• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dos margaritas

dos margaritas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:14 PM

We had some ladies cook for us and our friends from San Antonio last night. I haven't had food any better at any of the wonderful restaurants here and they are such nice people. It's fun to watch them make these wonderful dishes. You pay for the groceries (but they shop for you). They bring the groceries over and cook in your kitchen. We had snapper Veracruzana, pablano rice, wonderful refried black beans, quacamole, homemade salsas, garlic bread and fresh tortillas. It was all fantastic. They clean up the kitchen afterwards (much better than what the kitchen was when they arrived.) Their business is called Cooking Service by the Espinoza Sisters. They charge for the cost of groceries plus $8.00 US per person. Their names are Reina & Veronica Espinoza and they can be reached by cell phone 987-119-8900 or 987-117-2106. It is so slow on the Island right now. If you hear of anyone who would like this kind of service, please pass along the information. I would really like to see these hard working ladies make it.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:34 AM

That is dirt cheap. I don't see how they're making much money at that rate unless it's a large group. I know you tipped well, however. And that makes all the diff in these hard times. Would you consider copying and pasting your post and putting it also on the Food and Drink forum? I think there are a fair number of tourists staying in condos and rental villas that would really enjoy trying this service.

I'm putting them on the list for dinner at our place at least twice while my parents are on the isla for Christmas this year, too!

Thanks

#3 dos margaritas

dos margaritas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:22 PM

Sure! I would be glad to. I will also attach a menu.

#4 dos margaritas

dos margaritas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:11 PM

That is dirt cheap. I don't see how they're making much money at that rate unless it's a large group. I know you tipped well, however. And that makes all the diff in these hard times. Would you consider copying and pasting your post and putting it also on the Food and Drink forum? I think there are a fair number of tourists staying in condos and rental villas that would really enjoy trying this service.

I'm putting them on the list for dinner at our place at least twice while my parents are on the isla for Christmas this year, too!

Thanks

#5 dos margaritas

dos margaritas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:12 PM

Carey,

I've posted their info on the Food and Wine forum along with a partial menu if you'd like to take a look! Thanks for your suggestions!

#6 dos margaritas

dos margaritas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:53 PM

Carey,

I've posted their info on the Food and Wine forum along with a partial menu if you'd like to take a look! Thanks for your suggestions!

I was asked on the Food forum to post the Espinoza Sisters Cooking Service Menu along with the list they wrote for me of dishes that were left off of the original menu. The additional dishes are in Spanish, but am sure many of you can translate into English. I was afraid I wouldn't do it justice. So, as requested, I'm attaching both the original menu and the additional items in spanish so they will both be in the same spot.

Attached Files

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

I used the cooking services of the Espinoza sisters 6 times over Christmas. They really made for such a lovely evening. They bring some stuff ahead and prepare some there. They serve the courses beginning with an appetizer. They clean up just beautifully afterwards.

Perfect service. Very friendly and attentive but stayed very much in the background. Food was just delicious. Their conchinita pibil, sopa de lima and pescado veracruzana were stand outs for me. I must get them in to try some of their other specialities.

Highly recommend this service. Great for vacationers with a condo or house rental and, if you live here, it's a lovely way to treat yourself to dinner with friends in the comfort of your own home.

#8 dos margaritas

dos margaritas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

I used the cooking services of the Espinoza sisters 6 times over Christmas. They really made for such a lovely evening. They bring some stuff ahead and prepare some there. They serve the courses beginning with an appetizer. They clean up just beautifully afterwards.

Perfect service. Very friendly and attentive but stayed very much in the background. Food was just delicious. Their conchinita pibil, sopa de lima and pescado veracruzana were stand outs for me. I must get them in to try some of their other specialities.

Highly recommend this service. Great for vacationers with a condo or house rental and, if you live here, it's a lovely way to treat yourself to dinner with friends in the comfort of your own home.

Carey,

I am SO GLAD that you enjoyed their service. How did you get in touch with them? I just had post saying that they couldn't contact them. They cooked for us for our New Years Eve party and it was spectacular! We ate leftovers for a few days after that. Made my life so much easier because we had a house full of guests. Just love those girls!

Sherrie
(Dos Margaritas)

#9 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

Carey, I am planning to use this service for one evening meal for company coming to the island to visit. I would assume you tip the ladies at the conclusion of the evening - and if so, what would you recommend? It will be for 4 - 6 people.

Valli

#10 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

Carey, I am planning to use this service for one evening meal for company coming to the island to visit. I would assume you tip the ladies at the conclusion of the evening - and if so, what would you recommend? It will be for 4 - 6 people.

Yes I tipped them 20% and was very glad to do it. They seemed quite happy with that. And I felt it was fair considering they not only cooked it and brought it but they served it and completely cleaned up my kitchen afterwards, packed away the left overs, the works.

They have a whole menu that they can send you via email. All meals include guacamole and chips and pico de gallo as a starter.

I had the fajitas one night. Really good
Veracruz style fish one night -- exceptionally good
conchinita pibil -- exceptionally good (had that twice)
sopa de lima -- exceptionally good (can be had as an appetizer or entree) had that every time it was that good
enchiladas -- good

My choices were limited by my Dad's food allergies and sensitive stomach but I'd also like to try: their tamales, their garlic shrimp served with rice and steamed vegtables, the chimichangas, the panuchos, the pollo pibil, the shrimp quesadillas and the fish soup.

I suggest that whatever you order for the entree, you also get the sopa de lima as an appetizer and then you'll have it for the dinner with some left over for the next two days.

You will also probably have some leftovers depending on what you order. If it can be reheated, they seem to make extra and leave a lot behind. Something that must be freshly fried, they'll try to be more accurate< i'm sure. I couldn't order anything deep fried because of my father so don't know about that. There were some stir fried fajitas left over but not a lot.

Have fun! These ladies really make having a dinner party a pleasure. (They even have a special menu for kids).

The first time I used them I invited two old hands to come and judge the food. These were women who are both excellent cooks and have lived on the island for more than 20 years each so they know good yucatecan cooking when they taste it. The Sisters passed with flying colors with the cooking being judged as both 'excellent' and 'very authentic...the real thing'.

#11 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

Carey, thank you for sharing the excellent information. The 2 kids joining us are 14, but very adventurous, both have travelled extensively throughout Asia, Mexico,etc. I already decided on the soup as well, and just deciding on the main course - leaning toward the Veracruz fish or the shrimp. I also love the idea that they pack the leftovers and do the clean up. Really makes for a great evening and I will be more than pleased to tip 20%. I will definitely report on the experience.

Valli

#12 dos margaritas

dos margaritas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

The best way to get in touch with them now (I just spoke with Reina about two minutes ago) is to call or text her at 9871198900 or from the U.S. 011-52-1-9871198900 or use the following email patodaddy@hotmail.com. Text or phone is best though. Please let me know if you can't reach them and I will get in touch with them. Every time we use their services I am just amazed at how good the food is and love how my kitchen is cleaner than when they arrived. Let us know how it goes!

Dos Margaritas

#13 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:24 AM

The best way to get in touch with them now (I just spoke with Reina about two minutes ago) is to call or text her at 9871198900 or from the U.S. 011-52-1-9871198900 or use the following email patodaddy@hotmail.com. Text or phone is best though. Please let me know if you can't reach them and I will get in touch with them. Every time we use their services I am just amazed at how good the food is and love how my kitchen is cleaner than when they arrived. Let us know how it goes!

Dos Margaritas

Valli

#14 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

I emailed using the address Carey provided in a previous post and received an immediate response, so had no problems making contact. Have a meeting scheduled for next week to discuss menu, etc., and I am looking forward to giving them a try.

Glad you had no problem reaching Karla, Valli. I think you will enjoy using these ladies. They are very clean, extremely pleasant. And they are good cooks! It really is awfully nice just lounging around with your guests instead of running back and forth to the kitchen. And let's not forget cleaning up afterwards.

Hiring them is also so great for the local economy. To give you an example, one of the sisters, Reina, told me she used to work as a on-call cook at one of the oceanfront condo developments which shall remain nameless. She had a bad moped accident and couldn't work for a number of months and when she went to try and get her job back, they wouldn't take her on again. So she is making a new business for herself -- and deserves success, both of them-- as they are talented cooks as well as efficient and thorough.

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

It has been brought to my attention and confirmed by some of the parties involved that this business is in flux right now. It appears that the cooking component has gone in one direction and management in another. I'm sure it will all work out very soon but in the interim I would wait for another update before contracting services with these ladies. I will update as soon as I hear from Reina directly.

#16 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

It has been brought to my attention and confirmed by some of the parties involved that this business is in flux right now. It appears that the cooking component has gone in one direction and management in another. I'm sure it will all work out very soon but in the interim I would wait for another update before contracting services with these ladies. I will update as soon as I hear from Reina directly. She is the cooking talent and I reached out to her less than an hour ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users