42 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:45 PM

Had another delicious meal at Danube restaurant last night with my friend, Luh, and the owner, a really nice guy named Raymond, was telling us that they're all worried sick because, for reasons they don't understand, they suddenly went from being #1 in restaurant recommendations on trip advisor to last on the list.

Apparently they got one bad review from a party who was unhappy with the service. Raymond, as the owner, tried to respond. His response never appeared on trip advisor. Instead all but five of the 60 wonderful reviews they'd received suddenly disappeared. And he was suddenly demoted to #116, last on the list with the following red message above the few remaining reviews:

Message from TripAdvisor: "TripAdvisor has reasonable cause to believe that individuals or entities associated with or having an interest in this property may have interfered with traveler reviews and/or the popularity index for this property. We make our best efforts to identify suspicious content and are always working to improve the processes we use to assess traveler reviews"

So apparently Danube is being accused of somehow tampering with or falsifying reviews although I don't really see how they could do that. Maybe they could come on and pose as other people and do four or five. But not 60.

Trip Advisor is stone walling him when he asks what happened. Luh thinks they want him to advertise with them. Apparently the UK version of trip advisor is coming under scrutiny for pretending to be impartial when actually they have all kinds of behind the scenes deals going on. (Like big DUH)

That could be it, alright, and it could also be some petty local person, possibly a competitor, is out to get them and made some accusations along these lines.

Well, if you've ever met Raymond, he's a very sweet guy and a very hard working guy and so is the whole staff of that restaurant. He is worried and completely bewildered by what's happened.

Trip Advisor staff won't do anything to explain or rectify what happened except to say he should 'talk to his promotions person." but he doesn't have a promotions person.

So this is a call out for help.

Anyone who has eaten at this restaurant and liked it, please register on trip advisor and post a nice review. They need to build their reputation back up and only their customers can help them at this stage. There's been a mistake here and they don't deserve this.

My interest in this? I like the place and I don't want it to close down as there aren't that many excellent places to eat here that don't serve Yucatecan cuisine. So its something different and its good food, good service and good ambiance. So take 15 minutes if you have the time, register on trip advisor if you need to and give Danube some reviews.

Here's the link for where you would post:http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150809-d2061952-Reviews-Danube_European_Cuisine-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html.

I should add that where possible reviews should be posted from computers that are not on the island. It may be that quite a lot of people posted reviews while they were still staying on the island and so a lot of Cozumel IP addresses were showing up leading Trip Advisor to somehow infer that Raymond had a sweat shop of posters cranking out fake good reviews from back rooms and huts around the island.

Help if you can and if you like this restaurant. I'm going to post a review as soon as I get to California at the end of the month so I have a non Cozumel IP address. (I live here.)

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:57 PM

I just posted a good review. I enjoyed the place last trip.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 DiverDown

DiverDown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:42 PM

Done! Really enjoyed dinner at Danube. Hope Tripadvisor pulls the "warning" :-(

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:46 AM

That warning is very odd. It is possible that the staff may have been slightly zealous marketing-wise by handing out cards to guests that said something like if you like your meal, consider posting a review on tripadvisor. I believe the one negative review they got just before they were backlisted, so to speak, mentioned something like that.

But I don't really see that as tampering with their precious and so called 'unbiased' system. (Hard to be completely unbiased in what reviews get edited and which don't when you are doing cross promotion deals and various advertising schemes with literally millions of tourism related businesses.)

In giving out cards Danube was simply saying that if you like your meal, please think about posting a review. I think that's pretty smart marketing myself. And, after all, guests are under no requirement or given any freebies for promising to do this. So I don't see what the deal is. "Sign here and promise to post a good review on trip advisor or you will get the worst piece of weiner schnitzle you ever had in your life"??? Come on.

So now Danube is last on the list for Cozumel restaurants on the largest travel related website in the world. They are under Pizza Hut. It's really going to impact on their bottom line.

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:50 AM

And one last note for anyone who would be kind enough to take the time and post a review,

Reviews should mention, now that I think about it, that "I was in no way influenced or coerced or whatever into placing this review and I am really wondering what that warning at the top of this page is about."

#6 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:06 AM

I think there are a number of Cozumel restaurants requesting reviews on TripAdvisor. TripAdvisor restaurant reviews for me are sort of like a 10th grade popularity contest. You really have to weed out the good and the bad reviews.

There are a couple of other suspect reviews of places I have been to where the food was sub-par, but yet they get gourmet reviews for what is essentially pub fare.

Tracking IP addresses of posters is pretty easy to do. Fake reviews should be reasonably easy to spot although I doubt they do a lot of tracking of this.

I haven't been to Danube yet. It is on my list of places to visit.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:04 AM

Do them a favor and stop in as soon as you can, Mark. If you're a frequent poster on TA, management is likely to give more credence to an unbiased review from you then they would from, say, mi, who just registered and posted something this morning.

This is serious business. They are playing around with people's lives and livelihoods. I don't read other Cozumel related forums. Have there been negative reviews and snide comments posted there in regard to this restaurant? Comments that might have influenced the TA staff to drop the restaurant down into the review pits AND post a hellish red warning accusing them of trying to falsify or bribe for reviews? WHAT is with that, anyway?

Trying to piece this puzzle together.

#8 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:12 AM

I just submitted my post from Albuquerque since I happen to be away from the island for a short time. I think it's a great idea for people to do this. But, more importantly, we need to keep going back for dinner! Don't forget that part! LOL

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#9 TreeSon

TreeSon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:55 PM

Where is Danube? Fill us in on the kind of food, prices, etc. please?

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:19 PM

Website for the Danube:http://www.danubecoz.com/en/index.php

Information from recent posts including pricing on low to high on some of the menu items.

I think it is medium priced, and the food is excellent!!!

It is directly across the street from Puerta Maya (from downtown, head south until you see PM. Danube will be in a 3 story building called Plaza i 95 on your left) They do have parking in front, and on the side of the building.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#11 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

Where is Danube? Fill us in on the kind of food, prices, etc. please?

If you'll look a few threads down in this forum, you'll see my review of Danube under the thread titled "Danube."

Kandy

#12 TreeSon

TreeSon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:18 PM

Thanks very helpful! Will have to try it out!

#13 Luh2

Luh2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:50 PM

You are so right, Kandy. And you are so missed. When are you back?
You can also go on the fake review and report it as I did, if you get a chance.
This is me, Luh. I made a new account as my old one ... forgot password, and it
went to my hacked email address. So here I am again!

#14 Luh2

Luh2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:02 PM

The other thing is that this person with the fake review, Jan Novak ...is from Panama and never posted anything on Tripadvisor before or since. And they say they monitor their site?

#15 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:17 PM

You are so right, Kandy. And you are so missed. When are you back?
You can also go on the fake review and report it as I did, if you get a chance.
This is me, Luh. I made a new account as my old one ... forgot password, and it
went to my hacked email address. So here I am again!

We'll be back on Sunday morning, Luh. Can't wait! I'm ready to come home now, but one more day until the travel back begins. Had a great Brazilian dinner tonight in Albuquerque; likely the best meal of the entire trip! Will talk with you soon. Big hugs...

Kandy

#16 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:37 AM

I posted a long and well-thought-out review of Danube on TA yesterday morning explaining that it was one of only about 5 special occasion restaurants on the island that I could really recommend and was very popular with locals who got tired of Yucatecan cuisine after a spell -- even though it IS wonderful.

Reviewed my dinner, mentioned that I was not affiliated with the restaurant etc.

Then, since I was a new poster and to make myself more legit, I also posted a review of a fancy Swiss hotel where we stayed for two nights last month. Also with lots of detail.

Well, this morning I get the message that my Bern review has been published. But nothing about the other review which was written before the Bern one.

I'm mad as goddamn hell. Because I don't think they're going to publish my Danube review which took me a good 20 minutes to write and edit, I might add. I wrote them they can damn well take that Bern review down or I was going to bring legal action and that I had only published it to show I was a legitimate traveler and they would give credence to my review of Danube, written earlier.

#17 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:32 AM

I did read on the site that some reviews take longer. I am guessing since Danube got flagged, one can expect them to hold and review every posting. I did El Moro too and it is up. I bet eventually they post.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#18 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:58 AM

They jolly well better or I'm taking that nice content I provided them on the Bern hotel and having it removed. They have 24 hours.

#19 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:07 AM

you can contact TA personal via the following email:support@tripadvisor.com

They have been pretty prompt in the past.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#20 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

That might be a good email to use to complain about the unfair treatment of this restaurant on their website. Having registered to post the reviews aforementioned, I note that ANYONE can flag a post as invalid/faked/wrong/spam. This being the case, it would be pretty easy for a competitor with just a modicum of internet savvy to go on the review page and flag a whole bunch of good reviews. So there is another possibility as to what happened with this restaurant's ratings.

I guess I'm getting a little obsessed about this. But I just like to try and see things through if I can and before I move onto something else. I think I've done all I can on this. Many thanks to anyone else reading this who can chip in with a review or complaint to the editors of TA.

I really want this place to still be open when my parents come at Christmas and it would be an excellent place to take them. Meaning I don't have to cook that night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users