• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#121 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

I have not been on the board as of late I have been busy, but I am saddened to come back to read about this tragedy. And a tragedy it is, regardless if it was caused by stupidity. I have done many dangerous and stupid things in my life and only by luck or the grace of God did I not get hurt. So I truly feel for all involved and pray for their recovery. If you choose to give to help defray the cost of medical treatment it is up to each individual there is no right or wrong. How you feel about their actions and what compassion they deserve or don't deserve is up to the individual.
Yes it was stupid but yet I feel bad for all involved I hope they make full recoveries. I also hope the families stay strong in this sad time.

Ron

#122 11Toltec11

11Toltec11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:36 AM

[quote name='MarkC' date='15 September 2011 - 01:01 PM' timestamp='1316113284' post='14004']
Sorry, one last response and I'll stop.

Cenotist - from your link:

"a. A drama or literary work in which the main character is brought to ruin or suffers extreme sorrow, especially as a consequence of a tragic flaw, moral weakness, or inability to cope with unfavorable circumstances."

Yes, there is alot of [real life] drama. Yes, the main characters were brought to ruin or suffer extreme sorrow. But it was due to their own stupidity and well within their control to have avoided it...

So, this is not a tragedy... It's not even an accident as the title to this thread states.

I'm done for good in this thread
[/

#123 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:52 AM

Well expressed 11Toltec11, It is various people and their attitudes which prompt me to make a donation when I otherwise might not be inclined. I'll be sure to stop by and see Gabi, truly a remarkable man.

#124 zendiver001

zendiver001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:44 PM

Since others have covered the negative on this thread, I don't need to go there. Instead will choose to cover what may be the few positive notes.

Yes, Gabi is an amazing guy. The courage that it took to do what he did is mindboggling. Think about how cold and dark it is at those depths and... narced or not, consider also that he was too experienced to not be aware of his low air and the peril that entailed. Regardless, he went after her; and whatever happens, he's a hero in my book. Rant about the stupidity if you choose, this guy has a pair.

And experienced divers or not, a buddy breathing ascent by THREE from 300ft is a truly remarkable feat. With or without enough air.

Yes, stupidity got them into this situation, but it was skill and amazing nerves that got them to the surface.

It's not much, ok? But I'll give them that. Get well Opal, my heart is breaking.

#125 waterartist

waterartist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Diving, animals, art, reading, gardening

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:29 PM

Thanks Zen Diver.... Well put!! I talked to Gabi today and he was at the chamber but in great spirits

#126 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:26 PM

gabi's wife came to the store yesterday and said that he will be discharged this week. the clinic will pick him up daily for his chamber rides (they just need to help pay for gas) and his physical therapy sessions are starting. she too has an amzing support system with family and friends connected in the right places to get them help.

she told me that he has started to get some feeling in his stomach area, little by little.
according to Tmack, opal's friend staying by her side in florida, her trach surgery scheduled for today has been postponed as her counts were not up to par yet.

keep your prayers going. and zendiver, you got it right. gabi has a pair.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#127 gypsy

gypsy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:01 AM

Thanks Zen Diver.

It is easy to overlook the heroism in the rush to criticize the dive planning. Mistakes were made, but it was only threw heroic effort and risk that Gabi, and then Heath were able to give Opal at least a fighting chance at life.

#128 cozdiver00

cozdiver00

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:04 PM

For those who don't know already Opal died last...........

#129 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:18 PM

taken from Scubaboard

"Rally for Opal & Gabi & Heath's Recovery Scuba Mau | Facebook

Message from the above facebook page

Very sad news: With permission of April (opal's mom). Last night about 10:59 p.m. (est) Opal passed with family by her side. We knew the journey and fight for Opal would be a tough one and with sadness, we press on to understand the tragedy of the situation and we know that life will change forever now without her beautiful smile and her spirit for life. A fish from the sea, now an angel above!!! Fly High Opal, We will miss you and love you forever!"

Condolences to Opal's family and friends, Coz2W

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#130 gypsy

gypsy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:29 AM

taken from Scubaboard

"Rally for Opal & Gabi & Heath's Recovery Scuba Mau | Facebook

Message from the above facebook page

Very sad news: With permission of April (opal's mom). Last night about 10:59 p.m. (est) Opal passed with family by her side. We knew the journey and fight for Opal would be a tough one and with sadness, we press on to understand the tragedy of the situation and we know that life will change forever now without her beautiful smile and her spirit for life. A fish from the sea, now an angel above!!! Fly High Opal, We will miss you and love you forever!"

Condolences to Opal's family and friends, Coz2W

Thank you for posting. Painful, but not complete unexpected news. Colleen and I wish her family and friends our condolences.

#131 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:11 AM

Scuba Mau Opal has the same info, plus a very moving tribute from Heath Hood.

I made the death of Opal and what follows a separate post so that her passing did not get lost in the tread.

http://www.cozumelmy...?showtopic=2376

I am going to bump the post Scuba Mau Opal

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#132 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Diving

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

Wow it is what it is, they paid a dear price for what they attempted to do. Regardless most of us have one time or another in our lives attempted something daring that could have really hurt. I am sure they did not expect this to go bad, but it did. Sometimes when ego's are involved somone gets hurt. I feel bad not only for all the victim's but there family's as well. Bottom line "God be With Them All". I was going to add more but I choose not to.

Dive Safe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users