#41 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

makes complete sense, but remember your not in Kansas Dorthy.

The main reason that it is not transparent is because in "most" cases hotels have contracts with DO's(dive operators) Each DO provides to the hotel a commission back to the hotel for each diver who books.

So, for a DO with NO CONTRACT to come to the pier to pick up guest a charge has been assessed to use the pier. Out of the charge the hotel still gets their commission, the on site DO who is responsible for, and maintaining the pier gets a small sliver of gratuity.

Well it is completely transparent at the wyndham. (is it still the wyndham?) You wanna use the dock, shell out a couple bucks. The "hidden" crappy way ibero does it in harmful to the idea of many small operators that most of us love about Coz. It is also, to my knowledge, the only jerky place to pull that trick. I could see if it was a dive service pulling in and soliciting business, but if I contracted the boat, why can't I step off the dock onto my boat?

Are the entitled to do it? Well sure. Do I like it? No. It's sneaky, I think to hide it from the guest and make the dive op the bad guy if they charge to recover the extra cost.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#42 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:02 AM

I would think of it as taking your own bottle of wine to a restaurant (the restaurant does serve wine, just not the brand you like)so to accommodate you, they only charge you a "corking fee".

You get what you want, and they are paid for you using their wait staff to open the bottle and serve, and the glasses to serve them in (lets forget for the time being the busboy, and the dishwasher).

Of course, I have heard people complain about being charged a "corking fee" too.

Be happy, your in paradise, and diving some some great reefs:)

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#43 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:00 PM

I would think of it as taking your own bottle of wine to a restaurant (the restaurant does serve wine, just not the brand you like)so to accommodate you, they only charge you a "corking fee".

You get what you want, and they are paid for you using their wait staff to open the bottle and serve, and the glasses to serve them in (lets forget for the time being the busboy, and the dishwasher).

Of course, I have heard people complain about being charged a "corking fee" too.

Be happy, your in paradise, and diving some some great reefs:)

Well there was no one helping me on the diveboat and I didn't dirty the dock anymore than I was entitled to anyway. I can step off the dock and land in the water and that's included, but if I step off and land on a boat, the boat has to pay?

I don't think you are getting it. If the Ibero said to use our dock is $3 per day, I would be fine with that. They aren't, they are charging the boat. Sure maybe Dive Paradise or Aldora or some other larger OP can, perhaps, easily absorb the fee by spreading it among their many paying divers that month. For a smaller op, the fee is more substantial, percentage-wise. Again it is a set fee, not a per use or per diver fee. One fee for one diver that month or picking up 8 everyday. Hence, should the methodology catch on at other establishments, it could reduce the number of smaller ops and leave us with less choice between a few bigger ops.

To use your example, you wouldn't pay the corking fee, the vintner would. Hello Ernest and Julio, could you please write a check to Sam's Taco stand and we will let people bring your wine in here this month. If you don't they will have to pick some other wine that has written us a check.

Should old Ernest and Julio pay that monthly corking fee for you to be allowed to drink their wine there, then the next time I go to Mega and buy some of Gallo's wine, I am paying a surcharge to cover you drinking Gallo as Sam's Taco. Worse than that, if Ernest and Julio DID pay, the fellers down at Sam's Taco wouldn't even tell you, they would just smile and pour your wine knowing they pocketed some of your and everyone's money.

See the difference?

If I was still renting and chose to stay at the Ibero, I would swim out and climb the d#%^ ladder on principle if my op was going to have to pay for just me that month! :angry: <That's my mad face... I could probably strap on all my stuff and have Carlos launch me at the beach on the way back, so I would skip to shore.....

One side note in Ibero: they do, I think have the closest bar to the end of the dock, so that's good....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#44 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:36 PM

okay... "WHAT EVER"

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#45 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:39 PM

Seriously, seven different analogies and a fair trade argument and an EMOTICON and all you are gonna give me is a "whatever" in all caps? You could at least say it was an amusing analogy even if I didn't change you mind! :(

And I am a little slow and have always wanted to ask, what's up with the mayo thing?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#46 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:14 PM

She loves Miracle Whip and the "whatever" means you have made your point well. It is a dumb rule and def hurts the small shops. If you notice, most of the tourists in the low "help we need business!" season are divers. But the powers that be don't give a $hit about us anymore. It's all cruisers cruisers, cruisers.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#47 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

My original point was that the various dive operators should account for dock fee use in their online package prices whether the diver is staying at a resort that charges for use of the dock or not... That way it’s “included” and transperrant to the customer (we as the customer would not even know about a “dock fee” then). It just makes for better business and a better customer experience.
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#48 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:36 PM

Mark,

I don't think as a dive op you can single out people who stay at Ibero and have a two tier pricing. Additionally the op would have to 'guess' how many divers were going to be at Ibero and then divide it up. It is a monthly fee not related to number of divers. It might also make an op less attractive as you have to pay extra because you are Ibero. I think from the Op's point of view they have to eat it and add it to the general overhead.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users