• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 cgpcowpoke22

cgpcowpoke22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:34 AM

So you would say the Iberostar over the Occidental Grand? We haven't even looked at the Iberostar yet if you don't mind telling me a little about the place.

Thanks

#22 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:40 AM

I'm sure you're familiar with the term 'money-laundering'? A fictional illustration of it in action is the hit tv show Breaking Bad where the prof turned high qual crystal meth cook's wife has just purchased a car wash to launder the unbelievable amount of cash that is pouring in every week.

As to investing overseas? Mexico is looking very good indeed right now, economically speaking, compared to the rest of the world. Mexico's economy, unlike Europe and the US is not tanking.

Carey I just started watching season 1 on Netflix. How about a spoiler alert next time? :(

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#23 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:50 AM

Sorry. But that's only a TINY subplot and doesn't involve any of the major action elements. Couldn't resist mentioning it as it was a perfect illustration of the subject I was addressing. You'll survive, won't you?

#24 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:13 AM

Sorry. But that's only a TINY subplot and doesn't involve any of the major action elements. Couldn't resist mentioning it as it was a perfect illustration of the subject I was addressing. You'll survive, won't you?

I guess, but you might want to check anything I send you for castor beans for a while...... :rolleyes:

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#25 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:19 AM

Hey I always dress for dinner in town. Shirt with a collar and everything. I even bought a nice snap brim hat someone on here picked out for me, so I am now a fashion plate. I am going for the the sugar plantation owner look. I even have two colors of sandals to accessorize. .. Las Ventanas B404

LMFAO - now thats funny, but I was thinking more like Panama Jack!

Edit: post pics!
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#26 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:35 AM

So you would say the Iberostar over the Occidental Grand? We haven't even looked at the Iberostar yet if you don't mind telling me a little about the place.

Thanks

My take on Ibero is:
Pros:
Cute rooms in smaller concrete buildings. You get a little porch outside your door.
Nice central pool with swim up bar.
Terrific beach with a beach bar, chairs and palm trees larger than grand (See cons on beach too)
Food was better than Grand, generally. It was still AI food and nothing like some choices in town, but good. Ibero had a fajita bar running fresh fajitas.
Nice star friends staff. They don't bug you but they do some cute stuff.

Cons:
Furthest south of town.
Water access from beach sucks. Rocky iron shore. No one walks into water. You have to walk out the dock and enter via a sort of stair ladder thing.
Cell service on Sprint at least was poor. I used the BB to get my email.
At the time, Wifi sucked out near the pool and beach. I think they had an equipment issues, but you had to go to the lobby. It also was pay wifi.
Personal peeve: they charge other dive ops to pick up there a monthly fee regardless of number of divers.
The layout of these little quad rooms is confusing as heck. Coming back from eating it is WAY easy to get lost wandering around on these pretty curvy paths.

That being said, my wife I think liked the grand more.

The grand has a little longer walk to the beach/breakfast area from the rooms. (Longer if you leave your computer in your room and your op says we will wait while you run to the room....)
The grand has timeshare people. They were nice really. We did the thing first time and got booze and shirts. Next stay they didn't even hit us up for it.
The grand seems a little more sedate. Now we are divers, so we turned in early. However, we could hear the party at Allegro across the jungle.
Grounds at the grand are very nice.
The beach at the grand is more a narrow strip between the wall of the pool and the water. It was fine though and the shore was not rocky so you could walking in and out which was nice.
Friends we had with us parked on the beach backed up again the back of the pool wall by the bar and the Santos handed down drinks all day. They were happy as can be. They could also watch us coming in on the boat from the lunch area.

That's my take.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#27 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:37 AM

As a side note, both CMC and SB have breaking bad references going on. Weird....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#28 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:53 AM

The grand has timeshare people. They were nice really. We did the thing first time and got booze and shirts.

LOL!

However, we could hear the party at Allegro across the jungle.

LOL! Man the allegro was dead dead dead and quiet labor day week!

Personal peeve: they charge other dive ops to pick up there a monthly fee regardless of number of divers.

I heard this about the allegro also and noone ever even tried to charge me... My question was - how do they try to assess the charge?
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#29 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:18 AM

LOL!

LOL! Man the allegro was dead dead dead and quiet labor day week!

I heard this about the allegro also and noone ever even tried to charge me... My question was - how do they try to assess the charge?

Well when we were at the Grand, the line was Allegro was the Occidental party property.

The charge is made to the Dive op. We were picking up there in July and the little guy on the dock made Alison display her receipt that she paid. In my humble opinion, I paid to use the amenities including the dock when I stay there and it is BS to charge the OP. The fee is not matched to number of divers, so if one guy that month wants to go diving with a small op for one day, the op might actually lose money just to pick him up after paying the monthly fee.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#30 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:52 AM

I totally agree - that dock is the property of the hotel, isn't it? If so they have no right to charge, and I was ready to refuse to pay the fee.

#31 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:15 PM

I totally agree - that dock is the property of the hotel, isn't it? If so they have no right to charge, and I was ready to refuse to pay the fee.

That's why they charge the op. They get the money and you don't know any better. The small ops get shafted because they really need to pick up there even if it doesn't make financial sense in the short term developing clients does in the long term. I haven't heard of any op that charges the divers from Ibero a surcharge, so ALL divers help to pay the Ibero fee just like gas for the boat or anything else.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#32 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:21 PM

That sucks

#33 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

That sucks

Exactly.....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#34 kansas diver

kansas diver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Diving, skiing, travel

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:28 PM

I have always been told over the years that the dock fee is a fee for the national marine area that most all the dive sites are in. Same up at the Aura/Sabor docks.

#35 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:43 PM

you are charged a fee for the park, which includes your wrist band. The dock fees are charged to OTHER dive op's because they did NOT invest a dime into building and maintaining the pier where you are being picked up from.

So, why should the other dive op's benefit from somebody else's hard found cash investment? If YOU choose to use somebody else to dive with, and what them to pick you up...that is YOUR choice, and it comes with a very small price tag for YOUR convenience.

Did I understand this right "Friends we had with us parked on the beach backed up again the back of the pool wall by the bar and the Santos handed down drinks all day".

I am sure your friends tipped well, but I am not understand "parked"...they where NOT guest of the hotel?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#36 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:09 PM

Yeah, if they were not guests of the hotel and got free drinks all day that's taking away money from the hotel. Really bad form if that was the case.

#37 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

I think the perception of being nickeled and dimed rubs me the wrong way. If the dive operator would just ad $2 freakin bucks to their package price across the board and STFU about the charges, the entire thing would be transparent to the guest which would make for an all around better vacation experience...

#38 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:47 PM

you are charged a fee for the park, which includes your wrist band. The dock fees are charged to OTHER dive op's because they did NOT invest a dime into building and maintaining the pier where you are being picked up from.

So, why should the other dive op's benefit from somebody else's hard found cash investment? If YOU choose to use somebody else to dive with, and what them to pick you up...that is YOUR choice, and it comes with a very small price tag for YOUR convenience.

Did I understand this right "Friends we had with us parked on the beach backed up again the back of the pool wall by the bar and the Santos handed down drinks all day".

I am sure your friends tipped well, but I am not understand "parked"...they where NOT guest of the hotel?

Yeah, if they were not guests of the hotel and got free drinks all day that's taking away money from the hotel. Really bad form if that was the case.

HOLY miscommunications....

First, it aint the same as aura/sabor. Sanddoller build the pier and can do what they please. Charging people is fine with me. And they charge the divers. Nothing to do with the park permit.

Second at Ibero, as a guest I have paid to use the ibero dock. Just the same as the ibero driveway. I am allowed to stand on that dock all day long. In fact I have to use it to go swimming. If I want to step off the dock onto a boat, I think I should be able to do that. The fact that they want to steer me to the op they get a cut from. I would also object if they started charging my (if I had one) taxi guy to pick me up on the driveway instead of their choice of taxis. It say ALL INCLUSIVE, I think it should be all inclusive. If the dock isn't included, that should be prominently posted. They are trying to discourage other ops and make extra money without disclosing it to their guests and that is wrong.

Third, my non-diving friends were staying there with us at the grand. The grand beach back up against the wall of the raised pool. The pool bar guy (Santos when we were there) has his feet at the level of your head on the beach. We all paid and they drank all day long. So they were happy when we got off the boat. Seriously were you thinking I smuggled people into the grand to drink? That would interesting. "We crawled onto the beach and hide out dive gear under a palapa, then low crawled to the bar. After a day of drinking, we slipped into the inky black waters and no one was the wiser that we had infiltrated the AI for free drinks.... Muhhahahaha....." :ph34r:

I forgot, last we were at the Grand they didn't have those gauche AI bracelets....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#39 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:49 PM

makes complete sense, but remember your not in Kansas Dorthy.

The main reason that it is not transparent is because in "most" cases hotels have contracts with DO's(dive operators) Each DO provides to the hotel a commission back to the hotel for each diver who books.

So, for a DO with NO CONTRACT to come to the pier to pick up guest a charge has been assessed to use the pier. Out of the charge the hotel still gets their commission, the on site DO who is responsible for, and maintaining the pier gets a small sliver of gratuity.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#40 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:49 PM

I think the perception of being nickeled and dimed rubs me the wrong way. If the dive operator would just ad $2 freakin bucks to their package price across the board and STFU about the charges, the entire thing would be transparent to the guest which would make for an all around better vacation experience...

That is why ibero charges the dive op, so if they want, THEY have to nickel and dime you and the Ibero isnt seen as taking your money....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users