37 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,072 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

My Mayan friend Mario, who works for a lot of Americans doing electrical and plumbing so hears a whole lot of stories, corroborates what we already knew -- lot of house break ins per usual at this time of the year. He added that people should take a careful look at the outside walls of their houses to see if there are any kinds of marks added. If you see something, erase it and be extra vigilant for awhile.

They are watching houses and marking them. They are making note of how many people are coming in and out until they know who is actually living there. I've said this before and I'll say it again. If you can't be on the island to watch your home, you should hire someone to go in and out a couple of times every day. And if you live here full time, keep that eye out for markings on your outside walls.

#2 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

That is creepy - and more than warrants having a property mgmt co watching out for you!
Christine.... .· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.
...Rita Mae Brown

#3 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:22 PM

I would go for the pit bull or Rottweiler (personal favorite) :P Mark on the wall all you want and then meet my anger little puppy dog
I can't stand people that steal :angry: and just because it is low season, low season happens every year at the same time.(on surprise)
Save some money and your pride and don't become a thief.
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:53 PM

I can't stand people that steal :angry: and just because it is low season, low season happens every year at the same time.(on surprise)
Save some money and your pride and don't become a thief.

With any luck, maybe they will be reading that the computer they stole.....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#5 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:39 AM

:D one could only hope
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,072 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:57 AM

To get this in perspective, I had my house robbed twice in the chi chi neighborhood where I lived in Winston-Salem, NC. It was a nice nabe of restored historic houses but it was very close to downtown and some not as nice areas.

It's the price you pay for city life anywhere in the world and why people move to the 'burbs, I guess. But if you want to live in any city, you need to have some street smarts.

I'm just giving out a heads up tip for fellow city dwellers that I was glad to get myself.

As I said, this kind of thing comes with the territory. And I for one am very grateful that, at least, I do not have to fear that I will be hurt or murdered if I make a misstep. Which was most certainly the case in a number of inner cities in which I've lived including Manhattan and San Francisco.

#7 meganmalexan

meganmalexan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:16 AM

My Mayan friend Mario, who works for a lot of Americans doing electrical and plumbing so hears a whole lot of stories, corroborates what we already knew -- lot of house break ins per usual at this time of the year. He added that people should take a careful look at the outside walls of their houses to see if there are any kinds of marks added. If you see something, erase it and be extra vigilant for awhile.

They are watching houses and marking them. They are making note of how many people are coming in and out until they know who is actually living there. I've said this before and I'll say it again. If you can't be on the island to watch your home, you should hire someone to go in and out a couple of times every day. And if you live here full time, keep that eye out for markings on your outside walls.

WOW.....yep, I have a mark on the ground with the number of people living in my house. It's fairly recent and it's painted. I'm so glad you posted this. I can't believe we're being marked for another break in. I'm really getting tired of this! I'm thinking I won't erase it, but change the #......any input on that would be greatly appreciated!

#8 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:26 AM

WOW
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,072 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:33 AM

That means they're watching your house. Any construction going on near you? The migrant 'chiapita' construction workers are fairly often the culprits. The local Mexicans get burned, too. It's not just foreigners if that makes you feel any better.

Think I'll go check in front of my house just out of curiosity.

Changing the number is an interesting idea. To like 8 people? Mario said to get rid of it. But then the watchers would have to start counting from scratch and if you can change the number so it doesn't look like its been altered, it might run them off as there are too many people there. On the other hand, they may be watching you while you do it.

It is kinda creepy, actually. But at least now you know what to look for.

Would you mind telling us the street you live on and between which cross streets? That way anyone within a four block radius of you can be put on alert as well.

#10 meganmalexan

meganmalexan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:57 AM

Hi! We are located on 10 bis sur.

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:58 AM

Hopefully it isn't an urban myth and the number is actually for which fogger truck is supposed to do your street.... :(

(I guess it would be bad form to hire a guy to sit in your house and kick the cr*p outta them when they come in?)

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,072 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:23 AM

A sting would be something to consider. Tell the policia the house has been marked and they might be willing to stake out the place while the people leave and 'go out to dinner.'

People do hire guards. You have to provide them with a hammaca, a bathroom, a tv and a place out of the rain but without access into your living quarters. I've heard only bad things about the various firms so far, however, from people who have used them.

Anyone had a good experience with a security firm on the island? Also they are very expensive.

An alarm system is something to consider. Doesn't Nemecio put those in? Or who did I read does that?

#13 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:28 AM

You should photograph any gang graffiti and quickly paint it over. I knew of one policeman in Cancun who was very fluent at reading "gang language", sort of a hobo code, but not standardized, varies from gang to gang. You can't blame the people from Chiapas, a big part of the problem are the children of the influx of people in the last 10-15 years. Chiapas gets the blame for the people of Tabasco, Campeche and Vera Cruz. Just like in Playa, each new development would bring in ten workers for every job created, the surge in construction of over built condos haven't helped local employment. A handful of new jobs and now many facing months of a bleak economy. Seven international flights this week leaves the airport dead, hotel occupancy struggles to stay at 20% only because an extra 1,000 empty rooms don't get counted as they aren't in the hotel association.

Corpus Christi, I'd love to see the crime statistics, it is so easy to watch, a perfect environment. As times get worse, maybe we'll see territory claimed, things will only worsen.

Terri and Daniel Anduce were installing alarm systems. I had a neighbor who hired a security guard to sit on his roof all night. It let everyone know when he was off the island. All you can try to do is to make yourself appear less inviting and easier to hit the house down the block.

#14 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:43 AM

I walked by an alarm place a bunch, I think. Think on a corner. Maybe Ave 5 and Calle 8 or 6? Think it was the SE corner. Don't know a think about them. Of course with my Spanish it could have been a day spa.....:P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#15 meganmalexan

meganmalexan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:12 AM

Hopefully it isn't an urban myth and the number is actually for which fogger truck is supposed to do your street.... :(

(I guess it would be bad form to hire a guy to sit in your house and kick the cr*p outta them when they come in?)

Yeah...I think that's what I need to do. I just don't have any extra cash anymore after being robbed so many d times! I think I need to get el Zorro over here...aka Antonio Banderas.....that would make the situation better! :D

#16 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,072 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:56 AM

Yeah...I think that's what I need to do. I just don't have any extra cash anymore after being robbed so many d times! I think I need to get el Zorro over here...aka Antonio Banderas.....that would make the situation better! :D

Your home is less than two blocks from where Valli got her purse stolen from her basket last week. She was near the intersection of Ave 15 and Calle 11 when it happened. People living in Corpus Christi need to be particularly careful right now. Not only is the neighborhood known as an enclave for foreign homes, but the streets are mostly off the beaten path and typically deserted. Extra vigilance is called for.

The good property managers must have their hands full about now.

As for me, I never leave the island without someone lined up to stay in my place while I'm gone and I ask them to do stuff every day like: turn off and on different lights at night, turn the radio on at night, hang out towells or a hose end on a upstairs terrace. Lean a broom and bucket somewhere it can be seen from the street and then move it the next day. Anything that makes the place look lived in.

I also took a good hard look at the walls around my house last year. Where the wall is less than 9 feet, I added double pronged iron arrows spaced 4" apart. (Nauticab's iron man is a great one to handle this for you at a fair price if you want to explore that option.) Suffice it to say that they might get into my house by battering down my front gate, but they ain't climbing in over any walls, let me tell you.

#17 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:04 AM

The key is to be less attractive and harder to get into than the neighbors place.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#18 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:59 AM

The key is to be less attractive and harder to get into than the neighbors place.

That reminds me that you don't need to outrun the grizzly, only your hiking companion.

We have the wireless alarm system installed by Terri and Daniel. Very reasonable, very loud, modular (motion detectors, vibration detectors, open/close detectors), move it with you (we've done this once) and reinstall it.

You can reach them at: 987-115-0637 or guardiansiemprealerta@gmail.com

#19 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

• Members
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:09 PM

who is Terri and Daniel, and Guardian?

What happens when your alarm goes off?

You say it makes sound, is there more then just noise?

Is it connected to the Internet/phone?
Who responds?
Does anyone respond?
How fast is the response?
How long does this "noise" last?

I am not busting your chops here, but I would hate to live next door, or within the block of you and have this NOISE going on, and nobody responds.

You have the system, so perhaps you can fill me/us in...cuz most likely I am not going to contact them without knowing why you purchased it.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#20 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,072 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:22 PM

[quote name='Coz2wonder' date='20 September 2011 - 01:09 PM' timestamp='1316542155' post='14229']
who is Terri and Daniel, and Guardian?

Terri and Daniel used to own and run CoCo's down on the plaza next to Banamex before both closed down. Daniel is a Mexican National and they've both been here forever. Doing business with them would be safe and reliable would be my guess.

I also am interested in the details of how your system works.

You know, it's just occurred to me that stickers might work better than anything. My parents had an ADT alarm system put in their house in Bethesda, MD and she had some extra shield stickers left over. I put one on my front door in NC and was never robbed again.

I think I will look into having some stickers made with a fake Mexican surveillance name on them. Red and white in the shape of a shield.

It would say Electronic Protection by and the name of the company and all in Spanish. It's on my list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users