19 replies to this topic

#1 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Diving

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:09 PM

Can anyone suggest a good Hair Salon for the wife? Will be living on the North side of the Island.

Thanks

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

The best cutter/stylist I've found on the island was rec.'d by Paula. Her name is Sandra and she's moving her shop back to either right across the street from or right next door to Kelly's Bar and Grill next week. So she would be on Avenida 10 between Salas and Calle 1 either right next door to or across the street from Kelly's which is in the middle of that block on the west side of the street.

She only speaks a tiny bit of English but if your wife has a cut she likes or a photo, she can either follow the photo or follow the cut. The price is right, too. But I go to her because I think she has some talent there. Another lady a lot of people like is Carolyn over in Corpus Christi who is American and a very nice lady. I can't remember the exact street she's on but I'll bet someone will chime in with that info in a day or two.

#3 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:31 PM

it's carole from island spa, now called hair studio by carole. she has moved her salon (just last month) to calle 15 and 65, just around the corner from euan carpenteria.
i was going to clare for years before she left when carole took over her clientele and i like what she does so i stick with her. she is a little more expensive, 250 for a cut for LOCALS. but she does a good job and gives a wonderful scalp and neck massage when washing your hair!
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#4 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:54 AM

I'll second that vote for Carole at The Hair Studio. Driving south on 65, go through the intersection with 11. The next right turn will be 15; turn. Her place is on the right just before the bodega - sign is on the gate. Great cut, wonderful lady!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:45 AM

I know this is a redundant on posts...but, I just came from her NEW shop.

She is now inside where Kelly's Tavern on 10th. Parking can be had across the street in the lot.

She is working at a Spa during the day so her appointment start after 5 pm during the week, or by appointment.

She does take appointments for the week end.

Her phone number to make appointment is: 987-103-0787

Everybody has their favorite hairdresser. I like Sandra because she can do a precision cut on short hair. It doesn't look like you just went through a weed whacker, or one of those nasty "chunk cuts"...

So, seems like we shall all be well groomed by some talented people.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for the responses does she color hair as well?

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:07 AM

If your asking about Sandra, yes she does color, and highlights. I am going in for a haircut this week, so will get the scoop on the pricing.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:58 AM

Fantastic haircut from Sandra again. Got it cut once in Atlanta 4X the price and they could not even follow her cut.

#9 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

If your asking about Sandra, yes she does color, and highlights. I am going in for a haircut this week, so will get the scoop on the pricing.

Thanks for the info I await your pricing email.

Mike

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:43 PM

Sandra's pricing for services:

Hair cut women 90p's
Hair cut men 60p's
Hair color
Short length hair 200p's
Medium length hair (to shoulders) 290p's
Long length hair (below shoulders) 360p's
Hair style (special day) 220p's
Professional Make up 260p's
Acrylic nails 250p's new set (sorry, don't know about fills)
Pedicures 100p's
Manicure 90p's
Eyebrow wax 60p's
Mustache wax 50p's
Under arm wax 70ps
Bikini wax 150p's
Brazilian wax 250p's

Sandra is working during the day in the Spa at Puerta Maya which is open to the public...if you can find someplace you can park.

Salon number: 987-115-2886
Sandra's cell: 987-103-0787

Anonymous

#11 jsmflake

jsmflake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel
    Travel
    Gardening
    Reading

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

Does anyone know if Sandra or anyone else on the island does a shellac/no-chip/gelish type manicure? That is all I use anymore, and I will need someone to remove the old polish and do a new manicure while I am on the island next winter. These are wonderful, and end up growing out instead of chipping off your nails. They make the nails so much stronger too. Hoping I can find this service on the island.

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

I asked if she did Gel (really the best) but alas, she said NO.

What we really need here in TRAINED artisans who can do all of the applications, and treatments that are available back home.

Idea for a business here...think about it!!!

Anonymous

#13 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:04 AM

I'm such a bearer of bad tidings today I should stick a sock in it. But I can't resist.....

I never got pedicures or painted toe nails until I moved here. And I love having pretty feet now!

However, I did not know that if you leave toenail polish on for too long, it can be a leading cause of toenail fungus. I had a particularly good job done about 6 months ago. The job lasted forever. But when I went to remove it finally after I don't know how many weeks, the big toe on one foot was messed up. Nail peeled almost completely off and kind of flakey. Looked it up on the internet and determined that it could easily be caused by sealing up the nail and worse in the tropics.

So I have spent the last 6 months trying to treat this, filing down the nail and then coating it with an presription polish that is supposed to work but reportedly doesn't half the time. Very difficult to get rid of this once you get it. I will see what happens when the nail grows out completely which looks to be another 6 weeks or so. I've been treating this nonstop for 6 months!!!

So---don't leave the polish on your nails too long down here like I stupidly did.

#14 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:05 AM

Does anyone know if Sandra or anyone else on the island does a shellac/no-chip/gelish type manicure? That is all I use anymore, and I will need someone to remove the old polish and do a new manicure while I am on the island next winter. These are wonderful, and end up growing out instead of chipping off your nails. They make the nails so much stronger too. Hoping I can find this service on the island.

Check with 'Lady' at Shampoo on Avenida 5 between Salas and Calle 3 east side of the street. She does beautiful work and it is possible she's trained in this technique.

#15 jsmflake

jsmflake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel
    Travel
    Gardening
    Reading

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone!

What I have been getting is the shellac polish, but different companies call it different things. It just requires the special shellac base coat, polish, and top coat. Anyone that can do a manicure can do this too. What is special about it is that each coat needs to dry under ultraviolet lights before the next coat is put on. That would be the special equipment necessary to do the manicure other than the shellac and remover. The nice thing about it is that when you leave, your nails are dry and the coating is very hard. It also involves a special remover which is placed on a small pad on your nail and wrapped in a light foil, with about 15 minutes wait time before removing the polish. My manicurist has heated gloves to speed up the wait time!
Since it takes longer to do the manicure, it is expensive. I pay $18 for a regular manicure, and $38 for the shellac. But it lasts me at least a month instead of a week if I'm lucky with a regular manicure.

I mentioned to my manicurist about the job opportunities this might avail her in Cozumel, but she declined. She is a young Russian sweetie, and her husband won the lottery to immigrate to the US about 2 years ago. She has no intention of leaving!

Carey, I'll come with a regular manicure,and check with Lady when I get down there.

#16 Vanda

Vanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the posts here specially on Sandra. Just moved here to Cozumel since a couple of months ago and getting married soon to my fiance. Haven't had my hair cut yet since I moved here and wanted to know as much tips as I could on a good but reasonably priced hairdresser even though not that much in understanding English, as I hardly speak that much spanish. I'll definitely try her soon because I dont want to risk a botched job on my long hair.

#17 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:41 AM

Sandra's pricing for services:

Hair cut women 90p's
Hair cut men 60p's
Hair color
Short length hair 200p's
Medium length hair (to shoulders) 290p's
Long length hair (below shoulders) 360p's
Hair style (special day) 220p's
Professional Make up 260p's
Acrylic nails 250p's new set (sorry, don't know about fills)
Pedicures 100p's
Manicure 90p's
Eyebrow wax 60p's
Mustache wax 50p's
Under arm wax 70ps
Bikini wax 150p's
Brazilian wax 250p's

Sandra is working during the day in the Spa at Puerta Maya which is open to the public...if you can find someplace you can park.

Salon number: 987-115-2886
Sandra's cell: 987-103-0787

Thanks my wife is happy again thanks for the info
LSS96

#18 exierooster

exierooster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:15 AM

One of my friend had visited carole's studio for highlights and a haircut and found her quite professional. My friend loved her services and suggested it to me. But I wanted to know if carole has started any new hair services like hair extensions and hair weaves. I would really love to get some Professional Hair Extensions at her studio and any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

#19 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

If you want to contact Caroe Crespi, "Hair Studio by Carole" she has a FB page.

https://www.facebook...arole.crespin.9

As for Sandra, she seems to have fallen off the face of the earth again.

Anonymous

#20 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:51 PM

The shellac nails are called Gelish (pronounced hellish) here. You can get them a couple of places I know of. One is Bliss Day Spa on the square right up from Casa Denis. They have massage chairs with the bowl for your feet and, if you're local, the Gelish is $200mx I think. Another place that does it is right across the street from La Cuisine and there is also one near MayAir that I'm pretty sure does them. Don't know the pricing on the last two but a little more expensive than Bliss Day I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users