Do not Rent Scooters-Another fatality

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:49 AM

"Personal Area Expert Services, the Forensic Medical Service (Semefo), and the Attorney General, on the island, said the foreign cruiser Ralph Todd Hendrix, who died on impact against rocks lost control of the motorcycle on which he was traveling the east coast of the island, did not show signs of alcohol consumption, and that his death was caused by internal damage caused by the strong impact.

Contrary to what was assumed during the first hours of the unfortunate accident, Ralph Todd Hendrix, 58-year-old native of Missouri, United States, had not ingested alcoholic beverages, so this was discarded as the main cause of his death.

Juan Carlos Vázquez García, medical examiner of the Forensic Medical Service (Semefo), announced that the cause of death of the tourist was because he suffered an injury in the strong impact when projected against a rocks, causing fractured ribs, causing a secondary pneumothorax.

That is, due to impact, he broke some ribs, and these punctured his lungs and heart, which led to Todd Hendrix death.

In another aspect, elements of the area of ​​Expert Services reported that the motorcycle which was traveling, not suffered any mechanical failure, so it was considered that the alien lost control driving unit, in which was accompanied by Dawn Hendrix, leading them to fall to the sea side of the island's east coast, 100 meters from the spa Chen Rio, south to north at about 42,100 km towards Mezcalitos.

It should be mentioned that the accident occurred last Thursday afternoon, when Ralph Todd Hendrix, 58 years old, lost control of the motorcycle Honda, type Active, black, license plates 9CUX2/QROO owned the car rental "Punta Norte", who rented the car down from cruise shipping company Carnival Triumph, which is why the authorities and the United States consul continued to make the necessary arrangements to transport the body to its place of origin . "

Translated from local paper

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

I am pretty sure I saw this couple at the Rasta bar. Why I remember them, don't know.

They sat to our right, and had Cokes.

I guess I remember them because they seem to be enjoying the sites, and crazy surf that day.

I remember seeing them leave...they both had scooters. I was thinking, it is so much easier to ride with you both on the same scooter...but it is a choice that everybody makes.

I also remember so much wanting to tell everybody, rent 4 wheels...skip the wind in your hair, as most of us know...after about 10 miles it gets old, and hard.

My thoughts of comfort to his wife, and family.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 Glasspassions

Glasspassions

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

My friend and I were on the scene and did CPR on Mr. Hendrix. We are used to controlled circumstances in a hospital setting, so it was an emotionally difficult battle to loose. We struggle to find our purpose in the being there, other than hoping that it provided some comfort to the family that there were people there who cared and tried, and they were not alone. They continue to be in the forefront of our minds and hearts.

#4 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:49 PM

R

#5 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:50 PM

This makes me so sad. Thanks for doing what you could, Glasspassions. Paula is so right, 4 wheels.

RIP, Mr. Hendrix.

#6 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:02 AM

I cannot say it often enough or loud enough - DO NOT RENT THE SCOOTERS -- it is just not worth your life. A long time ago, I posted a rather long post about my own scooter accident, on January 1, 2000 (an easy date to remember, but not so fondly). Long story, but sad outcome - 7 broken ribs, 4 broken in more than 1 place; one punctured lung, 1 punctured spleen, $19,000 Med-Evac airlift back to the States, 12 days in the hospital, and a lifetime of back pain - I had to give up golf entirely, as I can no longer make more than about a half backswing without pain. All because I thought I knew how to ride a scooter, and I was stupid enough to rent one. I've learned from my mistake, will you? DO NOT RENT THE SCOOTERS!!!

Many here have read about the unfortunate diving incident recently, and some have responded, "Well of course - diving is an inherently dangerous sport." But if you compare Diving fatalities on Cozumel with Scooter fatalities over the last decade, you'll find that Scooter fatalities outnumber Diving fatalities by about a factor of 10. If you want to rent a vehicle for a tour of the Island, make sure it has 4 wheels.

#7 4aGoodCoz

4aGoodCoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Travel, food, family and friends.

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:32 AM

Just want to share/send my condolences to the Hendrix family. Such a tragedy. I will also say this to anyone who might still be entertaining the idea of renting a scooter...don't. We are both experienced motorcycle enthusiasts here in the states and have logged many thousands of miles of riding, but we would NEVER dream of renting a scooter/motorcycle on Coz. The traffic patterns, roads, out-of-town drivers (I mean tourists)and sometimes (not in the case of the latest accident) alcohol are a lethal mix. Believe me, we have a blast on Coz on four wheels! Be safe!
Christie
"I have to go, I feel I’m sinkin'. I just don’t know, but I can’t stop thinkin'...Mexico." - Firefall

#8 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:22 AM

The other part is that for the price of the two scooters they rented, they could have rented a car. Sad result.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

I still have nightmares over some of the accidents scenes I have come upon, and tried to offer some assistance, or comfort when that was all that was left to do.

Everybody involved carries those tragic memories forwards.

4 wheels, 4 wheels, 4 wheels...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 Lillianrenee

Lillianrenee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:53 PM

Todds Wife Is a Good Friend Of Ours ,, He , Is Not from Missouri ,, But From New Orleans , Louisiana ` Also ,, He was Only 48 NOT 58 ,, I guess I felt The Need to Set this Record Straight In case Anyone Read This That May know Him ,,, Thank You to The People Who tried to Help ,, They had only been Married One Year ~~~

#11 Lillianrenee

Lillianrenee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:54 PM

Thank You SOOO Much ! I will Tell Dawn when we go To His Visitation Today ~~~ GOD Bless ~~

#12 Lillianrenee

Lillianrenee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:56 PM

They are Advide 4 wheeler & Bike Riders & Are use to Enjoying The Scenery via This kind of Transportation ,, So It wasn't about The Money ~~

#13 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:10 AM

Just because you know how to drive a motorcycle does not mean you know how to drive a scooter. I had a motorcycle license, and several years experience with a smaller motorcycle (a Honda 200 cc bike) before my Moped Accident. Because I was experienced with a Motorcycle, I assumed that the Moped would be no problem; I was (sadly) mistaken. The Mopeds are designed differently, with a much higher center of gravity, thus less stable. And driving a motorcycle (or even a scooter or moped) on well paved streets in the States is no preparation for driving one on Cozumel, with poor paving, lots of potholes & loose gravel (especially on the East Side), and traffic with large numbers of tourists (not all of them completely sober), not looking out for the Moped Drivers. Yes, you'll see lots of locals who drive the Mopeds - but these are people with a LOT more experience on these particular vehicles than you, and, unlike most tourists, they know where they are going, and what streets or roads to either avoid or exercise extra caution on. Please, just don't risk it. Yes, the odds are clearly high that you'll make it safely, or at least without a fatality. But is the small chance of a death or major injury worth it? Rent 4 wheels, or take a Taxi.

#14 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:05 PM

There is alot going on in Coz on the road, so a little protection goes a wrong way. I think the first trip or maybe the second I went the wrong way up a one way. Could have been a pancake on a scooter. Now its nice to sip coffee and munch on a pasty with the locals at Zermatt and listed to them yell at the tourists who actually JUST got in their rental and turn the wrong way at the corner. I smile and shake my head at their stupidity.... all the while hoping no one remembered me doing that.....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#15 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:59 PM

Local friend (who owns and drives a scooter) told me the recent paving job on Melgar of the swallows is a MAJOR hazard. When it rains it turns very slick. Right after she told me I saw a wipeout there (when it was wet) that didn't look fatal but definitely injurious. Be careful out there.

Me? I walk or take a bus/colectivo or taxi.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users