• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chunter

chunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:36 AM

Do I need an fm3 to buy a car in cozumel and where is a good place to purchase one. Also heard tags are very expensive? is this a yearly expense.
New to this site and love it. We hope to have it together to move down in 2 years.

#2 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

Do I need an fm3 to buy a car in cozumel and where is a good place to purchase one. Also heard tags are very expensive? is this a yearly expense.
New to this site and love it. We hope to have it together to move down in 2 years.

Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#3 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:32 AM

You do need an FM3/2 to buy a car in Mexico if you are a foreigner and want it registered in your name. The yearly tags are quite reasonable and you have the option of buying insurance or not..? we have a mini van and the tags were about $45.oo...? the insurance is approx $300-$400 a year. much cheaper than in USA or Canada.
There are always cars parked on 15th between 15 and 20th with $$ signs $$ on them and phone numbers...usually never the price? check that all the paperwork is in the name of the person that you are buying it from if its a used car...get copies of their ID and a bill with their name and address on to be sure.
There is a VW dealer on corner of 30th and the airport road and at times they have some used cars? Good Luck!
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:18 PM

You must have an FM3 (you can not get an FM2 unless you apply for it AFTER 5 years of FM3's).

We only have VW on the island, right now.

Used cars....be very careful here.

First, used cars are expensive. Second, you will have no idea about the maintenance of the vehicle unless someone has done due diligences.

Cash is your most likely option for purchase anything here.

If you really find something used, take it FIRST to Auto Express and have the car gone over by Javier and his staff.

DO NOT PURCHASE A FOREIGN IMPORTED CAR.

Buy only bare basic cars here. Remember, getting things fixes is not easy, and will take time...perhaps a lot of time.

To register the car you will need copies of your passport, FM3, CFE bill to start on your side. To get plates you will need copies of the same thing. When I did this the first time, I hired somebody to help me...

Also, do not even consider NOT buying auto insurance.

If I where doing this for the first time, I would ask Monica to help me through this process.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 chunter

chunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:12 AM

You must have an FM3 (you can not get an FM2 unless you apply for it AFTER 5 years of FM3's).

We only have VW on the island, right now.

Used cars....be very careful here.

First, used cars are expensive. Second, you will have no idea about the maintenance of the vehicle unless someone has done due diligences.

Cash is your most likely option for purchase anything here.

If you really find something used, take it FIRST to Auto Express and have the car gone over by Javier and his staff.

DO NOT PURCHASE A FOREIGN IMPORTED CAR.

Buy only bare basic cars here. Remember, getting things fixes is not easy, and will take time...perhaps a lot of time.

To register the car you will need copies of your passport, FM3, CFE bill to start on your side. To get plates you will need copies of the same thing. When I did this the first time, I hired somebody to help me...

Also, do not even consider NOT buying auto insurance.

If I where doing this for the first time, I would ask Monica to help me through this process.

#6 chunter

chunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:18 AM

thanks for the info. who do you use for auto insurance? we both have older vehicles in the states and have just liability insurance. Do you need full coverage in coz? Also would like to know if health insurance is an option. It is not affordable here in the states. thanks again.

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:24 AM

if your planning on bringing foreign plated vehicles here (they can stay as long as your FM is current) then you will need to purchase international auto insurance.

The company we use is in the states is; International Insurance Group. http://www.iigins.com/

You will be given options of which Mexican company you would like to be insured with. We choose GNP (Grupo Nacional Provincial S.A.B).Our insurance runs about $173 USD's a year for liability insurance.

We do need to have the car current on registration, tags in the states. Some states will allow you to add basic insurance, and once you have Internationale coverage, you can cancel the policy in the states.
Our home state does not allow this option (they used to).

We used to also carry international health insurance, but found that with the cost, and the deductible being outrages ($5K) we elected to go with AXA medical insurance here.

I did research on who was the best medical insurance before I made my choice. I went to San Miguel Clinic, and CMC hospital to ask them which insurance company they felt provided the best service to the patient, and which was easiest, and fasting paying for them. They both picked AXA as the top performer.

I have had to use it, and found that it works very well, and once you figure out how to recover expenses, it covers everything.

My health policy runs about $1,800 per year ($500 usd deductible) for me. It covers emergency room visits, hospitalization, follow up doctors visits, prescriptions, laboratory, dental, and glasses. I can receive treatment at any facility in Mexico (some are set up to directly bill, some you need to collect the factura, and submit the expenses)

My husband travels, and he has the same insurance plus he has international coverage when he is outside of Mexico. His policy runs about $2,300 ($500 usd deductible). It is fluctuate depending on the peso exchange.

We met with Irma Cantarell(she's a broker) her office is on the corner of 11th, and 30th, upstairs. Irma speaks English, Kathy, her assistant does not.

Irma's email address is: irmacantarell@netscape.

I know that there is also a public health option, which is very inexpensive and perhaps someone who has it would have the details on that option as well.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:23 PM

My health police runs about $1,800 per year

Do they like stand by the fridge and say, "Madam, step away from the Hagen Daz. Celery is on the second shelf....) :P

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:43 PM

I am on the floor laughing so hard...Chief you got me good on that one.

Priceless...

Anonymous

#10 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:43 AM

Coz2Wonder: Totally unrelated to the topic but, love the new avatar! Have you sworn off MW?

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:47 AM

So really, the MW was JUST because she liked MW? No interesting story or something to go with it? Come on.....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:16 AM

road testing the avatar. I have had MW for so long, it feel odd to abandon it.

An upgrade was made to the MW jar when we had the possibility of Hurricane Paula. That's why it's swirling now, in the cross hairs of a hurricane.

CV, nope no story behind MW...We used to be able to get it here on the island, then one day it was gone...

Now, friends mule it in for me. I ration it out...I'm not kidding.

I wish I could find the Q&A I did with the insurance company on eligibility to purchase medical insurance (you do not need an FM3/2). However, I remember a requirement that states you do have to be in Mexico at least 6 months of the year, and it can be cumulative.

Maybe somebody can find it in the old posts, I was not successful.

Anonymous

#13 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:51 AM

Ah, well that helps with the hurricane thing. I couldn't put those together in my mind. So there is an import market for MW? Good to know if we bring a checked bag....B)

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#14 John D

John D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Boating, Hunting and Travel

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:14 PM

As said before you will need an FM2 or FM3. I bought my car in Cancun last month, it is a 2002 and is in very nice shape. I had to pay the final year of the regressive tax that totaled 2300 pesos but the tags were cheap (something like 400 or 500 pesos??). Google "carros usado Cozumel/Cancun/Merida/Playa Del Carmen" etc, that's how I found mine. I would take others advice though and be very careful buying a used car, maintenance is not high on the list for a lot of people. Also I would by a car you can get parts for here, (mine you can not) it can take a lot of time if they need to be ordered or imported. I had to order an extra key for my SUV, they told me six weeks.

BTW just an FYI you can now go directly to an FM2 if you own property.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users