Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:46 PM

I'm going to do it. Laugh all you like.
ADVERTANCIA!
esta propiedad es protejida por seguiridad electronica
SEP in big logo letters (stands for Electronic Security Protection) and then at the bottom of the shield shaped sticker done in red white and black, tiny letters with an address and phone number in D.F.. Where I bought the system.

Heck I think I can make it up in photoshop and print it myself on sticker paper which my daughter has in the US.

I will let people know how the manufacturering process goes if anyone else is interested. I know it will work. Read a study on it once a long time ago. Supposed to be about 90% as effective as actually having the real mccoy. Of course its not going to work on professional crews who will see right through it. Or an inside job. But I have a hunch it will fool local little gangs.

#23 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:53 PM

Oh you are right it will help. As long as you don't get the drunk/high burglars who won't notice it. There are some of those out there. Find a 'real' one and make it close to that. I know alarm companies up here jealously guard their little signs because of that. Of course I have seen crews that just cut the phone line first. The cellular back up is more expensive.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#24 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

The drunk high burglars will impale themselves on my very sharp iron spikes if they try to get over the wall.

#25 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:13 PM

The drunk high burglars will impale themselves on my very sharp iron spikes if they try to get over the wall.

You would be surprised how lucky drunk/high burglars get. I could tell you stories....

You could get a copy of Home Alone and copy some ideas?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#26 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:17 PM

it might be worth house sitting just to watch somebody try a "drunk/high burglary".

What about those signs with the EYES looking at you...

I like the alarms that sounds like a big ugly barking dog...

Guess Neighborhood Watch signs are out?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#27 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:30 PM

The sign should say

“Advertencia: Esta propiedad está custodiada por Smith y Wesson. Ladrones y los intrusos - Le disparó para matar en donde estan parados...”
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#28 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:20 PM

The sign should say

“Advertencia: Esta propiedad está custodiada por Smith y Wesson. Ladrones y los intrusos - Le disparó para matar en donde estan parados...”

Thank goodness guns are very hard to get here! Only the policia, the military and the narcotrafficers have them.

#29 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scubadiving, underwater photography. Landscape and people photography

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:13 PM

Carey how about instead of a sticker of an alarm company have several made up with a picture of large German Shepherd with the saying "I can make it from the house to the gate in 2 seconds Can you?" Glad I'm bringing the large German Shepherd I own with me when the wife and I move down next May. And possibly thinking about a 2nd one oh yeah. :D
Breath in Breath out move on

#30 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:20 PM

my suegra has a pit mix that we bring over to play with our 2 large labs. people we know and trust are deathly afraid of her. she is very territorial and since our neighbor is building, she is visiting her cousins much more frequently. :)
fortunately, the owner of the house being built has also hired a long time trusting worker to stay in the bodega every night until the construction is complete. this has helped us feel a bit more secure with all the workers there every day. his wife and daughter visit too. the kids from the school who like to graffiti the walls are not doing it and also not throwing glass bottles in the street since he has been around. so i kinda like it.
they have an army of guys working, but some are locals and their wives come to get them after work some days. all stay clear of our gate.

just one more lot left. we want it but the guy doubled the price. ridiculous.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#31 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:40 PM

Thank goodness guns are very hard to get here! Only the policia, the military and the narcotrafficers have them.

I wont even go down that road. It surely is safer with JUST the policia, the military and the narcotrafficers having them.....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#32 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

9 years ago I spent my 1st Christmas vacation on the island with my boyfriend (now my husband, he's a local guy). We left his apartment and was traveling to his parent's house late Christmas Eve on his moped. About 1/2 a mile from the house at a stop sign, a nicely dressed local woman came frantically running out of her house and approached us waving her hands in the air saying (in spanish) "Did you see my turkey?, Where's my turkey?" and several other panicked questions I couldn't decifer. After calming her down and continuing onward, my boyfriend said that she had a huge spread of food ready for a Xmas Eve party and had stepped out for minute to a neighbor's home to ask for something and in the interim... someone had walked into her home (she left the door unlocked) and the food thieves not only swiped the bird but a lot of the fixins as well right off of her holiday table. Hungry burglars I suppose. I guess people look for opportunity wherever they can when they are desperate. Stealing a turkey from a dinner table doesn't amount to breaking and entering and stealing $1000s of items or someone's identity, but the poor lady was crushed. That was my first 'criminal' experience in Cozumel... there have been others but none as serious as the stalking you all are describing here in the post.. hope I never am on the receiving end of it.

#33 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:38 PM

Figured I would post it here, as I don't want to post it on Valli's trip report.

If I am the guy you are referring to in :Some have made a few jokes about steps that could be taken to minimize these activities, and while at some level I can appreciate the humour and meaning; however, in the event you have been a victim, it just isn’t so funny.

I apologize if you think I am making light of crime in the face of you being a victim. That certainly wasn't my intent. Crime happens and will continue to happen because some people suck. I am also very much in favor of being aware and prepared. Perhaps my humor was intended to lighten the situation. As for being a victim of crime, I have been assaulted by criminals a number of times. I have had things stolen. Additionally I have spent a lot of times in the presence of victims of horrific crimes. That is not to make light of your experience but maybe to put it in perspective. The loss of a few material items doesn't compare to being injured. Home burglaries do carry that additional feeling of being violated, but still material items.

My point is don't let the criminals "win". They may take your money and stuff, don't let them take your sense of humor. Heck call them SOBs. If you see the guy again you can tell him to his face, you can spit in his eye, you can make him eat sand out of the road, you can shoot him in the foot and I'll hold him for you, but don't let them affect your life. Does that make sense at all?

But again, I certainly didn't mean to give offense. I can be irreverent and jaded at times. However, had I been there I would have risked my personal safety to get your stuff back, so I do, in a way, take it seriously.

Of course if you weren't referring to me then I look like an idiot for posting this.... But you are in the El Moro Clan, so I couldn't take a chance on you being mad at me!

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#34 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:55 PM

who is Terri and Daniel, and Guardian?

What happens when your alarm goes off?

You say it makes sound, is there more then just noise?

Is it connected to the Internet/phone?
Who responds?
Does anyone respond?
How fast is the response?
How long does this "noise" last?

I am not busting your chops here, but I would hate to live next door, or within the block of you and have this NOISE going on, and nobody responds.

You have the system, so perhaps you can fill me/us in...cuz most likely I am not going to contact them without knowing why you purchased it.

A very loud siren - VERY LOUD. Then the system calls any phone that program into the system (up to five numbers and calls them in turn if the first does not answer). You can disarm or reset the alarm. You can also listen (there is a microphone on the base station) and try to determine if someone is in your house. There is no security company to respond since no one offers that service here (that I am aware of).

The only ones who respond are the people you designate or your neighbors who wonder what the hell is going on. The system has never had a false alarm. The siren goes for five minutes. We fully expect anyone who initiates the alarm to leave quickly. It is painful to be in the house while the alarm is going off.

We purchased it because we have too much to lose.

M

#35 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:20 PM

security ant is the alarm company on the north end referred to here in this thread. i am quite sure it is connected with onsite folks who will COME TO THE HOUSE when the alarm goes off. my neighbor has ADT alarm company. the cops got there quick enough to get the guys as they were leaving the house.

security ant is owned and operated by my friend miguel silva. i know he will be happy to give you a free estimate and ways to secure your home/business.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#36 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:57 PM

That is not to make light of your experience but maybe to put it in perspective. The loss of a few material items doesn't compare to being injured. Home burglaries do carry that additional feeling of being violated, but still material items.

My point is don't let the criminals "win". They may take your money and stuff, don't let them take your sense of humor.
But again, I certainly didn't mean to give offense. I can be irreverent and jaded at times. However, had I been there I would have risked my personal safety to get your stuff back, so I do, in a way, take it seriously.

Well done response, Chief.

#37 lovethetruth

lovethetruth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:44 PM

My two cents, I have also heard about the numbers and graffiti in the chosen house, and some sort of neighbourhood watch works pretty well, most people know the people next door to an extent even if not best friends.
Having a telephone tree would be a good system. Some of my friends who own homes in Cozumel (especially Corpus area as mentioned) have managed to catch the thieves in the act by having a neighbourhood watch.
Believe it or not in some cases the culprit or master mind behind was related to a particular agency, needless to say be very careful as to whom you give a key to. A very good friend does not believe in giving keys to anybody or have anybody come in the house whilst they are away and touch wood has never been robed

#38 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

If you ask any security guy or cop what would be the one thing to have (if you could only have one) to prevent burglaries is a large dog.

Cozumel Diving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users