been sick.

#44 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

http://g.co/maps/q2aem <===== click here

Street view ;o) I think the link will work from google maps. If you turn the view around you can see the fire station...Always drive by here never stopped. This will change for sure

#45 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:05 PM

well when 9 of us ate at tony romes, all but 1 order the same meal (ribs and 1 margarita each), and all but that one got violently ill 5 to 6 hours later, there is ZERO doubt as to the source of the bad food. we all ate differently earlier that day and did different things in different places.
i have tried them 4 times, twice more than my "rule" because of friends going there and each time it was seriously the worst food i have ever eaten in cozumel. my visit as a tourist back in the late 90s when it was located around the corner of salas still sticks out as the most tasteless, horrific meal.
to each his own. some people will say the same about other places with a GUESS as to the source of the food poisoning. there is no guessing in this case. either way, it is not on my list anymore. the ribs were not horrible btw. tasting them again at 2am was.

i don't know tony well at all. some love him, others don't. this is not a personal attack. but 3 times you are out and 4 times was all my fault.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#46 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

8 wins over a "1" MAYBE.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#47 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

Dailene, I wasn't doubting you, just saying that I or my family have never had any kind of problem over all the years. lol and you are right, because there are 1 or 2 places that others rave about, and I will not go to again.

#48 dos margaritas

dos margaritas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:48 AM

There is a taqueria on 11th right past 30th on the left (if your coming from R. Melgar). It's Taqueria Hernandez and so far they have the best tacos, especially the Pastor, that I've had in cozumel. I'm so lucky, because they are just around the corner from our house.

On a slightly different note though, we had some ladies cook for us and our friends from San Antonio last night. I haven't had food any better at any of the wonderful restaurants here and they are such nice people. It's fun to watch them make these wonderful dishes. You pay for the groceries (but they shop for you). They bring the groceries over and cook in your kitchen. We had snapper Veracruzana, pablano rice, wonderful refried black beans, quacamole, homemade salsas, garlic bread and fresh tortillas. It was all fantastic. They clean up the kitchen afterwards (much better than what the kitchen was when they arrived.) Their business is called Cooking Service by the Espinoza Sisters. They charge for the cost of groceries plus $8.00 US per person. Their names are Reina & Veronica Espinoza and they can be reached by cell phone 987-119-8900 or 987-117-2106. It is so slow on the Island right now. If you hear of anyone who would like this kind of service, please pass along the information. I would really like to see these hard working ladies make it.

#49 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:37 PM

dos margaritas, please make a new post in service providers about Espinoza Sisters...sounds wonderful.

We need to support local business as we can.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#50 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:53 PM

bump

Anonymous

#51 Shrout1

Shrout1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:05 PM

Y'all are awesome!

I haven't checked in for a while, been busy with plans / prep - only a few weeks away!

Thanks for all the advice and input!

#52 Tia

Tia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:35 PM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:05 PM
well when 9 of us ate at tony romes, all but 1 order the same meal (ribs and 1 margarita each), and all but that one got violently ill 5 to 6 hours later, there is ZERO doubt as to the source of the bad food. we all ate differently earlier that day and did different things in different places.
i have tried them 4 times, twice more than my "rule" because of friends going there and each time it was seriously the worst food i have ever eaten in cozumel. my visit as a tourist back in the late 90s when it was located around the corner of salas still sticks out as the most tasteless, horrific meal.
to each his own. some people will say the same about other places with a GUESS as to the source of the food poisoning. there is no guessing in this case. either way, it is not on my list anymore. the ribs were not horrible btw. tasting them again at 2am was.

i don't know tony well at all. some love him, others don't. this is not a personal attack. but 3 times you are out and 4 times was all my fault.

nauticab, did you bother to take the time to let Tony know of this? He is constantly on his staff to clean up and wash their hands, have their cleaning cloths in bleach water, etc. My mother and him talk about food safety a lot as she has one of the first certificates in prevention of foodborne disease issued in the state of MN in the '70s. It is quite possible too that the food itself came pre-infected.

I've had food poisoning on a few occasions in the US and once we all got sick and it was traced back to the meat market. Of the 15 of us at the picnic, only one didn't get sick. He only ate brats. But, I digress.

I am sorry you had a bad experience there.

Tia

-edited for speeeeeeeling errors

#53 itzrandy

itzrandy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

OMG, I can't believe that you are saying this! We were ripped off there a couple of years ago, the Seafood Platter was great, but the waiter was pissy and the bill was a hissy! He totally messed us over. I won't ever go back there again. Becky

#54 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

We were ripped off there a couple of years ago... I won't ever go back there again.

Since you're resurrecting a thread in which the last post was over 8 months ago, I can't tell where "there" is. There are several places referenced in the thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users